Keeping things to myself

Options
I read in so many places that its recommended to tell family & friends that you are trying to watch your food, and to have an exercise buddy - but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Maybe it's because I don't want them to be second guessing everything I put in my mouth - heck, if I have exercised my butt off, I've got the extra calories for the odd glass of wine. If I go out for a meal, I don't want someone watching me and what I choose to eat. I don't want my better approach to food and eating this to become a focal point for others.

For me, I kinda see this as something I need to do myself. I got me to this point, and its me that has to be the one to make a difference. It is a change to a healthier lifestyle, and I need to learn to plan as well as make the best choices from what's available - weight loss is a happy by-product for a healthier me..

I want to be selfish and keep this all to me - except for occasional posting in these forums :) !!!

To each their own, and everyone needs to do what is right for their circumstance - but is there anybody else that shares these thoughts?

Replies

• healthyheartRN
    Options
    here, here. I feel the same
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree! I don't really mention my weight/excercise loss plans but I do tell people about this site and how great it is!
  • MissMeaganLyn
    MissMeaganLyn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello. I must say that every time I share with people that I'm trying to eat healthier and workout more I tend to eat worse and workout less. When I keep it to myself I tend to stay on track a lot easier. I have no idea why but I blow that stereotype out of the water. So maybe it will be in your best interest to keep it to yourself.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I tell you one thing when you do you will not only feel much better, but I think you should. At first I too was afraid but this is my life and I am taking charge. I refuse to let anyone get in the way of my goals. It will be tough, and take sometime but you can do it. Don't worry about what they say
  • tealskater
    tealskater Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm the same - only telling my husband about it. If I tell other family members, they will ask me every day how it is going - which is fine if it is going great, but can also be a bit tiresome. It's bad enough having to watch what I eat - I don't want to talk about it all the time!!
  • leahstaeb
    leahstaeb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I only talked to my husband about it. Now that I've lost 20 pounds, people notice and ask what I am doing, so it's hard not to talk about it. The people usually asking me about it are overweight themselves, so I don't mind sharing what I'm doing because they are curious; they aren't trying to derail my progress.
  • fran65now
    Options
    Yes I do. I have lost 41 two pounds over the last 2 years. that may not sound great to some people...so I never talk about it. My dr was very pround of me and I don't have to take meds for high cholestrol any more. I had started out as 221. I am down to 180. I dont hand out much info either, for the same reasons you mention. I don't make it a big deal to even my husband. Because even tho I am 65 years old, have 5 kids, 11 grandchildren , I will still hear "oooh, is that off your diet" ? I am old enough to think for myself !! LOL ! Everyone has noticed my taking off the pounds, but if someone asks me about it , I say "just making healthy choices." and I drop it. It's between me and my food. I do better that way. :smile:
  • thejubster1
    thejubster1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love that Fran! My other thoughts are 'its not a diet, it's a living'...
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    The only people who knew I was trying to lose weight were my immediate family aka those living in our house...husband and kids. Outside of that doesn't need to know. Once people noticed that I lost a lot of weight they came up to me asking what I did because they needed to lose weight or knew someone else who was trying and not doing so well with it. I don't feel the need to announce it to anyone. I talk about it here because thats what this is for. If I'm out to eat with others or at someones house I just say no thanks to the fatty stuff I don't want to eat and stick with the healthier options. THere is no need to say no thanks I"m on a diet. I don't feel its anyone elses business why I don't want to eat the fatty greasy stuff or why I don't want such a big piece of cake.
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I talk to people on this site about it because they want to make the same change I do. Not a lot of my friends have the same goal.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I tend not to talk about it much IRL except for with people who know me really well and understand my regime, eg my partner. Most people around me are still of the view of eat less, weigh less and they follow Weight Watchers or similar regimes for a couple of months then give up, and they don't 'get' weight lifting etc. It's just easier not to get into complex discussions along these lines so I just do what I do and let them do what they do.
  • fran65now
    Options
    Hello. I must say that every time I share with people that I'm trying to eat healthier and workout more I tend to eat worse and workout less. When I keep it to myself I tend to stay on track a lot easier. I have no idea why but I blow that stereotype out of the water. So maybe it will be in your best interest to keep it to yourself.

Thats me too...if I talk about it too much...all of a sudden I get the feeling I am doing so good...why not eat something else ! LOL. I understand what you are saying also !!
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone I'm losing, if they haven't already seen it themselves. However, I keep my diary closed. I found that when it is open, I feel the need to explain everything I eat, or even fudge some of the portion sizes. Closed, I'm completely honest with myself. This way the only person I hurt if I eat too much is ME, and I am accountable. This works for me. I totally get how being wide open works for others though. You should do whatever works for YOU. :)
  • rachlat
    Options
    Hi, I know exactly what you're saying. My partner knows about my diet but he's the only one and he is supportive in every way and never says a word. I gained 50lb when I gave up smoking and have managed to lose 22lb since last June so I still have 28 to go. I have just started a blog more to talk to myself than anything else because this is my thing and not a Public Debate.
    It's good to know there are lots of us who see our quests/diets as personal because well it is.
    I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. As for your weight loss, I think you're doing amazingly well and have given me a bit more inspiriation on a day when I feel a bit flat. Thanks for that. I owe you one x
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You must do whatever works for you.

Some people feel the need to be "aacountable" to those around them; others resent the intrusion.

I don't tell many people IRL because I am low carbing and I always end up getting into arguments ie. meat will kill me, fat will kill me, the brain runs on (table) sugar yadda yadda yadda
  • remorc
    remorc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find it helps me to tell my family so when we get together they help me watch out. But I agree on everyone else. (Personal choice I guess)
  • hdutoit17
    Options

I am the same.
    I feel like I shouldnt even have told my husband, cause when I fall off the wagon it makes me feel worse and now 2 people are dissapointed in me. AND that then makes me want to eat more...
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I shared. Normally I wouldn't have, but because two of us are doing a mud run (and word gets out when you are building a team), I actually got laughed at, so I told them to laugh all they wanted, but they wouldn't be in April, LOL...The plus side is even though we didn't get more team members from the office, my friend/co-worker got back on this site and is changing her lifestyle, as well, so we have a built-in buddy 40 hours per week. :smile:

Letting people know also helped to keep the people bringing all the fattening treats OUT of my office. Between this site and my work and home families, there is a LOT of accountability. I need that sometimes.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I only told anyone (other than my husband) after my first 12 weeks and 30 lbs lost. I try to keep it low key. It's none of their business what I put in my mouth especially if they haven't lost any weight themselves.
    You must do whatever works for you.

Some people feel the need to be "aacountable" to those around them; others resent the intrusion.

Precisely.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone I'm losing, if they haven't already seen it themselves. However, I keep my diary closed. I found that when it is open, I feel the need to explain everything I eat, or even fudge some of the portion sizes. Closed, I'm completely honest with myself. This way the only person I hurt if I eat too much is ME, and I am accountable. This works for me. I totally get how being wide open works for others though. You should do whatever works for YOU. :)
    ^^This. I share my diary in public because I don't really mind, but I try my best to be honest about it. I also don't like calling it a "diet." I prefer to call it my lifestyle plan and after losing 50 pounds in over a year, I'm sticking to it. However, what I do works for me, but it may not work for you. Whatever plan has worked for you...stick with it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :flowerforyou: