Not drinking enough water causing weight gain?

Options
Question is what the topic says..is it possible? Ive been eating at BMR and just gained few pounds over the course of the last 2 weeks. I am wondering..if its due to lack of enough water intake.

thoughts?

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    No.
  • animemoon5
    animemoon5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No.

Actually..... it is technically possible..... If you have a diet very high in sodium, that causes water retention, which can add a pound or two..... And as silly as it sounds, the best way to lose water weight, is to actually increase your water intake..... (and decrease the sodium) So if you suddenly were cut back on your water intake, the same time as increasing your sodium intake, you could very well gain a pound or two...

So yes, technically I would say it could cause weight gain or water retention, but sodium I think plays a pretty big role as well..

On a side note: I'd like to mention, I hate drinking water, and I have managed to lose a little bit of weight personally, without really drinking *any* water.... I know, it's horrible but I live on diet sodas lol.... I don't think we need as much water as the 8 cups per day claims.. that doesn't take into account the water we get from foods or other fluids.....
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'll add by saying if you are not losing weight, but eating well, look at your water intake, and possibly up it.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    On a side note: I'd like to mention, I hate drinking water, and I have managed to lose a little bit of weight personally, without really drinking *any* water.... I know, it's horrible but I live on diet sodas lol.... I don't think we need as much water as the 8 cups per day claims.. that doesn't take into account the water we get from foods or other fluids.....

The eight cups a day claim actually means 'any liquid that hydrates you' - and that includes tea and coffee, soda, juice etc. etc.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    It could cause 'weight gain' but that would be water retention but not muscle or fat gain.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No it will not lead to weight gain. Water retention is temporary, not something that will last for several weeks, as the body is extremely efficient at regulating itself. If you were dehydrated enough to actually put on a substantial amount of water weight, you'd be dead by the time a couple weeks had passed.
  • Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Question is what the topic says..is it possible? Ive been eating at BMR and just gained few pounds over the course of the last 2 weeks. I am wondering..if its due to lack of enough water intake.

thoughts?

I would be more worried about eating at your BMR than how much water your drinking first! :noway: