Fruit Instead of Sweets? You Can't Be Serious!

Options

Replies

• CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe in the new Health magazine this week that looks delicious. You melt some dark chocolate in a bowl with a bit of olive oil. Then you dip some banana slices in it. Then you put some chopped almonds on them. Place in the freezer and enjoy once frozen. It will be a sweet/fruity treat.

You are my new best friend.
  • ssami_89
    Options
    My name is Samantha and Im addicted to candy :/ but I recently bought apples instead...

Ahhhh.. I experience this dilemma everytime I go to the store..
    I don't see them putting fruit at the checkouts, they put all that delicious looking candy out there...
    But I always buy the fruit instead and weep a little in my head :/

With every bite of my apple no doubt im thinking of a candy bar and sweet tarts. I pout when I eat fruit I dont see it any other way
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit.... but I also allow myself a bit of candy or these amazing caramel wafers. I just watch my portions and only allow myself one or the other in the evenings. The fruit I eat during the day with my lunch, in a smoothie, or for a snack.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The 100 cal packs really help me with my sweet tooth. The yogurt pretzels are sweet and salty! I also get low cal ice cream bars that help. I can't just have fruit for dessert.
  • spinnybecky
    Options
    If I'm comparing an apple to a slice of delicious lemon cake, then I totally see your point.

However - there have been many times, definitely not this time of year but in the summer, when I pick up a slightly warm, juicy piece of fruit from the farmer's market and I'm eating it while standing outside in the sunshine, and it is at that perfect, sweet, flavorful stage, where I have honestly thought that there isn't a dessert in the world that could compare to that fruit, at that moment. I'm thinking of a firm, juicy peach or nectarine, or fresh picked raspberries, or a perfectly ripe mango.

But yeah...this time of year when all that's in my fruit bowl are hard apples, it isn't quite so appealing.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hmm... Not sure on this one.

I generally don't like sweet things. But every now and then, some grapes, frozen berries or bananas can hit the spot. I like 'em. But since I don't like sweet things, I have nothing to compare fruits with... Except maybe my dark chocolate.
    And no, fruit is no worthy substitute for my dark chocolate.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I am craving sweets and fruit just won't cut it I cook a package of sweetened instant oatmeal. Sure, it's not chocolate cake, but it's definitely sweet and desserty sort of, so it helps.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When someone tells me to enjoy a piece of fruit instead of sweets, I feel like a little kid hearing, "No, you can't keep the puppy - but we'll get you a goldfish!"

As a chocolate lover I say.... EXACTLY!!!!
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My name is Samantha and Im addicted to candy :/ but I recently bought apples instead...

Ahhhh.. I experience this dilemma everytime I go to the store..
    I don't see them putting fruit at the checkouts, they put all that delicious looking candy out there...
    But I always buy the fruit instead and weep a little in my head :/

With every bite of my apple no doubt im thinking of a candy bar and sweet tarts. I pout when I eat fruit I dont see it any other way

Try a tablespoon of peanut butter with that apple and see if that helps...it makes my Granny Smith apples something to look forward to!! YUMMY!
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What happens to me is that I'll have the fruit "instead" and then half an hour later I'll give in and have the sweets too. :blushing:

This too :)
  • earlswimsuit
    Options
    Unless its vegan chocolate........fruits are so much better!
  • withoutfail
    Options
    I'm a fan of heavy whipping cream + protein powder for a nice flavored mousse with minimal carbs.
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If I really want to have the chocolate or whatever badly enough, I'll just do it. I just make sure to split it with somebody else and only eat the recommended serving size. lol. That is usually a turn off. If I'm still willing to waste 300 calories on something as empty as 12 Doritos, then I just eat them because I must really really want the damn things.

However, if you live in an area with a good shop selling foreign snacks, There are these magic little snack bags of mixed nuts and deliciousness that are seasoned to be spicy. From India.... called.... Hairdems or something. They are a God send and usually squish any chip craving. I never even end up eating a full 50g.

Or pocky. It's chocolate. On a stick. One pack is about 190 calories and they satisfy.

When I decided I wanted to be healthier, I didn't say I'd break up with junk food so I've been digging around to find better options of the same or similar things. Like chocolate.

I find North American snack foods to just be the devil though. We like it bad here. lol
  • Petef82
    Petef82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    do you have to include fruit in your calorie diary. I think fruit should be a free snack as encouragement to avoid sweets
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a quite from my childhood....

The answer to the question "whats for dessert?" saw usually met with "fruit or yoghurt"....

My favourite 'candy' is peas from the pod, but they have to be from your pea vines because they aren't anything like as sweet when they have been picked for an hour or more......."country boy's sherbert".

And yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts re: the pea thing, but they really are that sweet.
  • jb1164
    jb1164 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like cake.

in fact, I had this tonight... limoncello marscapone cake.

april_limoncello350x250.jpg

Did you make this?
    If so, could you post the recipe and calorie count, please?
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Fruit is "free" on Weight Watchers. That's how I learned that I really can drink three smoothies a day . . . and that fruit isn't "free" at all. I gained weight and still wanted the Twizzlers.
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    HA! I agree. Lately I have been cutting up a piece of dark chocolate and mixing it in with plan Greek yogart. Not a piece of chocolate cake, but better than fruit!
  • KristyWalker83
    KristyWalker83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What happens to me is that I'll have the fruit "instead" and then half an hour later I'll give in and have the sweets too. :blushing:

Oh man! I'm glad I'm not the only one!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When someone tells me to enjoy a piece of fruit instead of sweets, I feel like a little kid hearing, "No, you can't keep the puppy - but we'll get you a goldfish!"

As a chocolate lover I say.... EXACTLY!!!!

Chocolate dipped fruit

/thread