Giving blood today

Options
NikkiDerrig386
NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
Giving blood after work since its my off day. What "hearty" meal can I have for 199 cls? lol

Replies

• mooselady2004
    mooselady2004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would eat more than 199 calories. I think it takes your body about 600 calories to regenerate the blood you give, so you want to make sure to keep your energy up, especially if you are excercising. Drink a few extra glasses of water also.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I would eat more than 199 calories. I think it takes your body about 600 calories to regenerate the blood you give, so you want to make sure to keep your energy up, especially if you are excercising. Drink a few extra glasses of water also.

What she said. :happy:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    but i am not working out?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Your body burns 600 calories PUSHING all that blood out. You need a LOT more energy & fuel than just 200 calories. Go to a steak house and get a nice hearty steak, a baked potato, the works. A real HEARTY meal. :)
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    but i am not working out?

Good. But with that blood donation, your body has to expend quite a bit of energy to regenerate the blood cells that you have donated. So, essentially, you should eat as though you just burned about 400-600 calories in a workout today.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah completely agree here - the process of replacing the pint of red blood cells requires at least 500 kcal (and a fair amount of iron) so have something more filling. Stay away from heavy exercise for 12-24 hours too
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i woulnt worry about your calories today, eat a good meal before you give blood, your body really needs it

you may feel weak if you dont eat properly

and great job on giving blood! :heart:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Thanx guys :) hmm 500 cls I should give blood when I feel lazy lmao jk
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Thanx guys :) hmm 500 cls I should give blood when I feel lazy lmao jk

I know, right?! :laugh: