Wanted - steelcut oats crockpot recipes

Options
I love, love steel cut oats but don't want to spend 25 minutes cooking them in the morning. I've been looking for recipes and it's hard to find any that you can cook overnight in a crockpot. Most of the recipes call for 4 hours on low, then they switch to the warm setting. My crockpot isn't programmable and I didn't see any good reviews on recipes that cook on low for 8 hours straight.
Have any of you actually tried a regular crockpot recipe that turned out ok, without burning, and was edible? Would it work to cook it in a bowl with water surrounding it? I'm wondering if that would keep it from burning.

Have you ever made a big batch of steelcut oats on the stove to use all week, and was it good?

Thanks!

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ferbabe
    Ferbabe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good news, you don't need to cook it at all! I actually do refridgerator oats with steel cut oatmeal. This has worked well for me, and the overnight time allows the oats to soak up the liquid without any cooking. Typically I make 3-5 different recipies in quart jars and pop them all in the fridge at the same time, and then grab them, nuke them, and go each morning.

Refrigerator Oats ; single serving

1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup steel cut oats
    1/4 cup regular oats

flavor as desired. My favorites are:
    Peaches, cinnamon, and vanilla protien powder
    Peanut butter and chocolate protien powder
    bananas, cinnamon, and chia seeds
    blueberries, cinnamon, chia seeds

mix everything in a jar or tupperware, place in the fridge for AT LEAST 12 hours. Will maintain a nice texture for up to 5 days (after that is starts to get an odd gluelike texture to it)

scale for your preferred serving size, I like a large breakfast, so this base is 334 calories if made with skim yogurt and milk. Up to 500 with protien, fruit, etc in there.

As an FYI, pre cooked steel cut oats also do keep for about a week as long as you keep them in an airtight container. I started out doing it this way, and found the refridgerator oats to be less work overall. (I make all my breakfasts, snacks, and lunches for the work week on Sunday night)
    ENJOY!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Good news, you don't need to cook it at all! I actually do refridgerator oats with steel cut oatmeal. This has worked well for me, and the overnight time allows the oats to soak up the liquid without any cooking. Typically I make 3-5 different recipies in quart jars and pop them all in the fridge at the same time, and then grab them, nuke them, and go each morning.

Refrigerator Oats ; single serving

1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup steel cut oats
    1/4 cup regular oats

flavor as desired. My favorites are:
    Peaches, cinnamon, and vanilla protien powder
    Peanut butter and chocolate protien powder
    bananas, cinnamon, and chia seeds
    blueberries, cinnamon, chia seeds

mix everything in a jar or tupperware, place in the fridge for AT LEAST 12 hours. Will maintain a nice texture for up to 5 days (after that is starts to get an odd gluelike texture to it)

scale for your preferred serving size, I like a large breakfast, so this base is 334 calories if made with skim yogurt and milk. Up to 500 with protien, fruit, etc in there.

As an FYI, pre cooked steel cut oats also do keep for about a week as long as you keep them in an airtight container. I started out doing it this way, and found the refridgerator oats to be less work overall. (I make all my breakfasts, snacks, and lunches for the work week on Sunday night)
    ENJOY!!
    Thanks so much! I love refrigerator oatmeal but I thought you couldn't use steel cut oats. I'll def. try these. :)
  • starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There are a few overnight slow cooker steel cut oats recipes here as well -- from skinnyms

http://skinnyms.com/top-5-slow-cooker-breakfast-recipes-on-skinny-ms/