FitBit Zip.... thoughts, reviews, opinions?

Options
I'm looking at getting a FitBit Zip, I have done a little bit of research and I think one will suit my needs better than the FitBit One as i'm not too fussed on my sleeping pattern. They aren't big in NZ, in fact i had never heard of them until I saw them mentioned on MFP a few months ago. Just wanting to get a feel for one, are they any good, have you found them beneficial? Is is a fad that i will get over in a few weeks?
All feedback would be appreciated whether it be saying they are total crap or if they are amazing and why.

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I would be interested too. I have the regular fitbit but don't track my sleep anymore, way to restless for it to be accurate. The dog won't even sleep with me! The regular fitbit is so small, you forget about it.
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    I have been using my Fitbit Zip for 4 months and I like it and have recommended it to my friends, and several of them are now using them. I like it gets me motivated to keep moving and to complete my daily steps and calorie burn per day. We have competitions within our group to see who accumulates more steps, and overall it gets me off the couch and on the treadmill. Only thing I don`t like is that I can`t sync with my Android, although my husband can sync with his iPhone.

Oh, I forgot to mention I have lost about 24 pounds using Fitbit Zip and MFP.
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a fitibit ultra which apparently is being phased out! It is a fantastic motivator to keep moving. I reckon you would love it. I love mine. they didnt have the zip otion around when I was looking :)
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth:

I have the FitBit Ultra, which is not sold any longer. It tracks sleep, but you can also manually log sleep on the website. The ultra more closely resembles the Wireless Activity & Sleep Monitor. My biggest complaint is that this style is very hard to read in strong light. The biggest plus is convenience of wearing. It's small, clips on my underthings, and is very convenient to use. It charges via USB and updates once placed on or near a charger that is connected to a USB. I don't believe either of these two styles is water resistant. If you have ready access to a computer, for my money, I'd buy the wrist strap model. Ready access would let you monitor progress (because the wrist version doesn't have a display).

FYI - My husband has the Ultra as well, and uses the clip. He's lost it a couple of times, as things get entangled and force the clip from his pocket's edge. I haven't lost mine, as it's clipped on the inside of my clothes, but it has been washed twice and survived after being dried in a bag of rice.
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    soon a new wristband vewrsion is coming out, am saving my money for that!!
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have the zip. I like it for walking and running. It works fine on treadmills and ellipticals if worn on the hip. ZIP Does NOT (Repeat NOT) work well on stationary or real road bikes. Some what better on road bikes if on the hip. IT does capture height, like if you run stairs or exercise on hills. I wear mine clipped on the bra or in my pocket. I suggest picking a regular place where you will remember to remove it each night. It does not like to be washed. It is sweat resistant, but not water proof No swimming or dunks for the ZIP. Be sure to set your stride length for walking and running. Helps with accuracy.

Syncs via little dongle in the USB slot on your computer. BAttery life is good. Had mine about 5 months. Hope the info helps.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have had the Fitbit Ultra for nearly 13 months and it's been a HUGE motivator for me. Every day, I try to make my step goal, even if it means marching in place or pacing around the house while I brush my teeth. Before I started paying attention, it wasn't uncommon for me to have about 2000 steps a day. Now, I try not t end any day without at least 7000 steps and it's entirely because of the FitBit

I bought my husband the Zip for the Valentine's Day. He wasn't too thrilled because he didn't really get it, but he's totally loving it. He says "Hey, it's like a game!" and is also always trying to do better than the day before or finding extra ways to get in steps.

I find the step count very accurate, the battery life to be awesome, and it's great that you can be away form the computer for up to a week and it will hold all your data. Love it!
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    soon a new wristband vewrsion is coming out, am saving my money for that!!

Same here. I can't wait for that one!
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi, I bought my fitbit one from Harvey Norman web site (Aus)
    I found it very motivating but washed it week three and that was the end of it.
    I am waiting for the new fitbit flex to be released as it is a wrist band and water proof.
  • FITBY30
    FITBY30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i had an ultra, but i washed it SEVERAL times and it finally fell apart on me. then i got a zip for xmas. i like it alot better than the ultra-the rubbery cover stays on clothing much better. the program is the same and you get emails every week with your stats-i just got one last week congratulating me on my first 1,000 mile badge==pretty cool. my friend has gone through two nike fuel bands and said they were crap and really inaccurate so i wont be doin the wrist band thing, i like this one.
  • leelu137
    Options
    Ther is one called fitbit flex due out in about April I think. I'm holding back getting one till then. There is also nike fuelband on the market
  • tullerika
    Options
    I started using the Zip recently and really like it. I think that by just logging exercise or activities on the MFP database and using the provided calorie counts, I was really overestimating my calorie burn and thus eating back a lot more calories than i should have been. With the FitBit Zip, I just sync during the day at different times and have a more accurate idea of what a walk with a dog or a shopping trip mean for my calorie burn.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I bought the FitBit zip today, and it would not sync to anything! Then I took it back to the store, where the tried and had no luck. They opened a new FitBit to make sure mine wasn't just faulty. The new one still wouldn't sync! I tried with my Macbook Pro and Android. I spent a total of 3 hours trying to get this to sync, so I returned it and will never purchase from FitBit again. They shouldn't make their product so difficult to use.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a regular fitbit.. and love it. It definitely challenges me to keep my steps up.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i do not know anyone who has a fitbit of any kind. i have been looking at them, and i think i will purchase the fitbit flex when it comes out. it goes on the wrist. i was concerned about losing the other kinds or putting them into the washing machine, they are kind of small. i like that the wrist band is adjustable. it will track sleep habits, quality of sleep, steps, distance, active time, and calories burned. one of the small, clip-on models tracks stairs climbed instead of active time, so if you are a stair climber, that might be a better choice for you. the wristband does not have a face, so you can't see your information until you sync it with something that has a display (smart phone, computer, ipad) and that could be important for you as well.
  • n_gal87
    n_gal87 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit zip about 2 mos. now and I love it! I clip it to my bra everyday and I think its pretty accurate and its helped me not to over shoot my calorie estimates. One of the things I was most worried about was that people would be able to see it through my clothes - thats never been a problem, and the rubber material makes it so it stays put.

I think its a great motivator as well, I'm always trying to walk more than I did yesterday. Just today, I parked at the far end of the mall so I'd have to walk the whole thing twice to get to my car since I knew I had to go to a particular store. Thats been the biggest help for me. I do wish it had the sleep monitor though.
  • Marjrides
    Marjrides Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit ultra which I got last April. At that time I would walk maybe 2,000 steps on a good day. I doubted I could ever get to even 5,000 due to knee and hip problems, but I gradually increased the daily total with a LOT of marching in place and now I can do over 10,000 steps almost every day, even outside when weather permits. On a recent vacation I even logged 15,000 several days, so the fitbit has kept me motivated, moving and slowly getting stronger. With MFP to keep me honest about my food intake and fitbit to keep me moving I have lost over 50 lbs this last year!
  • Rosiegordon33
    Rosiegordon33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit ultra which I got last April. At that time I would walk maybe 2,000 steps on a good day. I doubted I could ever get to even 5,000 due to knee and hip problems, but I gradually increased the daily total with a LOT of marching in place and now I can do over 10,000 steps almost every day, even outside when weather permits. On a recent vacation I even logged 15,000 several days, so the fitbit has kept me motivated, moving and slowly getting stronger. With MFP to keep me honest about my food intake and fitbit to keep me moving I have lost over 50 lbs this last year!

That is fantastic, congratulations!!!!

When is the flex going to be available?
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have washed them, lost them, had them break on you... FitBit's customer service is EXCELLENT! They will almost ALWAYS replace your unit for free in these cases... and if you break a discontinued model - you get the new one for free!

True story: I bought the original FitBit and then got the Ultra for Christmas 2011. Gave the original to my mom and the casing broke from normal use so they sent her a brand new Ultra. She loved it so much that she bought the FitBit One for herself when it came out and gave the Ultra to her son/my brother. He lost it while jogging a couple days later and it got ran over by a car before he could find it and they sent him a brand new FitBit One for free because they restarted the warranty when it was replaced.

The company stands by their product BIG TIME and I couldn't recommend them more. I have myself and 10 friends/family wearing them now and we love competing for steps every day!