Gimme Your Best Oatmeal Combos!

Options
mjnyx
mjnyx Posts: 35
So I enjoy oatmeal with a few tablespoons of brown sugar and some cinnamon and milk. BUT.....I need to change that. WAY too much sugar. I need to spice up my oatmeal WITHOUT too much sucrose.

So everyone, please help me out with some of your favorite oatmeal mix-ins without adding onto the sugar intake too much.

Replies

• SnivyToast
    SnivyToast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Almond butter, diced mangos, a bit of cocoa powder and some stevia

Vanilla protein powder & some berries

1/4 cup apple sauce & cinnamon

1/4 cup canned pumpkin & pumpkin pie spices

I generally add unflavoured protein powder to the ones with out it too.
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I eat my oatmeal with plain Greek yogurt, cinnamon, and a sliced banana mixed in. Tasty! And the Greek yogurt adds that awesome protein and makes it more filling.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    swiss miss, cocoa powder, cook in 1/2 almond milk 1/2 water, and add banana at the end

cook in apple cider, swirl in peanut butter top with cinnamon.. its like eating peanut butter apples in oatmeal form
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with soy milk and always add some ground flaxseed meal and powdered peanut butter.

To sweeten it I add (unsweetened) frozen blueberries, strawberries, and/or raspberries.

Had this for breakfast this morning, actually, and it was amazing!

2mziavb.jpg
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with soy milk and always add some ground flaxseed meal and powdered peanut butter.

To sweeten it I add (unsweetened) frozen blueberries, strawberries, and/or raspberries.

Had this for breakfast this morning, actually, and it was amazing!

2mziavb.jpg
    omg...
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Dried Mango and almond milk with Oatmeal, yummy
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Small green apple and low-fat vanilla yogurt mixed with a half-serve of oatmeal.

It's my daily breakfast :)
  • carbar90
    carbar90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    coconut and blueberries :)

or I add some chia + hemp seed with currants and cranberries
  • gec535
    Options
    Blueberries, Flax Seeds and Agave Nectar for sweetness
  • cielbee
    Options
    I like to dice up an apple and cook it with the oatmeal. Then while it's cooking I toast up some nuts (pecans, walnuts or whatever I have) and sprinkle them on top with some cinnamon.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    oatmeal topped with a half cup of strawberries, blueberries and peaches

oatmeal topped with a half cup of pineapple and a tsp of brown sugar

oatmeal topped with blueberries

oatmeal topped with raspberries

oatmeal topped with black berries

lol..yes I love oatmeal and fruit
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Oats with nutella , peanut butter , cinnamon , protein powder and milk
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    oatmeal in garbage = best combo ever
  • mjnyx
    mjnyx Posts: 35
    Options
    OMG ALL of these sound amazing! And so many things I haven't even thought of before! Thank you, everyone, for making my breakfasts so much healthier!
  • mertecu
    mertecu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    vanilla honey greek yogurt with the oatmeal stirred in ... add 2 Tbsp of wheat germ or flaxsseed for added fullness and flavor.
  • myrnagb1
    Options
    I use raisins and cinnamon only but :smile: if not sweet enough for you add some honey.
  • Mowen06
    Options
    I always mash up a banana and cook it with milk (3 mins in the microwave) and the finish it off with some peanutbutter. Delicious!! :-)
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, almond milk, walnuts and a frozen banana. Nuked 3 minutes.
    I add 1/2 scoop protein powder and 1 tbsp ground flax.
    18 grams of protein.
    Frozen bananas are sweeter and juicier than fresh ones and I love reheating and using them as a pancake toper instead of maple syrup.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    personally, I don't like oatmeal much but my kids cry, whine and even tantrum for it. (Not that I give in to whining or tantrums, but just mentioned it to give you an idea of how much they like oatmeal.)

they usually have it just plain, cooked with milk rather than water for extra nutrition. The older one likes to have frozen blueberries on top, and they sometimes have a handful of cheerios on top. They occasionally have it with a chopped banana, but bananas are scarce to come by in my house because my kids (and husband for that matter) eat them when I'm not looking. Last time I went shopping I bought about ten or twelve bananas, the next day there were only three!!

for a special treat, I make "ice cream" oatmeal using vanilla milk instead of regular milk. I haven't tried this with other flavoured milks but I expect they'd work just as well.