is the recumbent stationary bike really exercise?

Options
the stationary bikes where you are seated with back support....

is this really exercise? thats what i wondered to myself after doing it for 60 min while watching TV lol

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    does it get your heart rate up? if so then yeah
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep your heart rate up and are sweating. I do this 5 times a week for 60 minutes plus dieting and have lost 15 pounds in a month and a half. My shirt is very wet after and I'm dripping with sweat while exercsing. HR of 150-180
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    does it get your heart rate up? if so then yeah
    [/

:)
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just because you are seated differently doesn't mean it isn't exercise. It still gets your heart rate up, and if you are actually putting in real effort (such as going faster or upping the resistance), it can be great exercise. So yes!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my recumbent bike! It has an adjustable tension so it can feel like I am riding uphill. Yep, it conts as exercise cuz I get 'er going - I sweat and my heart rate soars!
  • gthompson001
    gthompson001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It certainly is a cardio exercise. I took rehab after having a stent placed and the rehab staff counted it. It burns calories; my bike estimates calories burned. It raises your heart rate. What more do you want in order to count it as exercise??? It counts!
  • CHexham
    Options
    ...not to mention that it's GREAT for HIIT! Use a Tabata Routine; after a few minutes warm up, hit it for eight sets of twenty second hard, fast cycling, followed by ten seconds of slower peddling while you (try to) catch your breath.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    who says you have to sweat for it to be considered *real* exercise?

I'm still in recovery mode from a head on collision, and I'm not breaking a sweat,
    but I'm working muscles, toning and strengthening them

I have a balance board I stand on while watching TV.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I biked 23 miles (two workouts, 1 hour each) yesterday on my recumbent bike. I was drenched in sweat both times. So, yep. I count it.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have and use one... but I have to make sure I am doing it at a level of good cardio...if I don't, I will slack.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The bike works for me! I try to maintain 14-17 mph on the fatburn setting while the resistance goes up and down. 35-40 min I can maintain my heart rate at about 145.. So yes, it is REAL exercise. Then again, walking to the copy machine is real exercise!
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    It's all I use for cardio, I do an hour on level 10 out of 12 doing hill profile, basically 1 minute of increasing resistance followed by one minute of less resistance and combined with diet not only have I lost 19 lbs since 1/1/13 but I've notice quite a bit more definition in my legs.

If you are sitting there on level 1 it won't be all that great, but better than nothing