Which is worse...Sugar or salt?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
It's getting so I'm actually afraid to eat fruit because I always go over my sugars! I can't believe how much sugar they contain! On the other hand I'm really trying to reduce my sodium and I have 700mg left for my daily allowance even though I'm done eating for the day.:)

So...should I eat pretzels or a pear for a snack? I don't want to go over in sugars but I definitely don't want a lot of sodium either!

HELP! Thanks!

Lisa

Replies

• blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!! I am over my sugar, sodium and sometimes even protein for most days. My sodium is out of control. Usually 1000-2000 mg more than I am suppose to have and I don't even know how to combat that! I am eating egg beaters and fat free cheese. I had no idea they contact so much sodium. But come on, I am already giving up a lot. How on earth am I suppose to cut out all that too? As for the sugar from the fruit, I am saying boo to that too. I will not cut out fruit. That is just ridiculous. How can they say we need at least 5 servings of fruit a day and then have 22g sugar in an apple and try to limit out sugar? As long as it is coming from fruit, I am not going to worry about it.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    pretzels are high in glycemic index because they spike your insulin then drop it fast. Natural sugar is always better than processed food.

You could always choose Lower GI fruits I would think fruit is better than pretzels any day but that's my opinion
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    pretzels are high in glycemic index because they spike your insulin then drop it fast. Natural sugar is always better than processed food.

You could always choose Lower GI fruits I would think fruit is better than pretzels any day but that's my opinion

I agree. Yes sugar is sugar, but anything natural is better than processed things!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The recommended amount on MFP is for ADDED sugar. Don't worry about your fruits, they're natural sugars that are good for you. Ultimately, sugar & salt are both pretty bad for you. High amounts of sugar can cause diabetes, high amounts of salt can cause heart disease. Just keep both in check. I took carbs off my daily nutrients tracked because I always had some left so I didn't feel like I had to "watch" it. I go over on sugar everyday but just make sure it's not the fake stuff that I have a lot of.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I'd go for the pear - at least you're getting vitamins and fibre out of it, you're getting squat from the pretzels except empty starch
  • skatjon
    skatjon Posts: 29
    Options
    ALWAYS go for the natural food! I watch sugar over everything else BUT sugar in fruit is better than processed foods and you need sugar after your workout so if you eat an apple with a protein shake 30 min after you workout it's really good for muscle repair. I use fruit (mostly berries - they are lower in sugar than other fruit) to sweeten oatmeal (not the per packed type), plain greek yogart, low fat cottage cheese... and I have an apple with a protein drink or 1/2 bananna blended with the drink everyday. Hope that helps :)
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    unless you are a diabetic I would not be concerned about eating fruit. Pretzels are empty calories. no brainer imho good luck with your new lifestyle.