Extra skin or fat? How to get rid of it?

Options
I've lost 30 total lbs. in total. I had lost 15 prior to being here and 15 since joinin g. I plan to loose 25 more.
I had a c-section 8 years ago and then another pregnancy since. I never lost the weight. I started all this trying to pull in the uncomfortable skin/fat on my hips that came from my stomach. I thought it was mother's apron but I can't tell. It is uneven due to the scar on my stomach.
As I continue this journey, how can I work to pull this area in even more? I do planks, pelvic tilts and lots of stretching. Can it be done? or is it just a matter of fat coming off of that area last? It makes me feel really insecure and even moreso, uncomfortable because the area is so soft?
Any success getting rid of this and if so, when did it finally go?

Replies

• yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It has takin a while but mine is slowly getting there. Im about 15 away from my goal and Im swimsuit shopping today!
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss!
    I'm interested in the posts on this topic as this is something that's going to affect me too. I've picked up that compression may help along with collagen producing (is this possible? Really?) As for compression I will be investing in an Esbelt. I've worn one before in the run up to a wedding. It does help to sculpt the waist and once you get used to it its rather comfy!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    fat loss will be lost at the same rate all around the body , spot reduction is not possible unless u get liposuction ... continue to eat less calories ur body burns and it will eventually go ... if it is loose skin go see a surgeon and see what he has to say
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat foods high in Vitamin A,E and K.
    These help restore elasticity in the skin.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If this is the area you tend to put your weight on then it is generally the last to leave. While skin elasticity will have something to do with it and core work will help the biggest thing is to lose extra weight. I am about 5 lbs from goal and that is pretty much the only place I have fat. It is significantly smaller than it was and continuing to shrink.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing about this as well. I also had 2 c- sections and lost a lot of weight. I think mine is a mixture of fat and skin still :frown: But interested in hearing others advise on how to improve it
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Eat foods high in Vitamin A,E and K.
    These help restore elasticity in the skin.

Thanks for the tip Dan!
  • jannashrinks
    jannashrinks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too in the vitamin component. I do take my vitamins and I have been using Stretch Mark cream the whole time I've been loosing. The mid-section fat above a c-section scar is really soft and strange....lol.
    I also used to wrap one of those Gold's Gym things around myself when I would jog. It would make me sweat, which made that area feel better....maybe it was psychological. I have even been doing an "It works" wrap every 5 pounds. I don't know that IT really works though....but they came in 3 packs. I can't wait to see what happens in 20 pounds. I just hate how it looks and feels.

THANKS ALL!
  • jannashrinks
    Options
    Thanks! Hadn't thought of that....and I read...ALOT. :)
  • Lollipopslady
    Lollipopslady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dan, do you have any foods you can share that are high in Vitamin A, E & K.
  • lenore304
    Options
    I hate to break it to ya but the only real way to get rid of it is through a plastic surgeon. It's like if you have a nice sweater and someone stretches it out. You can't unstretch the fibers, they are just going to hang there no matter what kind of lotions and potions and old wives tales you partake in.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting at all? If you aren't - While you may be losing weight that weight might be a mix of fat and lean body mass.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to ya but the only real way to get rid of it is through a plastic surgeon. It's like if you have a nice sweater and someone stretches it out. You can't unstretch the fibers, they are just going to hang there no matter what kind of lotions and potions and old wives tales you partake in.

Maybe she should take really hot baths to shrink the skin, then. That works on my sweaters. I'm just kidding. You are right. However, I've seen my skin shrink back quite a bit. It takes longer for the skin to adjust than it does for the fat to go away. Months to see the difference. Also, I'm sure it depends on how stretched it is.

Good luck!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

The body does have some natural ability to snap back into place. Many, many, MANY women with children have stomachs that look like they've never seen a pregnancy. Without surgery.

Many things factor into how well your body will snap back.
    - how stretched were you, and for how long (ie - was someone obese for many years)
    - how quickly you lose the weight
    - how well you feed your body (fluids and nutrients are important)
    - TIME. It takes time. It can take up to 2 years after your loss, to see just where your skin will settle out.
  • jannashrinks
    Options
    I only really started this journey in early October. I was getting sick in my marriage, losing my hair and holding onto fat no doubt due to fight or flight instincts. I do eat healthfully, I do very low sugar. I eat a lot of protein. I get my sleep now. I know my ability to heal is good, because I look nothing like I did when I left my husband in November.

I DO SCAR EASILY. I have olive skin. Every little scratch leaves a mark. If this translates into the stretchmarks and lose skin then I'm probably just going to have to accept it. It feels better...

I know I wouldn't do anything drastic until I've given in 2 years (like the poster above) mentioned, just to see where the healing will end up....by healing I mean skin returning, as much as possible, to where it originally was.

Thanks all.....I've had other surgery and I'm not in a hurry for any more....plus terribly afraid of "fake" bellybutton.....lol.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

The body does have some natural ability to snap back into place. Many, many, MANY women with children have stomachs that look like they've never seen a pregnancy. Without surgery.

Many things factor into how well your body will snap back.
    - how stretched were you, and for how long (ie - was someone obese for many years)

Needed to hear this :smile: At least it gives me a little hope
    - genetics
    - how quickly you lose the weight
    - how well you feed your body (fluids and nutrients are important)
    - TIME. It takes time. It can take up to 2 years after your loss, to see just where your skin will settle out.