Exercise alternatives for a small apartment?

Options
I am a full time working mom, so most days I can only exercise after baby goes to sleep. I have a treadmill, but I am looking for alternatives so that I don't run every day and give my legs a break.

Which fitness video or routine does not require much space and bulky equipment? (no room to store it).

I am thinking of buying hula hoops but something else would be nice -- that is not enough.

Replies

• NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Would "30 day shred" work in a small apartment space, on a 8x10 rug?
  • Vicki66C
    Vicki66C Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iphone or ipod touch? I use an app called "workout in a bag". It's a great app and you can set your own music to it if you like. Also you mention hula hoops. I also use a weighted hula hoop and love it. What about Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos? They don't require a lot of space.
  • dngrwmn
    dngrwmn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would think 30 day shred would work in a small area. I haven't done it in awhile, but I do remember doing it at the foot of my bed in less space than 8 x 10. Good luck
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    collagevideo.com sells hundreds of workout DVDs ..... you can view video clips & read reviews. They give information about what equipment is required, if the workout is low impact (great for upstairs apartments)

If your apartment is not on the ground floor - talk to your downstairs neighbors before starting anything labeled high impact - or pick a time when they're gone. 30 Day Shred is a high impact circuit workout (combines cardio & strength).

I (personally) can't stand Jillian ....but I do like Kelly Coffey Meyer. Her 30 Minutes to Fitness series is great. Here are 2 I like:

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/kelly-coffeys-30-minutes-to-fitness-body-training-5756 ....no weights required

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/kelly-coffeys-30-min-to-fitness-your-best-body-6107 .... uses dumbbells

Most strength workouts are going to use a small amount of space ..... your treadmill takes care of your cardio .... hula hoop is cardio too.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred would.. all you need but don't really need are connect-a-mats/yoga mat and dumbbells. I have a 830sq ft upper level house and I workout in my living room
  • violinkeri
    Options
    nerdfitness.com has a workout for a hotel room--so thats a pretty small space--and only uses items you would find in a hotel room, such as the floor and a chair, and something to lift like a box or suitcase.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Insanity doesn't require any equipment and it is really effective.