dinner time

Options
I looking for something to replace my sandwiches at work for dinner, i know bread is bad for you

So advice please on meal replacements or anything i can take to work, no access to heat anything

thanks

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't bad for you if you eat it in moderation. You won't stick to your diet long term if you get really strict and stop things you love totally, there is no need for it.

I made a really nice salad with diced roasted sweet potato, pitted olives, red onion, avocado,mixed lettuces/arugula, cucumber, feta and lime juice this week and I really enjoyed it.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't necessarily bad for you - but if you are going to have it, stick with whole wheat or whole grain - stay away from enriched/bleached flours. You might also look at whole grain wraps/tortillas or salads for variety. Assuming you have a way to keep food cool - how about hummus with vegetables?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Continue eating your sandwich because bread isn't bad for you. Eat whether you want and hit your calorie goal and you'll be fine
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Salads are a good option, needing no heating. If you want dressing, keep it separate until you are ready to eat. If not, add some nuts or boiled egg to get a bit of protein, or some avocado for healthy fats, or tinned fish (added when you are about to eat).

An omlette or frittata is another option. They taste just as good cold as hot, though they might need to be kept chilled, depending on your constitution.

Crisp breads (Ryvita or Vita Wheat) with boiled egg, cheese and/or avocado and salad veges can be good, too.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Do not cut out your bread if you enjoy a good sandwich. I love bread. But I just swapped to wholewheat bread/brown bread/seeded brown bread, because it keeps me fuller for longer and still have the joys of bread! As long as you stay within your goals, you will be fine with bread. Eat it in moderation - you'll be fine.

A lot of things are good cold. Like Significance suggested, salads are the best for not needing to be reheated - but also Ryvita are good. I also enjoy taking a good mix of pasta dishes, (using wholewheat or gluten free pasta!), brown rice dishes and just stick them in a lunch box as they are all good to eat cold!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I like making a salad with sweet potato at the base. I have fairly high energy requirements so add peanut butter and two eggs, along with normal salady things.
  • MarkRLFC
    Options
    all great ideas and advice thanks.