I have $7 for groceries.

Options

Replies

• ashleyb2000
    ashleyb2000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ramen is cheap and filling, but its super bad for you!!!! my grandma was reading on it and it has the same type of wax as candles, not a lot but some. and its loaded with carbs, starch and salt. get regular spaghetti noodles instead.
  • Buzymomof_3
    Buzymomof_3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like going to a food bank (where you probably will have to answer questions), don't forget about soup kitchens! I've volunteered at some and they don't ask questions, just serve whoever is in line.

Google San Diego and soup kitchens. There are lots and you can supplement your budget by going there. No asking or anything, usually you just show up, eat and leave. Might be easier to take. Some even send sandwiches home with you for later.

http://sandiego.networkofcare.org/veterans/services/subcategory.aspx?tax=BD-5000.8300
    I know it says for vetrans, but a lot of the places are for everyone

http://voices.yahoo.com/san-diego-area-soup-kitchens-free-meals-7686108.html

Remember - hunger is not an option, you need to eat.

Good Luck!
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of a food bank I can go to tomorrow. Thanks, everyone!
    I have never been to one, so I don't know what I will get, but I just want to stretch out my food as long as possible.

And no, this is not a joke. I literally have $7 for a few weeks.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to echo a previous poster-- if you are a college student, I would suggest that you go to the financial aid office and see if you can get on a meal plan. Even if you need to go to another office, they will know where to point you to.
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Definitely if you have an Aldi, go there! He is a link to their ad! What you could do is go to your closest local grocery stores and get their ads and see what you can get the most of with your money. You could even try breaking it up between weeks.

http://weeklyads.aldi.us/aldi/default.aspx?action=entryflash&

ETA: Def go to your local food pantries though, like others suggested. They may be able to help you with a lot of staples. Which can help out a ton. So try and go to the food pantry before shopping with your 7$. That way you know what you can get to make your 7$ go further with the donated food you get.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Rice is dirt cheap....beans will get you protein....find the biggest bag of green veggies that you can add to the beans and rice and you might be able to live on that for a while. Either way, go to your schools financial aid office. They may be able to help you out by directing you to help or they may know of charities that help kids out while they are in school.
  • mrfrodogetdown
    mrfrodogetdown Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm actually pretty much in the same spot as you, just I have a bit more in my cupboards.

As for what to get that you might not (want to) get at a food bank-

Bread and eggs. Cheap, and will do quite a few meals.

Fill in the gaps from what you get at the food bank with what little $$ you have. Maybe a head of lettuce or a pack of meat or something.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Beans, pasta, canned soup... You could easily make pasta with sauce several times, have a can of beans (try cannelini or kidney) and maybe put the curry sauce on it? You could make a bean salad with chickpeas and feta (if it's in your budget, maybe get a tomato and a cucumber). Canned soup is an easy dinner as well.

I think bananas are also pretty inexpensive and they're a great snack. A big 42 oz tub of Quaker oatmeal is about $3 where I live and it has about a 30 servings in it I think so that will also last a while.

DO NOT BUY CANNED SOUP! What a waste of money!! You can make a giant pot of soup that will last you a month for the price of 2 cans.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I wish my mom were still here ... she spent several years on the streets in San Diego and then in low income housing, and knew all the wonderful places to go for food. I know there was a church near by her off of 11th & J that brought her boxes of food twice a month once she got a studio. Check out the resources posted, and I wish you the very very best of luck. Never be afraid to ask for help, honey - that's why those of us can give back, do. *HUG* And if there's anything I can promise - it does get better.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of a food bank I can go to tomorrow. Thanks, everyone!
    I have never been to one, so I don't know what I will get, but I just want to stretch out my food as long as possible.

And no, this is not a joke. I literally have $7 for a few weeks.

Yes, definitely go to a food bank! They'll probably provide you with canned and boxed goods. You can use the $7 for fresh things like eggs, milk and fresh fruit or vegetables. Good luck! Definitely don't hesitate to ask for help again. A lot of us have been there and would be more than willing to help if we can. :heart:
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Also, a big value size (usually big bags on the bottom shelf) of the off brand cereal.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    a dozen eggs, dried beans, rice

this....and contact the local food bank
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    And they have to last me til March 11th or as long as possible.
    I have currently: condiments, feta cheese, marinara sauce, and Indian curry sauce.

What should I buy?

If that's really all you have I'd be happy to send you some money. Let me know.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You need to get protein. Eggs and breans are good choices, like the others said. You can buy a chicken! I have 10, and I always can depend on them for eggs, Time to go fishing! Barter with friends....I'll babysit for $20 bucks.....take some clothes to The Clothes Mentor for cash on the spot! Where there's a will there's a way.
  • jmmcs
    jmmcs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Have any unused games/electronics/computers/etc? You won't get much for them, but you could sell the used games to gamestop, sell computer scrap on ebay/cragislist etc.

Also, a pawn shop might be worth a shot.

You probably won't get a sustainable amount of food with 7 bucks
  • brittrose33
    Options
    Beans, rice and eggs. I once lived off a cup of rice a day for over a month since my work had barely any shifts to give me, and rent was expensive. I feel your pain. You'd be surprised how many different ways you can make beans and rice! Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I could do a week for that amount. But no more. Just rice and beans for all my calories would cost me about $0.70 per day.

Some stores throw out perfectly good food. Don't take this as an insult, some people who _could_ buy food, dumpster dive to supplement their budgets. I didn't read every response here, but if you're interested, some people see it as a very "green" thing to do. http://freegan.info/
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Get to the food bank! There is nothing to be ashamed of. I have been on L&I for over 2 years and finally went to the food bank in September. I was shocked at how much food I got, an entire cart full! I thank every one of the volunteers every time I go. I can go 2x a month and it has been a life saver! I am lucky, our community has Safeway, Fred Meyer, Costco, Walmart, Winco, Target, Haggen, Starbucks and Albertsons and they all donate! Don't struggle and be hungry, get the help you need and if you feel bad about it just know that you can volunteer your time and money when circumstances change for you. GO!!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You are also young and cute....let a guy take you out to dinner. Show up at your friends' houses if they can help. You can babysit. wash cars, wash windows, clean houses, iron, tutor, do whatever to make a few dollars to tide you over if you cant go to a food bank or dont qualify.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Check with your school to see if they offer emergency loans. . . . usually $50 to $100 that has to be paid back by the end of the semester.