better to do 2 or 3 30 min intervals or all at once?

Options
I am finding it difficult to do a full hour or 1.5 hours of the stationary bike and other exercises. If I chop it up into 30 minutes at a time, will I get the same benefit? the motivation seems to be waning quickly when it feels like such a huge amount of time blocked off, versus hopping on for 20 or 30 minutes a few times.

any suggestions?

Replies

• Britton44
    Options
    I'd say it's better to do the 20/30 minute blocks rather than nothing at all. Once you start to see results, just increase it by 5 minutes a week and before long you'll be at an hour.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do weight lifting first.

Then do 30 min only after.

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WT&End.html

Wayne Westcott, Ph.D. conducted a study in which 72 over weight individuals participated in an eight week exercise program. The participants were placed in two groups. The first group performed 30 minutes of endurance exercise on a stationary cycle. The second group performed only 15 minutes of exercise on the stationary cycle plus an additional 15 minutes on weight resistant exercises. At the conclusion of the study, the "endurance only" group lost a total of 3.5 lbs.; 3 lbs. of which was fat and a half pound was muscle loss. On the other hand, the "endurance and weight resistive" group lost 8 lbs. with an actual fat loss of 10 lbs. and an increase of 2 lbs. of lean body weight.
  • akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Chop it up!! Interval training is the way to go for loosing body fat. I have had great results chopping my workouts as by doing so you can push harder/maintain the same pace for rest of the workout giving you a bigger calorie burn. If your goal is to loose weight and fat don't hesitate , ultimately its a cumulative calorie burn which will help you loose weight. Hope this helps :)
  • annbillingsley
    annbillingsley Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice so far :) I realllly appreciate it!!
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Its great to workout twice a day for 30-40 mins .Morning and evening.I do the same.It also increases your metabolism, therefore you lose weight faster.All the best!You are doing great!