Trying not to get discouraged...

Options
BUT, I have been doing *ALMOST* everything right for the last 50 days. I am working out usually 5-6 days a week...cardio and lifting. I'm eating VERY healthy most days. Some days I cave in and (especially since V-Day) I have had some chocolate or wine. My calories though are almost always under 1500-1600. I just can't seem to shake any weight though! I've been stuck here at 170 for what seems like forever. I lost 7-8 at the beginning of the year, but I seem frozen since then.

I don't want to be one of those, "Muscle weighs more than fat" people who claims that I'm not losing b/c I am building muscle....but is that an actual possibility or just something people say? I should measure and stay off the scale, I know. I feel like I know all the things everyone could possibly say to me in response to this thread, but maybe someone will surprise me!

Thoughts? Help? Ideas?

Replies

• slimiranda
    slimiranda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been just the same for 2 weeks and yesterday I took a water tablet and drank about 5L of water... overnight I lost 6lbs! I had been perfect and doing 30 day shred for 20 days. I am back on track now and feel good. It is so annoying doing everything right then not seeing any change on the scales. Apparantly if you are doing a lot of exercise your muscles hang on to lots of water as they repair then you need to drink loads more water for your body to release it. Sorry if you have allready tried it.

Keep your chin up!!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public, this way we can help.
  • hofosho1020
    Options
    Oh, I thought it was. I'll go change that!
  • Jax_30
    Jax_30 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am identical.... Working my *kitten* off, and not too much movement...... I am open to suggestions....., training for my first half in May,
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Funny you mention that. We were just talking about that in chit chat forum. Thing is -it is true. You will lose fat, but gain muscle. So the scale might not move, but the measurements change drastically. Your clothes start to slide off. And depending on the food you put in your body, that's going to determine your results, watch your sodium and carb intake those can trip you up. I wouldn't worry so much about the scale. But you definitely need to eat more if your burning all those calories working out 6days a week. You need fuel. Last thing you want is your body to hang on to every bit of fat because your low on fuel, and eat the muscle. Trust me on this one. I'm living proof.
  • jonnie7053
    jonnie7053 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself and get a tape measure.
    my weight hasn't moved for 4 months but I've lost inches
  • drlauraks
    drlauraks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem, at approx. the same weight. i have tried increasing my intake a little, then decreasing it a little, based on comments from others but neither seems to make a difference. I was losing, then it slowed down, now slowly creeping back up. I do feel more muscular, but really that is supposed to eventually help burn off the fat which I have not noticed.
  • hofosho1020
    Options
    I also just changed my settings to one pound per week instead of 2. Maybe I was too low on calories. Good advice on the tape measure, I really do need to do that.
  • hazardouskys
    hazardouskys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here are just a few suggestions.

Try having a meatless day.
    Cut down on Gluten (It will bloat you and slow down weight loss)
    Always have water on your person and drink a glass before your meals
    Make sure you are constantly changing up your cardio and exercise routines.
    Eliminate sodas and alcohol completely
    http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/ <This girl has some really great ideas for meals and low calorie/fat options to some homey foods
    Try the Insanity workout. It is very expensive but you can find free videos and infographics from it on youtube and throughout the web. <Has worked miracles for me!

I hope these help and good luck!
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Have you worked out your TDEE and BMR?
    If not, here is a spreadsheet you can use to do that. It is on my drive, just go download it and play with the numbers. It will help educate yourself, at least it helped me.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit?usp=sharing

Have a blessed day!
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Have you hit one of your goals you set in the begininning? A lot of times, when someone accomplishes one of their stepping stone goals or a weight goal, they become a bit complacent. Maybe your still spending as much time in the gym, but not hitting it as hard? Or eating the same types of food and not measuring them? I call it back to basics. Start by re-examinging why you want to lose weight, and then go back to being a 'newbie' for a week, be hyper aware of everything you eat and what you do in the gym.
    Best of luck to you!! Celebrate what you've accomplished!
  • chigby77
    chigby77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try drinking 3 cups of Roasted dandelion Tea a day, it's caffeine free. It's a natural diuretic and gets the juices flowing to detoxify and rid the body of bloat. Definitely cut all the sugar. No alcohol or chocolate for the next week (and watch the sodium) add the the tea with all that exercise, and I bet you'll post a weight loss number that will make you smile.

I wasn't dropping much and I am working out hard and eating very clean, so I stopped eating my exercise calories added the tea this week (per Jillian Michaels book) and I lost 2.5 in a few days.

Congrats on sticking with it, despite your frustrations.
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Try changing up Ur workout. Sometimes muscld gains memory and your workouts become less effective.
  • hofosho1020
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! I am meeting with a trainer today, hopefully he can get me on a new workout plan!
  • chigby77
    chigby77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Switching your big protein meal of the day to Lunch (or a later lunch) might help. Consuming a bigger dinner at night is counter productive since you'll store it till you need it. Our trainer asked us to eat more protein and fat calories for our breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and go lite with a dinner salad, veggies (or something with less protein and fat) like nuts, and fruit. He thinks it will speed up our weight loss. Might be worth a try.