Homemade french fries

Options
I would like to make homemade french fries tonight for dinner, obviously I dont want to fry them, but everytime I have baked them, they were in the oven forever and still hard!! Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bake them...

I found this it may help..

Baked French Fries
    Low Calorie Recipe
    Ingredients:
    Two large potatoes
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    *Preheat oven to 450-degrees.
    Directions:
    Peel potatoes and cut into slices 4-inches long and 1/4-inch wide; place in a bowl of iced water to crisp. Just before cooking, turn onto paper towel and pat dry. Spread pieces in one layer of a shallow baking pan. Sprinkle with the vegetable oil. Shake pan to spread oil evenly over potatoes. Bake 30-40 minutes, turning frequently, until gold brown.
    Empty potatoes onto paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and paprika. Recipe makes 16 to 20 servings, depending on size of potatoes.
    Nutrition information per serving Baked French Fries (three 1/4-inch fries):
    Calories 93
    Total Fat 3g
    Cholesterol 0mg
  • vanessaxlynne
    Options
    YUM Ice water?? Really?? Going to give this one a whirl tonight...THANKS :tongue:
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I've never done this, but I heard from a friend that if you boil your potatos for a bit before you bake them you get the fluffy inside and crispier outside that we're used to. Maybe do some recipe searching for something like that?
  • volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    Options
    Every time I try to bake homemade fries it just doesnt' work out for me :( I tried once to boil them for a bit then bake and they weren't too bad.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Never had any luck with homemade fries, but I have found that baking the Ore-Ida waffle cut fries... they actually turn out pretty decent.
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Roasted French Fries

(Prep Time: 10 minutes. Baking Time: 35 minutes)

4-6 medium potatoes
    1 Tablespoon olive oil + 1 teaspoon
    ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
    ½ teaspoon paprika

Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, mix 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, salt and paprika and set aside. Scrub potatoes. Potatoes can be peeled or skin left on depending on your preference. Cut each potato in ½" strips (like a french fry). Add potatoes to olive oil mixture in bowl and toss to coat. Line a cookie sheet with foil and distribute 1 teaspoon of olive oil over the surface of the foil. Pour the potatoes onto the foil. Add additional salt if desired. Bake at 400° for 30-40 minutes, turning and loosening potatoes from the foil half way through the baking time.

Serves 4-6
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries are great in the oven!
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Heat - high heat . Pre- heat oven to 450 degrees. Wait - wait for temp to get up to proper temp. (450) & leave them for at least 10 minutes before turning them . If you mess with them sooner - they will fall apart!
    Heat - high heat!
    BTW - fresh rosemary and garlic make them super yummy!!!
  • vanessaxlynne
    Options
    OH yes sweet potato fries are excellent but I just bought so much russet potatoes and wanted to use them...I am craving potatoes lately LOL if you look at my food diary I have been eating baked potatoes like there is no tomorrow LOL...

BTW thanks for all the tips...:)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I like to do the small red potatoes, skins on. Toss with some olive oil, s&p, garlic poweder and some crushed red pepper for some heat, then bake. Yum!
  • KellenRae
    KellenRae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do something similar to what cobygrey posted.

I cut potatoes into wedges... usually 24 per potato. I drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle on McCormick's Grill Seasoning.
    I arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Honestly, I lay them out on the sheet and THEN add the oil and seasoning.

Bake in a 450 degree oven for 12-13 minutes, turn them over and bake for another 12-13 minutes. Depending on how thin the wedges ended up (based on the size and shape of the potato), they turn out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
    They're perfect every time for me and we make them often!

They're in the database as Kellen's Steak Fries.
  • vanessaxlynne
    Options
    I didnt get a chance to make them because my son wanted tacos, so I made the healthy version of that (ground turkey ate it like a salad etc) tomorrow I will make the fries, thanks everyone :)