Planet Fitness??

Options
13»

Replies

• ldicianno
    ldicianno Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been a member at PF for over a year. It's great, they leave you alone and you can go in do your workout and leave. I was a member at LA fitness. I left because the trainers would always try to hit on me and it was annoying. If you're self motivated its a great place to work out. Its cheap clean and private.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm a member there. It's a great deal. There are no classes (other than they will teach you how to use the equipment). I have treadmills, elipticals, bikes, arc trainers. There are plenty of machines, and free weights. I use their 30 minute circuit workout once in awhile when I don't have a lot of time. I'm a "black card member" so I bring a guest in with me a lot. But I also use the massage chair and massage tables a lot.

There does seem to be a little less stress in the air. No one is trying to impress anyone. I went with a friend to LA Fitness recently and I felt like a fish out of water. Everyone was wearing all this expensive workout clothes, the weight area had these guys benching 300lbs. The general feeling was a little more upscale and nightclub like. I mean no one was looking down on me, but still.

What I do like about PF is that there are cleaning stations all over with spray and paper towels and people are pretty good at wiping down the equipment after they use it. I didn't see any cleaning or towels at La Fitness.

If you're just looking for a place to workout, without a lot of hype. PF is fine. But if you want to take Spin Classes and Zumba, and kickboxing, pools, spas, saunas, etc, Then pay the $25 extra month and join LA Fitness or LifeTime or something like that!

- Mike
  • dngrwmn
    dngrwmn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What is a "Lunk Alarm"? I've never heard of that. I don't know if I'd like a gym that told me I couldn't do certain exercises, however, for the price, it might be worth it if the restrictions weren't an issue to you.

I go to 24 hour fitness. I love that place. I actually cancelled my membership a few years ago to try something else and turned out not liking the new place as much, so I'm back to 24 hour. In my experience, there are all kinds of people at the gym and if you let them get to you, you will never meet your goals. I was recently told that if you want to make a difference with yourself/body/fitness, you need to step outside your comfort zone. Otherwise, you will never make a change.
  • jpoblete77
    jpoblete77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's $10/month and well worth it! Compared to $29-49 that others would charge. No frills no thrills, just a workout gym that you can work as hard as you like! Unless you plan to lift more than 300lbs, this would suffice your needs. I've been a member for 4years and have never heard the lunk alarm. I've accidentally dropped weights on the machine, and I'm concious not to do it again...but I've never been reprimanded for it.
  • partee1
    Options
    I highly recommend it. My center is much larger about 30 treads and ellipticals. It's a great place. Can't beat it for the price.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm living in the UK now, and I don't believe there are PFs here. But if I was back in the US, no way would I join one. I find their attitude towards people who lift to be really ugly and ridiculous. I'm also pretty suspicious of them handing out pizza and stuff, and the attitude that mediocrity rules. So yeah, I'm not a fan of their philosophy at all.

I was a Gold's Gym member for years and a member of a privately owned gym in my city back in the US. Over here I'm a member of a chain gym (Virgin Active). Not really a fan, but it's a nice walking distance from me and it works for now. When my contract is up, I'll re-evaluate.

As for anyone who harbours this strange fear of fit people--it is in your best interests to get over it immediately.

At different times in my life, I have been both one of those fit people lifting, and later a really fat chick on the cardio machines who sometimes ventured over into the free weight section, as I knew what I liked doing best. Now I'm a less fat (but still fat) chick busting a move in the free weights section just like anyone else and throwing the kettlebells around. I will admit I felt a bit intimidated going back to the gym after putting on all my weight (I gained over 100 lbs), having been the really in shape "before" person. But what was the alternative? Stay home until I lost 100 lbs? No.

I got over my initial fear real quick by deciding to just focus on me and do my thing. I showed up with a plan as to what I was going to do when I hit the free weights (no standing around looking lost or stupid that way), and I had my ipod with earphones to drown out whatever, and that was it. And guess what? Everyone else was in their own worlds, focusing on themselves, too.

And you know, back when I was in great shape, young, etc. I wasn't checking out the fat people at my Gold's Gym and giggling at them! Why would I? Just like now, I was in "the zone" and only concerned with what I was there to do that day. I'm happy to report that as a fat chick, the vast majority of men and women lifting are the same way I was back then--focused on themselves! That was true at my gyms back in the US, and same goes for over here in the UK. Disclaimer--at any given gym, there happen to be at least one or two really annoying people who you'll notice are there working out whenever you are. Maybe it's that super stinky guy who never mops up his sweat puddles and yells instead of talks in a normal voice. Or maybe it's that woman who wants to be the gym nazi and tell everyone what they can and can't do. Whatever! They are everywhere too. You just accept their existence as you do a pillar in the middle of the zumba studio and ignore them...sidestep them and do your own thing. :laugh: