Ifit treadmill question

Options
I just got a treadmill with ifit.  I was under the impression that you are watching a video of where you are running while you use it.  I've downloaded a few courses but instead of a video, it looks like a bunch of clips that change every 15 seconds or so (using the street view). Is this really how it works or did I just download the wrong type of course?  Thanks!

Replies

• micheles234
    micheles234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    you've gotten further than me! just installed ifit today on my new treadmill. did a workout that I mapped, but it wasn't real time on my laptop, it showed a little dot with a line on my treadmill screen. not the view I was hoping for. what are you watching your run on? a computer? I'm so confused with all of this! I viewed a workout I downloaded for tomorrow and it incines to 12.2. my treadmill only goes to 10, so I hope that doesn't cause any problems!
  • imalikat2
    imalikat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is all good info for me. I'm thinking about getting an iFit for my treadmill and have heard mixed reviewes on it, so I'm anxious to get "real time" feedback, from real people that I can communicate with. Sounds like your treadmills are new; mine is a couple of years old and does not have the color display, so I wonder what it will be like for me. Please let me know how it goes. :wink:
  • DeirdreMum8
    Options
    I hook my i pad onto the treadmill and watch netflix shows:) Usually go about 5 miles a night, find the cop type shows have music that helps me run at times & then walk. No actual workout program but watching something makes all the difference for me!! :)
  • micheles234
    Options
    Ima, I don't have a color display, though the treadmill is new. I bought it for the "street views" mainly, and per the ifit support site, apparently they were making huge changes to ifit in december and have some glitches to work out still. I wonder if when it's working like it should, if I'd be able to see street views on my computer in "real time" with my workout. Not sure if it was worth the money yet, though I am new and have a lot to learn!
  • imalikat2
    Options
    Ima, I don't have a color display, though the treadmill is new. I bought it for the "street views" mainly, and per the ifit support site, apparently they were making huge changes to ifit in december and have some glitches to work out still. I wonder if when it's working like it should, if I'd be able to see street views on my computer in "real time" with my workout. Not sure if it was worth the money yet, though I am new and have a lot to learn!

Thanks for the info. I'm not 100% sure whether mine has street views or just terrains and for some reason, I'm under the impressiomn that you map out your route, but it's not a real time thing. Maybe I'm wrong. Yes, I read on the ift website there have been a lot of changes going on recently. Let me know how it goes; it'll help me decide whether to make the investment!
  • imalikat2
    Options
    I hook my i pad onto the treadmill and watch netflix shows:) Usually go about 5 miles a night, find the cop type shows have music that helps me run at times & then walk. No actual workout program but watching something makes all the difference for me!! :)

you're right; having a distraction always makes it easier! My husband actually mounted a TV on the wall above the treadmill for me.... talk about spoiled... now, if he'd just put a HD cable box with it, I'd be set!!!! LOL!
  • micheles234
    Options
    lol Ima, I plan on mounting a tv in front of mine too! It's permanent home will be upstairs, away from all of the "action" and I'm afraid if I have to stair at a white wall I may not be too eager to keep going back!

Did a Jillian Michaels workout on it tonight, my treadmill "knows" the workouts I choose from the ifit website, and they are in there waiting for me, though I can only do them in order of the website, if that makes sense. I had my normal control panel screen to look at with the "track" on my treadmill, and I did not once hear Jillian talk to me, or any sound for that matter. I chose a level 2 program, and it was kind of a joke tonight, not difficult, but I'll continue with it and see what happens. It's a 6 week program.
    Hoping to see some improvements soon . . .
  • hikem
    hikem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When it is working, you have streetviews updated as you run ( not a video). It sounds like you have what it offers. There is a problem with the connectivity to the ifit wi fi module and on their web site they expst it to be fixed by the 12th january.
    I still find the updated street views as very useful when jogging on the treadmill.
  • jaffabrown
    jaffabrown Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is a lot more of it than suggested here. From December 2012 through to Feb 2013, the iFIT system has been having MAJOR issues, making it fairly unusable (much to the frustration of the user base). Before anybody purchases an iFIT system, I suggest that they google "iFIT problems" and see sites such as:

http://www.ifit-fail.com

Only then will they get to see the state of the system. Otherwise, even thought they have the correct equipment and network, it will still be gathering dust and unusable.

Its interesting to add that becuase of all the really negative (and sometimes hostile user comments from the iFIT user base) yesterday (18th Feb 2013), iFIT deleted their iFIT facebook page and all the negative comments. Now, customers can only communicate with iFIT through the useless support phone line or the never-answered support email system.
  • Shellbug75
    Shellbug75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.

I just got my treadmill yesterday and it also has a slot for the iFit. I was wondering if it was worth it. But it sounds like there are a lot of kinks to work out.
  • Reelfun
    Reelfun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was one of the early owners and users of the iFit and Xi9 treadmill / incline trainer (Nov 2011). I have to tell everyone that it worked perfectly! I was able to download pre-programmed workouts with Jillian Michaels, create and download my own mapped workouts that actually looked like you were running down the streets and it was all easy to use. THEN IT ALL CHANGED. When I called customer service (back when they answered) they said the site was getting overwhelmed with traffic and they were going to switch to another website that would be able to keep up with the growth. Since then it has been nothing but unresponsive customer service and a treadmill that has a fancy screen. The equipment from a mechanical side has had two service calls with parts replacement (suspension springs & incline motor) in the 142 miles I have used it. The control panel is starting to become intermittently unresponsive, I'm glad I purchased the extended warranty. The above are the facts without any embellishment.

In my opinion; I don't understand how Nordictrac could put their name on this?
  • sharronak
    sharronak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have questions about ifit. First, if u pay for the yearly membership do you still have to pay for downloaded workouts. I know Jillian m u have to buy. If the machine has ifit built in does that mean it has a module. And are they WiFi.? Does this program help motivate anyone. How do u track your workouts. Are all the bugs worked out?
  • lynnewill2
    Options
    We just purchased an elliptical with ifit enabled. Yes if you have wifi, it is wifi compatible. Some of the programs are free and some you will pay for, if you are so inclined. Jillian has a 6 week beginning workout that is free. This program sets the incline, and resistance level for you and recommends a pace/cadence while Jillians voice tells you how to focus and keeps you motivated. The google maps function does not work! We are not able to create a map or run a pre-programmed map within street view. It does change the incline as you work in map mode though. There are 2 video runs(in Hawaii) which will probably be my go to viewing this winter. I contacted their phone support once and the poor kid who answered the phone was not helpful. We are loving the elliptical, but ifit has issues to fix. Could explain why we got a good sale price on it.
  • supersi
    Options
    I bought a Pro Form Performance 1250 Treadmill, the iFit Live wifi module and an iFit account.

I have had constant problems with it. In fact I would say 7/10 workouts have been ruined because I've run out of time trying to get the iFit system to work.

Unfortunately, I'm poor so I can't just ditch iFit/Treadmill and choose another brand/system - I'm stuck with iFit.

But, if I was to fantasize about owning the best, most reliable system, what brand would it be??
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    For goodness sake, what is everyone's obsession with treadmills? How about a bit of concrete called a street, available outside pretty much everybody's doorstep.
  • kjhenry13495
    kjhenry13495 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eldamiano...the 18+ inches of snow on the concrete outside my doorstep and a sleeping baby make running outdoors quite a challenge. I imagine I am not the only one in this position. The luxury of having a treadmill provides us with the ability to exercise, no matter the weather conditions or time of day. Also, kudos to my fellow treadmill users for doing what it takes to get their exercising in as well! :smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I was one of the early owners and users of the iFit and Xi9 treadmill / incline trainer (Nov 2011). I have to tell everyone that it worked perfectly! I was able to download pre-programmed workouts with Jillian Michaels, create and download my own mapped workouts that actually looked like you were running down the streets and it was all easy to use. THEN IT ALL CHANGED. When I called customer service (back when they answered) they said the site was getting overwhelmed with traffic and they were going to switch to another website that would be able to keep up with the growth. Since then it has been nothing but unresponsive customer service and a treadmill that has a fancy screen. The equipment from a mechanical side has had two service calls with parts replacement (suspension springs & incline motor) in the 142 miles I have used it. The control panel is starting to become intermittently unresponsive, I'm glad I purchased the extended warranty. The above are the facts without any embellishment.

In my opinion; I don't understand how Nordictrac could put their name on this?

The original "Nordic Track", i.e. the company that made the cross-country ski machines, went out of business years ago--the elliptical trainers basically vaporized their market.

The brand name is now own by ICON corporation, a kind of fitness holding company that has accumulated a slew of lower-tier fitness brands. They also own Reebok, ProForm, FreeMotion, Weider, Healthrider---well, you get the picture.
  • Shawn518
    Shawn518 Posts: 1
    Options
    Does anybody know how much a treadmill with iFit capabilities is? I am looking for one for my mom.
    Thanks for the helpl