Gluten Free

Options
I'm going gluten free.

Any tips or things that I should keep in mind?

Replies

• Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Read all labels if you are going to eat any packaged items and if your going out make sure that you check the menu online and see if the manager or head chef can prepare your meal themselves so there wont be any cross contamination. Otherwise it;s pretty easy :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat about 75% gluten-free, and it's really changed my energy levels! Good luck.
  • MrsMeisner
    MrsMeisner Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    healthfulpursuit.com has some great gluten free recipes! I'm not gluten free and even I enjoy the recipes!
  • sumgi123
    Options
    ive recently went on a gluten/dairy free diet..
    i have found that eating a ton of vegetables with chicken or you choice of meat really helps..drink a gallon a water to help with the food cravings also..
    there are various gluten free protein bars and cereals out there that are really delicious..
    why are you cutting on gluten products if i may ask?
  • Buckeye_Fittie
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I'm going GF mainly because I want to cut out as much processed and "white" food out of my diet as I can (i.e. sugar, wheat) and I thought about going raw, but that just seems a little extreme.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat clean you don't have to go gluten free. Gluten is just a wheat protein so unless you have a sensitivity to it there's really no point. You can cut out processed stuff without eliminating gluten. It really won't be any advantage if you don't have a problem with it.
  • Buckeye_Fittie
    Options
    I understand that, however I've found that after going Gluten Free for a short period of time I have smoother digestion (which is problem for me-- even with taking probiotics), clearer skin, and so much more energy.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Is cost a factor for you?

Cutting out processed, bleached flour and laboratory sugars, but keeping the 100% whole grain ones is much cheaper and easier than going fully GF.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Tip: Going gluten-free unless you have Celiac or another intolerance/allergy is ridiculous and an insult to people who actually have those issues. If you're going GF to lose weight/because you think it's healthier, then that's not the case. GF replacements aren't any healthier than their gluten-filled counterparts (e.g. bread, pasta, baked goods, cereal, etc). Also, if you cut something completely out of your diet you could be setting yourself up to some intolerances in the future, should you decide to eat it again.

If you just want to eat lower carb, do that. Gluten isn't some big bad devil that is hindering all your health and weight loss efforts (though Paleo folks will tell you differently). For instance, there is nothing wrong with eating 100% wheat bread or sprouted wheat bread and swapping that for GF bread won't be doing anything different for you nutritionally.

Ugh, fad diets.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Umm how is eating gluten free if your not sensitive or celiac an insult?
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have been GF for over a month. The only recommendattion that I have is to make sure to read all labels if you are going 100% GF. Look for key words like:

Additives (until you find out exactly, steer clear)
    Artificial color
    Brewer's Yeast (other yeast is safe)
    Caramel color (made from barley malt)
    Coloring
    Dextrin (can be made of safe grains, but can also be wheat so don't eat unless you call the manufacturer)
    Dextrimaltose (made from barley)
    Emulsifier
    Filler
    Flavors
    Germ
    Glucose Syrup
    Groats (unless you know specifically it's buckwheat or gluten-free oats)
    Hydrogenated Oils (with the exception of Hydrogenated Soybean oil)
    Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
    Hydrolyzed Plan Protein (HPP)
    Malt (made from barley)
    Malt Vinegar (most other vinegars are ok)
    Modified Food Starch
    Natural Flavor
    Softener
    Smoke Flavoring
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    Tip: Going gluten-free unless you have Celiac or another intolerance/allergy is ridiculous and an insult to people who actually have those issues. If you're going GF to lose weight/because you think it's healthier, then that's not the case. GF replacements aren't any healthier than their gluten-filled counterparts (e.g. bread, pasta, baked goods, cereal, etc). Also, if you cut something completely out of your diet you could be setting yourself up to some intolerances in the future, should you decide to eat it again.

If you just want to eat lower carb, do that. Gluten isn't some big bad devil that is hindering all your health and weight loss efforts (though Paleo folks will tell you differently). For instance, there is nothing wrong with eating 100% wheat bread or sprouted wheat bread and swapping that for GF bread won't be doing anything different for you nutritionally.

Ugh, fad diets.

I HIGHLY disagree with this!! How in the world is cutting out gluten an insult to people with gluten sensitivity? That's ridiculous! My daughter has a sensitivity to gluten, so naturally the whole family has gone gluten free. Well, let me tell you my oldest has told me she is more "regular" with less stomach bloat, my fiance used to have to sit on the toilet for 20 mins to make "something" happen, he commented how much better he feels. My personal experience is I feel less heavy, and ran down.

Now to answer the original question. :) My BIGGEST recommendation is to read all the labels! It's hidden in soooo many foods. If you still enjoy bread then Udo's brand is the BEST! It's amazing toasted. Also the gluten free oatmeal is amazing, and Pamela's brand cereal bars. If you are purchasing convenience food that is gluten free check Amazon, gluten free can be rather expensive when you purchase convenience foods. I purchased the book "The Gluten Free Bible" from Barnes and Nobles, and love it! I make "oatmeal" with quinoa now, and it's super yummy!

Good luck!