Sugar or Salt?

Options
What is worse for you--too much sugar or too much salt? I'm having a difficult time keeping both of these numbers in check. I usually have only one or the other in the green. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I believe that sugar will raise your blood sugar levels and have an affect on your ability to burn fat...and give you those highs and lows that are not supposed to be good for us. As far as salt is concerned, besides making you bloated because of water retention (which can be solved with increasing your water intake), unless you have kidney, blood pressure or any salt affected health issues, it will not affect your ability to lose weight. (I'm a Lean Cuisine lover and it has not affected me!)

That being said...anything in excess is not supposed to be good for us...and everyone is different. Good luck and best wishes!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Eat less prepackaged foods. Eat more foods that don't have labels/packaging.
  • mjnyx
    mjnyx Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll keep it in mind.
  • shrinkingjackie
    Options
    please be sugar because I Love my salt....
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    to much of anythings bad for you just keep it in control and dont worry about it
  • mjnyx
    Options
    to much of anythings bad for you just keep it in control and dont worry about it

Of course, I understand too much of anything is bad for you. But it's already confusing enough tracking carbs, fats, proteins, and sugar. Add salt in the mix and what the heck can I eat besides fresh vegetables?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    don't sweat the small stuff
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes, please. A little of each, every day. :smokin:
  • mjnyx
    Options
    But if I don't have to keep a super close eye on just sugar or salt, everything would be so much easier lol. Of course, I know I shouldn't go overboard, but I'm thinking as far as weight loss goes, sugar is the one to keep better tabs on.
  • djames92
    Options
    just dont eat alot of candy cookies cake and things like that but if you go over your sugar because of fruit dont really worry about it. and as far as sodium goes just dont eat to much processed foods and dont cover your plate with salt and youll be fine
    that make a little more sense?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yes, please. A little of each, every day. :smokin:

:flowerforyou:
  • mjnyx
    Options
    just dont eat alot of candy cookies cake and things like that but if you go over your sugar because of fruit dont really worry about it. and as far as sodium goes just dont eat to much processed foods and dont cover your plate with salt and youll be fine

Most of my sugar comes in the forms of fructose (fruit) and lactose (dairy). But in the end--table sugar, fruit sugar, or even simple carbohydrates--your body sees it all as the same thing--sucrose. Sugar.

As far as processed, I'm trying to steer as clear from it as possible, but a lot of times it's hard to do when you're on a tight budget.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I dont think it really matters unless you have some underlying medical issue. I'm going to use that word that everyone hates MODERATION!!!!
  • djames92
    Options

Most of my sugar comes in the forms of fructose (fruit) and lactose (dairy). But in the end--table sugar, fruit sugar, or even simple carbohydrates--your body sees it all as the same thing--sucrose. Sugar.

As far as processed, I'm trying to steer as clear from it as possible, but a lot of times it's hard to do when you're on a tight budget.
    in that case i think you are fine
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I love my sugar lol but i eat too much processed foods so I'm trying to cut back.