Exercise and weight gain?

Options
Hi, I've just joined MFP hoping this will kick start what has so far been a disappointing result in my weight loss journey. I've been following the Weight Watchers program since December and was initially losing weight but not focusing on exercise. By week 4, I had managed to lose about 3kg only to put on 4kg by early January! Thinking exercise or lack there of was the probem, I joined a gym and have been exercising regularly (3-4 times a week @ 60 min sessions) since end January and still following the WW program. My result? More weight gain. I now weigh more than when I started WW in December! I have stumped my gp, dietitian and trainer. No one knows what is going on. Blood tests have come up normal, I've lost 2% body fat and gained 2% muscle since exercising but everything else is going in the wrong direction. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm really enjoying the exercise and I don't want to give it up. Any advice on how to kick this obstacle? Thanks

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just joined MFP hoping this will kick start what has so far been a disappointing result in my weight loss journey. I've been following the Weight Watchers program since December and was initially losing weight but not focusing on exercise. By week 4, I had managed to lose about 3kg only to put on 4kg by early January! Thinking exercise or lack there of was the probem, I joined a gym and have been exercising regularly (3-4 times a week @ 60 min sessions) since end January and still following the WW program. My result? More weight gain. I now weigh more than when I started WW in December! I have stumped my gp, dietitian and trainer. No one knows what is going on. Blood tests have come up normal, I've lost 2% body fat and gained 2% muscle since exercising but everything else is going in the wrong direction. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm really enjoying the exercise and I don't want to give it up. Any advice on how to kick this obstacle? Thanks

"I've lost 2% body fat and gained 2% muscle since exercising but everything else is going in the wrong direction"

Errr...how is this going in the wrong direction? Would you rather have the same bf% with a lower number on the scale?

Is this is trick question? :-/
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    can you open your food diary for us to look at?
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements in inches? Are they changing?
  • fleerik
    fleerik Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Trust the process...
    I've had to come to grips that whether I am loosing a pound a month or a pound a week both is progress. Loosing 2% body fat and gaining 2% percent muss is progress! We've got to restart our thinking that getting fit is not a quick fix, but a life long lifestyle change. I sometimes walk through the valley of the shadow of weight loss but my friends on MFP have been a great motivator. Log everything and trust the process. If a few more months go by and you have been faithful to your program you may need to reexamine your method and/or see a a doctor.
    FYI - I've been stuck around the same weight for 2 weeks, but I know it WILL keep going down. You'll do great!