Shirataki noodles?

Options
Has anyone tried Shirataki noodles? I am a pasta/noodle freak so I thought this would be a great way to cut down on my calories. Thanks!

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan. I found them to be rubbery, and difficult to get rid of the smell of the water stuff they are packaged in. Some people here love them. Personally, I would rather portion control real pasta.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    bleh didn't like them and I like tofu lol.

I'd just portion pasta and switch to whole wheat or quinoa pasta.

Or if you want low calorie you can try speghetti squash, it's delicious but it doesn't taste like pasta but for many it satisfies that craving.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Don't..... Just.... Uggghhh *throws up*
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Another vote for disgusting and don't bother here. If you enjoy pasta you're probably not going to enjoy these. Seriously got to wonder what the hell is in these because it doesn't really seem like food. More like eating cardboard
  • Annewx
    Annewx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love them.. Maybe because I am Chinese and my mum used to buy this stuff without knowing how healthy, low calorie and low carb it is. I have tried this in a noodle soup and stir fry and I can't get enough of it!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    If you are a pasta fan, you would hate them, they are not pasta. I find them ok and have them regularly. I prefer to dry fry them first. when you get them, You have to rinse them for about 2 min to get rid of the smell. then right into a preheated dry pan, no oil nothing. cook on med/high until they appear dry. Then you can add whatever flavor or sauce you want to them. Hope you enjoy them.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Do NOT expect it to taste anything like pasta or noodles, because it doesn't :wink:

On its own, it really is gross, however I grew to like it after realizing how much I can bulk out a meal & how to flavor it correctly!

But, personally, I'd much rather just have real pasta and go easy on calories elsewhere to fit it in.

A large portion of pasta (100g) is only around 350 calories after all...that paired with some veg and a home made tomato sauce is a great meal option if you had, say, a large chicken salad for lunch! Just ensure you have enough protein in your other meals and you can get away with HUGE bowls of pasta!
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Try Buckwheat noodles.
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I just bought some but havent tried them yet, thanks for the tip on cooking them.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    found them ok but had a lot of spices/chilllies, for uk peeps i have just tries the slim rice and that was no bad at all, they did not have the pasta so will get it next time i am near a holland and barrett.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I love them.. Maybe because I am Chinese and my mum used to buy this stuff without knowing how healthy, low calorie and low carb it is. I have tried this in a noodle soup and stir fry and I can't get enough of it!

please could you maybe share some recipes i love chinese food and would love to try low cal/fat versions
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I like them.
    Got rid of the smell very quickly for the ones I get.

Replace normal noodles with these, or add to stir fries I otherwise wouldn't have noodles with because of the calories from carbs.

I also use them to replace pasta in italian dishes, but it's a bit more 'different', however I find it ok.

Means I can have a massive plate full of food for only 450 calories or whatever.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I gave them my best, I really did, but I never got to like them. The texture is horrible.
    I rather cut cabbage and microwave it until it's soft and use that for pasta substitute instead. Much better - and cheaper!
    ETA: Cauliflower is another vegetable I use - substitute for rice. Perfect! Just a tip! :happy:
  • cc_11
    cc_11 Posts: 6
    Options
    I tried them last night for the first time. After researching how to cook them, most people say that you should cook them Asian style. If anyone has had Vietnamese pho or beef noodles, I personally think that the Shirataki noodles go well with them. Instead of using rice noodles, I replaced it with my Shirataki noodles. Although it does not have the same texture as a regular rice noodle, I found the compromise worth it because of the obvious benefits. I am Chinese/Khmer so I think that helps me tolerate these noodles a little more. I am def going to try some more recipes for these noodles. Does anyone have any good Shirataki noodle recipes they'd like to share?
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The bad news:
    1. They have a really fishy (not so great) smell.
    2. They have a not so great (slimy, gummy) texture.
    3. They don't taste so great.

The good news:
    1. OMG OMG -- you're eating super-low-cal, and low-carb PASTA!!!! OMG OMG!!!
    2. The ONLY recipe that tastes really good with these is spicy peanut sauce noodles.

On the whole, I would recommend SKIPPING them. Instead, opt for a SMALLER portion of low glycemic index whole wheat pasta, and/or SHREDDED CABBAGE as a substitute for starch in stir fries, or whatever else you're eating with them. :-)
    cheers!
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe that is actually really really delicious:

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/t-hot-or-cold-sesame-noodles.aspx#back
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I could never get past the texture. :sick:
  • cc_11
    cc_11 Posts: 6
    Options
    This is the recipe that is actually really really delicious:

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/t-hot-or-cold-sesame-noodles.aspx#back

Thanks for sharing! I have been looking for a recipe like this :)
  • lillovelylady
    Options
    They're great! Put some low cal marinara on them... so good.
  • JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just don't like them, really wish I did :(