no loss at all after 7 weeks

Options
Hey, I need some hints from someone else who has gone through this.

I started my 'diet' at the start of this year. I am 23. I weighed 76 kg with 27% body fat. Set mfp to lose a pound a week with the goal of losing about 11 kg or 24 pounds and at least 7% body fat.

Have been on or under macros and calories this entire time. So I should be expecting to weight close to 73 kg. I have weighed in every single day at somewhere between 75.8 kg and 76.4 kg. My bf % came on at 26.8% last week ( no real change). I do weighted compound squats every other day, walk for at least 30 minutes each day and bikram yoga every Wednesday.

I've been all over the forum trying to find an answer to my absolute lack of fat loss and so far it seems ya'll just say eat more or that the person must have a crappy thyroid. I need an actual answer - not hearsay. Has anyone else not had any result at all right from the beginning? How long did it last? What did you do to finally loose fat?

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    First of all, I commend you for giving it seven weeks. I don't know how much you are eating, but do educate yourself.

Read this, follow the directions, give it another month or so, and see how it goes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • lizabett81
    Options
    Ta for responding.

Well I eat ~1500 cal (nett) per day. That's my tdee less about 20%. I aim for carb/fat/protien of 45/25/30 and usually hit that every week. If i'm off its something like 55/25/20 so I'm pretty sure the ratio is still good.

I also drink 2-3 litres of water and at least that again in juice and tea. Sodium might be messing me up a smidge but I doubt I could be retaining a further 3 kg of water on top of whatever I managed to retain over Xmas.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting?

Also, could you open your log so we can see it? We might be able to give you better advice that way.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sine chucklehead posted this earlier today and it may help you as well

Real talk, how about this? Pick a number, ANY number, and start eating that amount. Be consistent with it. Once per week (sorry Jof) check yourself on your scale and write the number down. Do this for 3 weeks.

After the 3rd week, check the weigh in numbers against each other. Which way are they going? Up, then lower your cals by 500. Down, then stay the course. Unmoved, then lower your cals by 200-300.

Rinse. Repeat. Profit.

No fancy calculations needed. No ACLT (All Capital Letter Terms) needed. No special testing. No nothing. Just eating to your target and checking your scale. After a few weeks you'll have the number and things will go smoothly from there for the next several months/years.

Just for giggles, lets start with one of the numbers you already have. I'd go with the 1800ish number, because this works best if you start high and work down.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You might have a crappy thyroid. That's not hearsay... it's the truth. This is very common for women. The term "consult with your physician before starting any weight loss program" goes in one eye and out the other. Now, if you are healthy.

1. I would be interested in seeing the dietary intake
    2. I would say that something is not accurate. Your intake, measuring,expenditure, or scale. And scales that measure bf% are useless as far as bodyfat percentage goes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would do a full body strenght training routine 3 x a week instead of just squats, and maybe add in some HIIT once or twice a week as well for fat loss.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Lizabett, I'm in exactly the same position as you - eating around 1500 cals per day net, exercising in gym 5/6 days per week but not lost a pound, or an inch and my clothes feel just as tight.

I'm having blood tests tomorrow but don't expect them to reveal anything unusual (again) except possibly low iron.

If you find the answer, please post on here! I'm experimenting with increasing my calories to around 1700 per day but finding it difficult as I've given up the rubbish - chocolate, cakes, crisps etc that used to fill my diet but don't fancy anything else so end up eating nothing. Perhaps that's my problem!

Also, I exercise first thing in the morning but then sit at a desk for 8 hours and do little when I get home.

Maybe I've found the answer to my own problem by typing this out!
    B x
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    "I also drink 2-3 litres of water and at least that again in juice and tea."

Are you eating 1500 net calories and drinking this amount in juice in addition? Juice can be high in sugar and calories. Try omitting the juice and sticking with the water. Try to get your nutrients from raw fruit instead. Also, changing up your diet every couple of weeks could be beneficial.
  • Bizzeemamanj
    Options
    My stats are a bit different in that I'm older (43) and I have more to lose (25-30 lbs), but I'd suggest a change to your gym routine. I do 5 days a week that break down like this: 2 days strength training (full body routine, heavier weights), 2 days of intense cardio (45 minutes) and 1 day of yoga (I prefer Hatha or Anasura). If I'm having a week where I feel like I don't need 2 rest days, I add one extra day of yoga.

The first few weeks, I didn't see much in the way of a change on the scale, but my clothes started to feel looser and I could see things were getting tighter. My fitness level also increased significantly. However, in the last 4 weeks, the weight has started to come off pretty consistently. I net 1400 calories a day and I always eat each and every single calorie I get. So, on a high cardio day, I'm eating as much as 1900 calories. On a rest day, I eat the 1400.
  • mommamills
    Options
    "I also drink 2-3 litres of water and at least that again in juice and tea."

Are you eating 1500 net calories and drinking this amount in juice in addition? Juice can be high in sugar and calories. Try omitting the juice and sticking with the water. Try to get your nutrients from raw fruit instead. Also, changing up your diet every couple of weeks could be beneficial.

^^this^^ tons of sugar in juice and tea (depending on what kind of course). Could actually be drinking more calories than you are eating.

And
    i would do a full body strenght training routine 3 x a week instead of just squats, and maybe add in some HIIT once or twice a week as well for fat loss.

^^def this!!!!^^ up your workouts! Challenge yourself! Keep going! Good luck!! :drinker:
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Log your Juice for one day. Prepare to be surprised. How are you drinking your tea? with a sweetener or other additions?
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Log your Juice for one day. Prepare to be surprised. How are you drinking your tea? with a sweetener or other additions?

This! When I'm sick, I always drink Naked Juice - a silly habit. It's anywhere from 230-290 calories a bottle!
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sine chucklehead posted this earlier today and it may help you as well

Real talk, how about this? Pick a number, ANY number, and start eating that amount. Be consistent with it. Once per week (sorry Jof) check yourself on your scale and write the number down. Do this for 3 weeks.

After the 3rd week, check the weigh in numbers against each other. Which way are they going? Up, then lower your cals by 500. Down, then stay the course. Unmoved, then lower your cals by 200-300.

Rinse. Repeat. Profit.

No fancy calculations needed. No ACLT (All Capital Letter Terms) needed. No special testing. No nothing. Just eating to your target and checking your scale. After a few weeks you'll have the number and things will go smoothly from there for the next several months/years.

Just for giggles, lets start with one of the numbers you already have. I'd go with the 1800ish number, because this works best if you start high and work down.

I think this is a very sound advice. it has to be fool proof, isn't it? After messing up and down with my numbers, my BMR, mi TDEE, the 20% equation and the fact that I am still breastfeeding, I just decided to take this route, I have been consistently at 75 kg for a whole lot that 7 weeks (actually months) my workouts are strength training and cardio, they always change and from a month with no cardio at all, I go to a month with 4 days cardio/ 6 days strength training and another month 6 days strength training/4 plyometrics & HIIT. So I have tried all sorts, I think it is really hard being consistent and actually log every single bit of food that you put in your mouth, but until you get your numbers right there is no other way, I am afraid.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    Lizabett, I'm in exactly the same position as you - eating around 1500 cals per day net, exercising in gym 5/6 days per week but not lost a pound, or an inch and my clothes feel just as tight.

I'm having blood tests tomorrow but don't expect them to reveal anything unusual (again) except possibly low iron.

If you find the answer, please post on here! I'm experimenting with increasing my calories to around 1700 per day but finding it difficult as I've given up the rubbish - chocolate, cakes, crisps etc that used to fill my diet but don't fancy anything else so end up eating nothing. Perhaps that's my problem!

Also, I exercise first thing in the morning but then sit at a desk for 8 hours and do little when I get home.

Maybe I've found the answer to my own problem by typing this out!
    B x
    It makes no difference when you exercise...and barely matters if you exercise at all. Exercise doesn't have much to do with fat loss.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    And yea, there's really no reason to buy fruit juice on a regular basis. It's almost a waste of calories. The only time I buy it is on cheat meals or to mix with alcohol.
  • lizabett81
    Options
    Wow, everyone seems to have decided I have no idea how to count my juice and tea. Ta guys.
    I make a pot of loose leaf green tea ( roughly 500 ml) add the same again of cold water and the juice of one or two oranges. This usually gets me a full 1.5 litre bottle of juice/tea and calories for the whole thing is less than 100. It's summer here and I hate putting sugar in my tea so its actually better than any drink you might think I'm having. Also it is counted, I'm not snacking on anything that is not in my diary.

Also I don't just squat. It's compound squats. I work every single muscle in my body in at least two different ways. I would do more but I 1) have no idea what different types to do that are somehow working muscles I'm not already working 2) like doing squats and the few times I've tried to do other things like say bench press I find I either dislike the experience or I've somehow managed to do them wrong and hurt myself.

I've just woken up so I appologise if the tone of this post isn't awesome. I might just reduce my calories to 1200 as obviously 1500 is my maintenance
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    Wow, everyone seems to have decided I have no idea how to count my juice and tea. Ta guys.
    I make a pot of loose leaf green tea ( roughly 500 ml) add the same again of cold water and the juice of one or two oranges. This usually gets me a full 1.5 litre bottle of juice/tea and calories for the whole thing is less than 100. It's summer here and I hate putting sugar in my tea so its actually better than any drink you might think I'm having. Also it is counted, I'm not snacking on anything that is not in my diary.

Also I don't just squat. It's compound squats. I work every single muscle in my body in at least two different ways. I would do more but I 1) have no idea what different types to do that are somehow working muscles I'm not already working 2) like doing squats and the few times I've tried to do other things like say bench press I find I either dislike the experience or I've somehow managed to do them wrong and hurt myself.

I've just woken up so I appologise if the tone of this post isn't awesome. I might just reduce my calories to 1200 as obviously 1500 is my maintenance
    you asked.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You're barely 8 weeks in... and I can almost guarantee you that your maintenance is not 1500...
    It's a lifestyle change... for lifetime results, so give it time and keep your chin up girl! :flowerforyou:
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

you asked.

I think her point was that people just assumed she was not counting it. :smile: