Cardio and resistance = confusion!

Options
I need some clarification on this. I usually do 30 min of cardio, then move on to weight training. I've been reading alot about this, and am seeing so many conflicting opinions from the 'experts':

One expert says to do cardio first, then do resistance/weights afterwards because you'll be loosened up better. They claim weights first will make you too tired to do cardio, and you don't want to ruin your form due to being too tired.

One expert says to do start with weights, move to cardio to maximize metabolic burn, then return to weights.

One expert says to do weights first, basically to 'exhaust' your muscles, then go to cardio.

Can I get some opinions on this? These 'experts' are coming from NROLFW, Fitness websites and Health magazines. I'm so confused!

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I've read different opinions too. I suggest going with what works for YOU. Try both ways: cardio first and then weights first, on different days. How do you feel after? Were you able to get as good of a workout in each time, or was there a difference?

There are always going to be different opinions and typically no perfect answer, so I suggest with going with what works for your body, because everyone is different!
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've read different opinions too. I suggest going with what works for YOU. Try both ways: cardio first and then weights first, on different days. How do you feel after? Were you able to get as good of a workout in each time, or was there a difference?

There are always going to be different opinions and typically no perfect answer, so I suggest with going with what works for your body, because everyone is different!

DITTO!

I've tried both and I've never seen much difference in the work out. What works for you is the best answer.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting heavy weights, use common sense. Would you rather wear yourself out lifting weights and have your running form suffer, or wear yourself out running and drop hundreds of pounds on yourself?

If you're not lifting heavy weights, it probably doesn't matter enough.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I run before I do upper body (bent over rows, over head press and bench) because it works for me. I do feel nice and warmed up. I sometimes do a short cardio video after I lift, depending on how I feel. I also don't run a ton, typically a mile or slightly more, sometimes intervals. I do NOT run before doing lower body (squats, deadlifts) because I want my form to be perfect, and I don't want tired legs. I do some cardio and abs after I do lower body, depending on how I feel. Do what you really want to focus on first. I have found that for me, personally, running before benching, etc. doesn't affect my form (whether or not it affects my strength, I don't know) so I do that as a warm-up, and I like it. Honestly, I've seen all the conflicting advice as well. And, it boils down to this: how big of a difference does it honestly make? Are you losing it changing your metabolism so much you burn 100 more calories an hour just living for the next 6 hours, or are you just burning 50 extra calories, etc.? If the boost was a huge, really body altering one, I think the experts would mostly agree. So, just do what works for you.
  • Brobious
    Options
    Lift weights first so you aren't already tired when you lift heavy things over your head.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! With all the posts, I'll stay with what works for me-cardio, then lifting. I'm not opposed to trying different things, so maybe I'll experiment and see what works better, but what I've been doing so far is good.
  • Cindy393
    Options
    And no, at this time I'm not lifting heavy weights. Once I get there, I'm sure things will change for me.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Unless you are some type of professional body builder, just do it how you want. I like doing cardio first because I think running in an exhausted state is no fun and I recover from the run pretty quickly to where it doesn't affect my resistance training.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It depends upon your goals. Do whatever is most important first, so that you have the maximum benefit of that exercise.

If you want to be able to run an endurance race - or bike, swim, whatever - then do the cardio first and use the weights as an accessory.

If you want to maximize fat loss while maintaining muscle or just generally increase strength - then do the weights first and use cardio as the accessory.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It depends upon your goals. Do whatever is most important first, so that you have the maximum benefit of that exercise.

If you want to be able to run an endurance race - or bike, swim, whatever - then do the cardio first and use the weights as an accessory.

If you want to maximize fat loss while maintaining muscle or just generally increase strength - then do the weights first and use cardio as the accessory.

^^yep. Plus, as has been noted, if you are doing a more traditional strength training routine but more a cardio based endurance one, it becomes pretty moot.
  • Cindy393
    Options
    ^^ the more I read this, the more sense it makes!