"Starvation Mode"

Options
So I usually am way under my recommended calories each day after eating and exercising. Am I putting myself in "starvation mode"? I am not hungry and don't want to force more food down if I don't want it and don't need it.

Replies

• rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Some people just eat a lot less. If you're happy under 1200 and no anorexic or bulemic, then great.

Remember, it's not the food you're against. It's the extra pounds and fat. Food is your friend, just not in big portions, super sized or deep fat fried. Simple is better than complex. That kind of stuff.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Depends on your calorie goal. If your goal is 1200, then yes, for the love of all things holy, force yourself to eat at least that. If your calorie goal is 2200 and you're eating 1700, I wouldn't freak out too much. At the end of the day, make sure you "net" at least your BMR (which you can find by googling "BMR Calculator").

Edit to add: BMR is what the doctors would force-feed you through a tube if you were laying in a bed comatose. It is the bare minimum to keep your organs functioning. Please don't go under it :flowerforyou:
  • tadjo
    tadjo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If your not hungry don't eat...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a highly debated topic around here and often misunderstood. Ignoring the term, there can be negative impact on eating too little.
    You don't have to stuff yourself with food to get more calories, look at calorie dense food. a table spoon of olive oil on a salad (there are tons of great recipes for oil dressings) is another 100 calories or so. A tablespoon of peanut butter with your apple, another 100 calories or so. Handful of nuts, some avocado on your salad, even cheese. All little things that an add up and offer nutritional benefit as well.
    I often find people who can 't make their calorie goal are still using "diet" food. They choose low calorie or low fat versions of food - like milk, yogurt, cheese, salad dressing, and those low calorie snacks. Even selecting a different cut of meat can add calories. Salmon instead of white fish. There are tons of ways to up calories without adding bulk.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Hunger is not always a reliable sign. Anorexics often don't feel hunger yet are starving. Some overweight people can experience constant hunger even though they do not need more food.
  • becfly
    becfly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you meeting your calorie goals before you exercise? If your target goal is 1200 and you eat 1200 calories before your exercise is calculated in, then I wouldn't eat more. After you log exercise it says you've gained an extra (how ever many more) calories. Don't feel like you have to eat more just because it says you can but if you are hungry eat. Listen to your body.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Hunger is not always a reliable sign. Anorexics often don't feel hunger yet are starving. Some overweight people can experience constant hunger even though they do not need more food.

Sad but true. I know this from experience.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I reach 1200 most days but some I dont and I found that making myself eat that many calories when Im no longer hungry makes me nauseated. If I eat over my intake I feel sick to my stomach and get a headache.I dont exercise everyday but 3 times a week 30 to 40 mins each.Im 4ft 10in and overwieght still even after losing 15lbs since Jan 1st,when I get closer to my goal I think my calories may go up a few but not sure Im not there yet.

Im not as hungry as I use to be.
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stuff yourself with food to get more calories, look at calorie dense food. a table spoon of olive oil on a salad (there are tons of great recipes for oil dressings) is another 100 calories or so. A tablespoon of peanut butter with your apple, another 100 calories or so. Handful of nuts, some avocado on your salad, even cheese. All little things that an add up and offer nutritional benefit as well.
    ^^^^^this
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I reach 1200 most days but some I dont and I found that making myself eat that many calories when Im no longer hungry makes me nauseated. If I eat over my intake I feel sick to my stomach and get a headache.I dont exercise everyday but 3 times a week 30 to 40 mins each.Im 4ft 10in and overwieght still even after losing 15lbs since Jan 1st,when I get closer to my goal I think my calories may go up a few but not sure Im not there yet.

At 4'10 1200 calories or even a bit under (I don't have all your stats) is likely a decent goal.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Only in America would everyone be tripping out that you want to eat less than 1200 calories. You aren't going to drop dead. At the same time we will all start to wonder what caused you to need to diet in the first place?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Only in America would everyone be tripping out that you want to eat less than 1200 calories. You aren't going to drop dead. At the same time we will all start to wonder what caused you to need to diet in the first place?

Yeah, not in America. No one ever put on weigh eating 1200 calories per day. No one said she will drop dead, but There are a whole host of reasons why eating too little isn't a great idea. If you want to lose weight, fine, go ahead and eat as little as you can stand for as long as you can. I'm looking at the big picture, achievable and sustainable weight loss and health.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

At 4'10 1200 calories or even a bit under (I don't have all your stats) is likely a decent goal.

Well Im 134 and my goal is 105 my ideal wieght.That wieght seems to have suited me well before my two daughters 19 months apart.Youngest turns a year March 9th.
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I said the exact same thing - just recently actually - and did a lot of research and a few posts... I was watching carbs, thinking "bad!"... But once I started meeting a goal (the one set by my trainer, and making sure that every meal (generally 6 per day) had a carb and protein each time (losing to the rumor no carbs after a certain time), based on research I did to combat late night cravings and proper nutrition, I noticed a bit of weight loss where I was having none - or worse, a gain and loss of same couple pounds... of course this is also burning calories with cardio and doing strength training too...

The person who said add little things is right - some sun flower seeds, almonds, a bit of flax seed or olive oil really does help and it's healthy... I may have a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese but I'll add strawberries or seeds or nuts to it for extra boost of protein and it's not much more but helps to meet the calories...
  • StalenaW
    Options
    thanks for the input everyone! Very appreciated and insightful.