To eat more or to eat less? Confused

So about a month or so in to constantly tracking on my work days which is where I have my worst eating habbits, I would say I feel better and I don't feel as tired. However I have not seen any pounds drop off, but I have gained 3 pounds since middle of jan. I'm currently 22 days into insanity and I have gained weight on a program that is suppose to shed it. Only proccessed food I really eat is a protein bar now days. So I came to a conclusion that I wasn't eating enough to workout as much as I was (twice a day). So I followed MFP calorie to the T and since eating more I feel better.... but I gained another pound. Not really sure whats going on I stayed on a diet of 1000-1500 cals to a diet of about 2-2500 cals. I do weight training in the morning for about 30-40 minutes and then insanity at night. I have noticed myself getting stronger and insanity is no doubt getting easier then when I first started. About 8 months ago when I decided to focus on my weight when I was 60 pounds heavier than I am now all I did was run and eat very very poorly. I lost 60 pounds in like 3 months so one could understand my frustration. Any thoughts?tips?Insight?

Replies

• Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    if insanity is getting easier you are probably adding muscle
  • jmnwoody
    jmnwoody Posts: 3 Member
    Try measuring for inches lost. That might help you find some motivation if you've lost inches all over your body, which you probably have!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Open your diary for a better idea.
  • jhul322
    jhul322 Posts: 25 Member
    Ya man I use to be on my HS powerlifting team which was 6-7 years ago and I have always had large as hell quads lol. But even if that is the case I can't be gaining a 4 pounds of muscle in less than a month. Just doesnt seem likely with all the changes to my diet. To gain that much in muscle I would have to be consuming double my food intake. I did a bulking program back in HS and had similar results but I'm litteraly eating a 1/3 of that
  • jhul322
    Open your diary for a better idea.

done sorry thought it already was
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    The only thing I can think, is are you weighing your food and even the protein powder?

ETA: Also water weight fluctuations can be quite high.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    You didn't post your stats. height? weight? bf%?

Looking at your diary, you eat less than me and exercise a lot more. And since you're a guy, you probably should be eating more than me, but your calories seem to be all over the place. It's hard to say with what little you provided.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    How many times a week do you exercise? And what are your other stats? That's high fuel so I would assume your close to goal? Or have less than 20% body fat?
  • jhul322
    Not really weighing the food just I guess you would say eye-balling it. Normally just follow the rule of thirds in regards to whats on my plate. 1/3 chicken, 1/3 greens, and something else like rice/potatoes or fruit. My portions are low to what I was eating a 10 months ago. And yes I understand about the water weight and that could be possible but I would think by now, especially through instanity and weight training I would of shed even a pound of weight if not more.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Not really weighing the food just I guess you would say eye-balling it. Normally just follow the rule of thirds in regards to whats on my plate. 1/3 chicken, 1/3 greens, and something else like rice/potatoes or fruit. My portions are low to what I was eating a 10 months ago. And yes I understand about the water weight and that could be possible but I would think by now, especially through instanity and weight training I would of shed even a pound of weight if not more.

Then I am betting you eat more than you think you are. Get a scale, start measuring.

Also, you eat a lot of fruit. I would be focusing more on lean protein and veggies.

Your daily lunch salad - are you using that kit or are you using that entry because it is similar to your meal?
  • 3dogsrunning
    How many times a week do you exercise? And what are your other stats? That's high fuel so I would assume your close to goal? Or have less than 20% body fat?

His ticker says 69lbs left to go. HIs daily goal is around 1800 calories per day before exercise - that's not unreasonable for a young male.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    if insanity is getting easier you are probably adding muscle

No.
  • jacksonpt
    You say you track cals on the days you work, because that's when you have the worst habits.

What about the days you don't work? Just because you have better habits doesn't mean you are eating the correct amount.

Eye balling foods is VERY risky when it comes to portion control and calorie goals.

If you are gaining, 99% sure you are eating too much. Some of it could be water retention based on workouts/foods eaten, but if you are gaining steadily for a fairly long stretch of time (which it sounds like you are doing), you're probably eating too much.
  • jhul322
    Twice a day, once in the AM weight training and once at night when I get off work. I have a desk job so very low intense job. And I do this 5-6 days a week.
  • jhul322
    You say you track cals on the days you work, because that's when you have the worst habits.

What about the days you don't work? Just because you have better habits doesn't mean you are eating the correct amount.

Eye balling foods is VERY risky when it comes to portion control and calorie goals.

If you are gaining, 99% sure you are eating too much. Some of it could be water retention based on workouts/foods eaten, but if you are gaining steadily for a fairly long stretch of time (which it sounds like you are doing), you're probably eating too much.

On my 3 days off spread out through the week it is generally just salad and fruit. Roomate works at Nooks (salad place) and normally just get a very basic salad with some chicken or cook up some talapia with it. And I can eat that twice a day with a protein shake in between and some eggs for breakfast. Main reason I don't track on those days is because I'm not near a computer as I try to go be active outside.
  • jhul322

Then I am betting you eat more than you think you are. Get a scale, start measuring.

Also, you eat a lot of fruit. I would be focusing more on lean protein and veggies.

Your daily lunch salad - are you using that kit or are you using that entry because it is similar to your meal?
    I change the lettuce to full spinach and I take out the cheese, and use just a very mild salsa. But I will look into getting a scale seems to be the general feedback. But regarding the 1800 cal before a workout was good and that's what I'm about at right now. When I was eating less around 1000-1400ish I was hungry all the time it seemed but I just dealt with it. Also the fruit is some frozen strawberries for a shake and then maybe have a few sliced strawberries with a salad.
  • AtlGlamBabe34
    AtlGlamBabe34 Posts: 16 Member
    I'm not criticizing, but for starters, you need to pick the entries that reflect the actual calorie count of what you're eating. For example, there is no way on earth that 13 ounces of potatoes have only 55 calories. A 4 oz baked potato has 100 calories, so for 13 oz you have about 330 calories. Your stats are off by 275 calories right there. Same with the chicken thighs- 4 oz should have about 200 calories. These small errors add up, trust me I've been there. Also, as others have said, a food scale is essential. You would not believe how much you over-portion yourself by eyeballing. Measure and weigh your food consistently for a month and make sure you pick proper entries to track, and I bet you will see big results as much as you work out.
  • jacksonpt

On my 3 days off spread out through the week it is generally just salad and fruit. Roomate works at Nooks (salad place) and normally just get a very basic salad with some chicken or cook up some talapia with it. And I can eat that twice a day with a protein shake in between and some eggs for breakfast. Main reason I don't track on those days is because I'm not near a computer as I try to go be active outside.

So the bottom line is that you have no idea how many cals you are eating. On off days you don't log, and on "on" days you don't measure, only eyeball portion sizes.

I stick with my original assessment... you're eating too much.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    How are you measuring your calories burned by exercise? It's possible that you're overestimating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

So the bottom line is that you have no idea how many cals you are eating. On off days you don't log, and on "on" days you don't measure, only eyeball portion sizes.

I stick with my original assessment... you're eating too much.

X2....

OP, when I first started out, I did the same thing...eyeballed my portions and entered a lot of stuff that was similar to the meals I was actually eating, etc. When I didn't make any progress despite making more nutritious decisions, etc I went out and bought a digital food scale. I was amazed by how much I was overestimating my portions. It doesn't take much either considering my goal was 1 Lb per week with a 500 calorie per day deficit...that's really not a lot of wiggle room in the grand scheme of things.

I think you'll find that you are in fact eating more than you think you are. Also...ditto on the potato comment above...no way 13 oz of potato is 55 calories...it's way more than that.