Any greenthumbs out there that can help?

Options
Ok, so we have a fabulous garden that is starting to really produce (thanks to all this midwest rain lately) and I have a question about my coriander/cilantro plant. It has bolted, and is flowering and I have read on a lot of websites that once it bolts and you harvest the cilantro, you need to re-sow. My problem...it hasn't produced any fruit, therefore, no seeds. Is this something that will happen after it flowers? Or is my plant a dud of sorts?

Totally off topic I know, but you MFPers come through on everything else, so I thought I'd give this a shot!

Replies

• erin1205
    erin1205 Posts: 99
    Options
    Ok, so we have a fabulous garden that is starting to really produce (thanks to all this midwest rain lately) and I have a question about my coriander/cilantro plant. It has bolted, and is flowering and I have read on a lot of websites that once it bolts and you harvest the cilantro, you need to re-sow. My problem...it hasn't produced any fruit, therefore, no seeds. Is this something that will happen after it flowers? Or is my plant a dud of sorts?

Totally off topic I know, but you MFPers come through on everything else, so I thought I'd give this a shot!
  • mrsksanchez
    Options
    you're not suppossed to let it flower i've been told having said that i haven't had luck with cilantro so i just buy it at the store:embarassed:
  • erin1205
    Options
    Really? Not a single gardener out there? Well I thought it might be a little too off topic...but it was worth a try! :laugh:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help you... have just discovered my passion for gardening this year. A good year to start that passion, yes, thanks to all this midwest rain you mention!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Ok I don't have cilantro growing and haven't ever tried to but I have an awesome set of encyclopedias specifically for gardening. Problem though is it goes by the proper name. I didn't find anything on cilantro.

However this is what it says on coriander, " height of about 8 inches and bears white, pinkish or purplish flowers in June and July. " "The seeds (technically the fruits) have a pleasant aroma when they are ripe, but are ill-scented before they are mature." "When the fruits are ripe (about August) the plants are cut, dried in the shade, and threshed to release the seeds. Seed sowing is done in early spring in the North, in spring or early fall in the South."

Hope that helps.
    Happy Gardening...:flowerforyou:
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    I absolutely love to garden, but..... I hate cilantro more than I love to garden. So sorry I can't help...:flowerforyou:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I love cilantro. Cilantro, if you leave it alone, will produce little round seeds (coriander). Just shake those seeds back into the ground and they will start growing again. When you grow cilantro, keep cutting it back before it goes to seed to get a longer crop.
  • erin1205
    Options
    Thanks all for the info-you guys are great! I guess I'll just wait it out a bit and see if it fruits...chores006.gif