Is it impossible to lose weight with a thyroid problem??

Options
2»

Replies

• FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the comments posted. I suffered for years with an undiagnosed thyroid issue. Not all doctors can properly diagnose thyroid problems like hashimoto, which can absolutely impact your ability to lose weight. Check out this site. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Find a doctor who might help you make payments toward your health care or a local low-cost clinic that's willing to help you. Treatment is critical. You don't want this to go on so long that your entire system goes haywire.

Diet and exercise are critical for everyone's good health so it's never too soon to start. Your heart will thank you even if you lose weight slowly. And you'll definitely start seeing some muscle tone if you get moving. These will all help boost your mood and your energy levels. So start now--don't wait for the diagnosis.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I COULD NOT lose weight until my medication was at the correct dosage. I am hypothyroid and take 100 mcg of Levothyroxine, it's only $4 a month at Kroger. It took almost two years before I found the proper dosage, and despite exercise and watching my diet I couldn't lose. Since then, I've managed to slowly lose 33 lbs in about a year.
  • tbullucks06
    Options
    The thyroid isn't something you can control yourself. You need to work with a doctor. Do you have a clinic in your area? I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 6 years ago. It affects A LOT! Do some research on the internet and you will see how important it is to have it regulated.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I COULD NOT lose weight until my medication was at the correct dosage. I am hypothyroid and take 100 mcg of Levothyroxine, it's only $4 a month at Kroger. It took almost two years before I found the proper dosage, and despite exercise and watching my diet I couldn't lose. Since then, I've managed to slowly lose 33 lbs in about a year.

Jumping off of this to highlight the importance of getting your thyroid checked out (why did the doctor mention it was enlarged and you never followed up, if that was awhile ago?). Thyroid medication is, thankfully, very cheap. Synthroid, Levothyroxine, even Armour, are all very affordable; if you can manage to work out some sort of plan with an endo's office, I go with everyone that you NEED to get it checked out.

And no, it's not impossible to lose the weight. It's also not necessarily something you need to be "stricter" about; it's recommended to limit carbs below 180g, and to watch goitrogens, and to watch intake of calcium, vitamin D, and iron (among others) within a certain time of taking medication (though you don't need to worry about that right now x_x).

As someone who hasn't had a thyroid for over ten years, with a huge host of problems, yes... losing weight can become incredibly difficult when thyroid isn't treated. Conversely, untreated thyroid can cause other endocrine problems that can contribute to weight gain regardless of diet and exercise. So, ultimately, get your thyroid checked. Keep at it with calories in vs. calories out, I personally recommend starting weight lifting (there's science out there that has shown hormone levels become more regulated with weight lifting, including calcitonin/T3) for body fat % reduction + joint/muscle strength (especially important if you eventually go on thyroid medication, as high dose thyroid medication does effect calcium and bone density in the long run), and you should hopefully fend off any complications with weight and thyroid.

But for heaven's sake, get it checked out!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    ]Nope. I personally know someone who had a goiter and had half of her thyroid removed. She has to take thyroid medicine the rest of her life, but she has lost weight with correct calories and exercise.

I think you mean with correct meds, correct calories, and exercise.
  • dianatogo
    Options
    Put the cable on hold, put the cell phone on hold, don't go to restaurants...do whatever you have to do to go get your thyroid checked and get on the medication you need. This is not something you can ignore forever if you want to live a healthy life. Talk to your doc's office and see if they will let you pay over time. GET YOURSELF HEALTHY.
  • TracyC2015
    Options
    I caught the Dr Oz show a couple of weeks ago that spoke to this, it was very informative with the types of food and supplements that help to reverse effects of hypothyroidism.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I caught the Dr Oz show a couple of weeks ago ... reverse effects of hypothyroidism.

If your imbalance isn't much, then you can treat the SYMPTOMS of hypothyroidism (IE: lower stress, exercise more, drink coffee, etc.), but it is definitely not recommended to try to TREAT or try anything to CURE hypothyroidism on your own. VERY dangerous to not work with your doctor.
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i had exactly the same issue. i lost a lot my first week, then nothing anymore. i know i have thyroid problems, but didnt take any meds. i bought me "metabolic advantage thyroid formula" online. ever since i take these, i loose again ;)
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I URGE you to find a way to get your thyroid checked.

You know all those disclaimers that say "Don't change your diet/exercise routine without seeing your doctor"? Well, if you have thryroid problems, then that applies to you even more. Applies to you, like, 10x more! Dieting while suffering from an uncontrolled metabolic/nutrient processing disorder can lead to permanent health problems. And if it's actually your pituitary acting up... then that's even potentially worse news. Please find a way to get your bloodwork done.

this!

T3 effects the metabolic activity of every single cell in your body.
    If you are deficiient, youf body will be struggling in many ways, some that are very important to your long term health.

If you need it, there's help available with getting many meds, and I'd bet synthroid is one of them/
  • msjessc
    msjessc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid as well and we are still trying to get my meds regulated. With that being said I avoid milk, I avoid cruciferous veggies which affect absorption of synthroid. I have workout like a maniac and am training for my first 5k. With all of that I've only lost 20 pounds in the last 6 months. Slow and painful, slow and painful, but I am losing weight.
  • zilea
    zilea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    a few dr's visits and blood work isn't that expensive. certainly less than a week's salary. and synthroid is c heap too

i could not lose weight without synthroid

I wish this were true! Of course it depends on your income and location, but here in NYC without insurance, going to the doctor a "few" times and getting blood work done and paying for medication is definitely more than a week's pay for me. I too feel I need to get my thyroid checked, but I also have to keep myself fed and housed.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Have to be completely honest and ask if you think a thyroid problem is the only reason for weight gain, if it is, yes it is still possible. And if it isn't the only problem then you know what to do. :)
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I am hypothyroid as well and we are still trying to get my meds regulated. With that being said I avoid milk, I avoid cruciferous veggies which affect absorption of synthroid. I have workout like a maniac and am training for my first 5k. With all of that I've only lost 20 pounds in the last 6 months. Slow and painful, slow and painful, but I am losing weight.

Cruciferous veggies don't actually block the absorption of synthroid. They block the body's ability to use iodine to create thyroid hormones; so they don't impact the thyroid hormone provided by synthroid. As well, once cooked they have very little impact.

I would also worry more about soy than I would about dairy!
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    a few dr's visits and blood work isn't that expensive. certainly less than a week's salary. and synthroid is c heap too

i could not lose weight without synthroid

I wish this were true! Of course it depends on your income and location, but here in NYC without insurance, going to the doctor a "few" times and getting blood work done and paying for medication is definitely more than a week's pay for me. I too feel I need to get my thyroid checked, but I also have to keep myself fed and housed.

In the US you can actually order your own bloodwork through First Choice Labs, it's $35 for the free T3 test but I'm not sure what the other prices are. If that helps by eliminating a doctor's visit?