Low back pain when performing squats

I've noticed that I tend to get back pain after performing a few squats with or without using weights. Has anyone else had this problem or does any one know what's causing this problem? :cry:

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I find it to be most noticeable when I squat the day after I deadlift, so I may not be experiencing the same thing you are.

My first instinct says that you might want to work on your flexibility, and if possible, watch yourself squatting in a mirror, or record a few. Check to see if you are kind of 'curling' your butt in as you get deep in the squat. Under normal circumstances, I would think you were bending over a bit too much while squatting, but since you said it happens with or without weight, I seriously doubt it's that.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    What he said. Also, make sure you are engaging your abs, not rounding your back, and that your stance is not too wide or too narrow.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    =)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Do you do any targetted lower back work? In addition to checking out your form and ensuring it's right in the hole, I'd look into adding some low back stuff into your workout. I say that because I have a lot of lower back pain and doing things like hyperextensions and good mornings helped me tremendously.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    It's easy to make you formation sloppy I blank my mind out when the pain comes an notice I start to go sloppy an my back hurts make sure you have a strait back and do go down to far for beginning build your self into it take your time x
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Is it pain or just real stiff? I work out in the morning and I really have to warm up good because my low back is so stiff. But if there is pain after, I'd really consider trying something else or at least check with a doctor because you don't want to make it to where you can never do squats again.

It could be too much weight, there are just too many things to mention that could be the problem. Best of luck to you.

Oops! Didn't see "with or without weight".
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    I was always told that when you're in your squat you should be able to lift your toes, that means you're doing it right. Put most of the weight on your heels, keep your back straight and engage your abs.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    my guess would be either form issues or a lack of lower back/core strength. probably a combo of both. work to correct both of these issues
  • stefgreg0604
    stefgreg0604 Posts: 1 Member
    I am almost positive that your lower back pain is due to incorrect form. If you are doing squats correctly you should feel it in your quads and stomach muscles and not in your lower back. My advice would be to do your squat with a trainer watching you to fix your form!!! Good luck! happy training!:tongue: