To bring my son to the gym or not......

Options
The owner of my gym recently converted his office into a Kid Room; tv/dvd player/cable, toys, desk, coloring books, etc. It's basically for self sufficient kids to occupy themselves (bc there's no attendant there to watch them) while their parent(s) workout. I've seen kids from ages 3-9 use it & be fine. I've been a little nervous to leave me son alone in there, even tho he's a VERY independant 3yr old. He's played in there before w/ me & has asked me repeatedly to go back & play w/ the "gym toys". I'm going to bring him w/ me tomorrow for a trial run, literally bc I'm just going long enough for a run lol. I'm going to keep the door cracked, the sliding window open & he will know EXACTLY where I am (the treadmills are right next to the room, about 4 ft from the kid room door). Idk why I'm rambling about this but there it is. I'm nervous. Any of my mom friends go thru this? Do you think he's too young or am I just being an overly worrisome mom?

Replies

• rumplesnat
    Options
    No way.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If its just an office with a door, I would say no. My son is 4 now and gets in enough trouble now at the gym daycare with 2 sitters in there. Having no one watch a few kids is bad news.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'd only use this as Option 2. I think you'd have a more relaxed workout and be able to focus on your own goals better if he could stay home under someone else's care while you go to the gym. If that's not an option and you want to give it a try, you might need to consider that a 3-year-old may not want to stay in the kid's room for as long as you want to work out. Now that spring is coming, there's always the jogging stroller as an option - he might like that.

One more thing to consider - gyms are a breeding ground for bacteria and you might not want to expose a small child to that. I got a nasty skin infection on my face a while ago just from wiping my hand across my nose after using the elliptical. Two rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If you're right there, four feet away and you can see the door, then it's not a dangerous situation. It does get a little iffy if you can't see the door or if an older kid goes in; there's no way to tell what's going on.

I have little children too, and it's difficult to exercise when you have them, but just know that you may have to modify what you do and maybe even put it off, but you'll never regret keeping your child safe.

Best wishes.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'd go ahead with it only if I could see that door on every piece of gym equipment I use since there is no attendant.

Also be willing to stay home with him if he gets sick because he will be exposed to more germs, can't be helped, it's that way in preschool and on playgrounds and everywhere else kids are, too.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I think an adult needs to be in the room.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    As tempting as it is, I wouldn't do it. I can't imagine how you would keep your eye on the door continuously. Chances are that nothing negative would happen, and you would become more relaxed about watching the room--at which point anything could happen. An older child could be using inappropriate language or inappropriate touch. An adult could enter the room on the premise of picking up their own child and then... Most likely the issue is not what your little guy might be doing, but what other people could be doing. I have a very hard time believing that the gym owner doesn't see having children unsupervised on his premises as a very bad idea.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it. Bookshelf/cabinet tipping over by accident, other kids being inappropriate, etc. I have kids ages 8,3 and 1 and I get a sitter or don't go.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't leave my children with out an attendent or sitter. Even if I could gaurentee they would be well behaved (and lets face it, I can't), there is no way I could vouche for the other children that may be there.