Exercise Alternatives

Options
Alright, as I'm sure there are already some posts about this, but I need some alternative exercise ideas. So, far I've been walking and hiking, I just started the Couch to 5k, also. However, I need some either free or inexpensive ideas to helping lose weight. I bought a jump rope and used it once. I guess I can start doing that. I heard the batting cages are great for your side muscles. Actually, I'm proof. I spent an hour in the batting cages and the next day I was in so much pain that I couldn't laugh without wanting to die. Rollerskating at the beach. Riding my bike. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, folks!!

Replies

• gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You can try going on a nice long hike. But make sure you wear really good shoes to avoid blisters.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a pretty good work out. I also like doing simple strength training like push ups and sit ups (bicycle crunches are stellar!). They can be kind of boring, so I put on some upbeat music and have at it.

I also crank up the disco and dance around my house as I clean. It's a simple way to burn a few extra cals. :D
  • doodleinmd
    doodleinmd Posts: 16
    Options
    Probably one of the MOST economical things to do is to buy a Pedometer(I got mine for under $10), click on the ipod and WALK....WALK....WALK! Better even is to find a buddy to walk with you, my good friend & I try to walk a few nights a week and with that we get in our "Gab" time and before long 3-5 miles are done. I've had great success with it and it really helps to clear the mind as well! Continued success!!!

-Deb
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm not sure if you aren't feeling challenged but perhaps try stringing some of your activities together like a triatholon. So maybe ride your bike for a bit, hoop off, run a bit, then take your skates out of your back pack, put them on and skate back to your bike.

I did something kind of like this where I rode my bike from work straight to the track to do a day of c25k and then rode straight home from there. I was EXHAUSTED.
  • StVal
    StVal Posts: 91
    Options
    I hike like crazy. At least 3-4 times a week. But you know how your body begins to get used to doing something and then it doesn't become as effective as it once was? Well, that's what hiking is turning into for me. :( It makes a me a little sad, but at least my dog enjoys it with me. A friend of mine is working out at 24 Hour Fitness doing the Hot Hula class and she was saying that she burns calories and sweats like crazy. Except I don't have a membership and that's not an option right now. The free gym at my work is. Except I need to be outside.
  • erssher
    erssher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have On Demand, Exercise TV has some great workouts!
  • gecallo
    gecallo Posts: 135
    Options
    Try some Ab-Plyometric interval training. You have dozens of Ab and Plyometric exercises to choose from, so it's really easy to incorporate a lot of variety into the training. Plus, you don't need any exercise equipment, just your body.

Step 1:
    Google or You-Tube Ab and Plyometric exercises...familiarize yourself with them.

Step 2:
    Develop a circuit routine...For example:
    6 Ab exercises and 6 Plyo's...
    Do one Ab exercise for 30-40 seconds, then right after do a plyometric exercise for 30s, but do it with INTENSITY (or add two plyo's @30s ea.)....then rest for 30s and repeat this pattern until you do all 6 Ab and Plyo exercises...remember, you can choose 6 different ab exercises and 6 different (or same) plyo's. (I vary my abs but use the same plyo's.)

Step 3:
    Repeat circuit 2-3 times...perform 3 times a week.

Step 4:
    Show-off your abs :wink:
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Great information! Thanks!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hula Hoop!
  • aliceofwonderland
    Options
    Try ice skating. Most rinks have free skate on weekends, and rental skates are generally pretty cheap if you don't have any. Its so much fun & burns tons of calories! :smile:
  • talliekins
    talliekins Posts: 5
    Options
    Go on YouTube and search for Zumba workouts! A lot of gyms put their routines online, so you can have a class in the comfort of your own home! Great cardio, and it's super fun!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    There are many great videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to do cardio and resistance circuits using your own bodyweight. Search for things like "bodyweight circuit training".

My own personal favorite site for free workout ideas is Bodyrock.tv. The workouts will kick your butt, but they will also give you results. All of them use minimal equipment and many use only your own bodyweight.
  • foxsmommy
    foxsmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Okay here is my dilema.....
    I workout everyday on my treadmill and found great ways to burn max calories. but i have also started doing 3 of the exercisetv on demand workouts and they are short and sweet leave me sweating like crazy and really feeling the burn but i have no way to know how many cal's i have burned since i dont have a pedomiter
    If anyone knows how much you burn doing any or all of these
    YOU WILL BE SAVING ME HOURS OF WONDERING
    1. tank top arms 20 min with cindy whitmarsh who is the most amazing trainer ever she is the only one who can say things like come on keep it up and i dont cuss at the tv..ahhahahh
    2. Pilates leg slimmer and toner about 15 min
    3. six pack ab calorie burn cindy whitmarsh part of the enviga series about 12 min
    thanks so much for the help
    by the way if you do all three of these its only about 40 min of strength training but it breaks it up so its not so hard and is a total body sculpt that you can really feel i suggest you give it a shot