Weight for abs to show?

I know there isn't a definite answer for anything... and I know they say you need to hit the 10% body fat mark or lower for abs to show, but is there a good calculator around to figure out around what weight you will need to be for abs to show?

I am currently 177lbs, 66" tall and have a body fat percentage of 21.2%. From this is see that I have a lean body mass of 139lbs, so adding 10% to that, it would be 153lbs. Is this an idea weight to go for to have abs show? Since I will be building some muscle while losing fat, will I see abs show up at a higher weight?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Abs are all about the body fat, not the weight.

But then, it sounds like you already knew that.
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    I know about fat percentage, I am just trying to figure out what target weight to go for so I know about when my body fat percentage will hit 10%. I don't really have a good accurate way to measure body fat, and so a scale is about all I can do.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    You have the right idea
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Take measurements and goto fat2fitradio.com/tools there's a bf% calc there. Its a good estimate. I'm 5'8 ....when I was 165 mine were showing pretty good at 15%... the damn thing is ....you actually have to do abs in your workout....start now...cause they suck.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    I know about fat percentage, I am just trying to figure out what target weight to go for so I know about when my body fat percentage will hit 10%. I don't really have a good accurate way to measure body fat, and so a scale is about all I can do.

Don't go by weight, IMO. Just lift heavy and eat at a slight deficit and judge by mirror - that, and seriously invest in getting your BF% measured every now and then, it'll help.

I'd suggest only having a deficit of 10%, no more... Seriously, dude. You're an eighteen year old male - like me. You're not done growing yet, you don't want to lose LBM or anything stupid like that.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    <<<<12-14% body fat.. at 5'11 200lbs

it also depends on how much mass you have.. 10% body fat on a 140lb guy looks a lot different than 10% body fat on a 190lb guy..
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Starting this week I plan to start doing some lifting 3 days a week, along with some core muscle workouts. I'm going to make sure I don't lose muscle while losing fat. I am going to run a "high" deficit until mid march, and then up my calorie intake to about a 300 calorie deficit. I just want to kick start my weight loss for a month to get to about 170lbs.