I always seem to be hungry.

Options
Hello,

I always seems to be hungry. I have tried many things to trick my brain into thinking I am full. Does anyone have any tips that has worked for them?

Thanks,
Andrew

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Eating more?

Sorry to sound flippant, but you haven't really provided much detail about your stats. How much to you weigh? How many calories are you presently eating? What types of food? What kind of exercise do you do and how often?

Eating different kinds of food and/or getting different macronutrient ratios might help but it could also be that your body is seriously signaling to you that you aren't eating enough to fuel it. It is difficult to give anything besides real general advice (which are probably the "tricks" you are referring to) without a little more detail or without being able to see your food diary.
  • ryanmelissa09
    Options
    Hello,

I always seems to be hungry. I have tried many things to trick my brain into thinking I am full. Does anyone have any tips that has worked for them?

Thanks,
    Andrew

I find if you keep yourself busy , it takes your mind away from wanting to eat. Doing just little errands here and there around the house or outside away from food helps best.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Try eating foods with more fiber and/or protein. Those are more filling than empty carb snacks. I have a string cheese or a fiber one bar or a packet of oatmeal and that usually helps me to stay full between meals.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    Well, I'm not sure about tricking your brain into thinking you're full, but I do have a technique I use to make sure I'm really hungry and not eating unnecessarily. The moment I start feeling hunger pains, I drink at least 8 oz of water. If, in 20 minutes, I'm still hungry, I'll allow myself a (healthy) snack. Occasionally when your stomach grumbles, you're actually thirsty - your body asks for water the same way it asks for food sometimes, and staying well hydrated helps me to discriminate between real hunger and being thirsty or eating out of habit.

Welcome, by the way. :smile:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Lean proteins hold you longer, aren't very caloric, and, for me, are more satisfying!
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Dear Andrew,

Listening to your body is super important when entering into a diet and exercise program! First, take a look at your water intake. Often times hunger can be confused with thirst. When you start feeling a bit hungry, try about 10 ounces of water to see if that take the edge off. Be sure to stay plenty hydrated, especially if you are kicking up your exercise routines! Second, if you body is telling you it is truly hungry for food, there is nothing wrong with snacking, as long as your food choices are smart. High fiber, low fat, low calorie fruits, vegetables, and whole grain snacks can increase feelings of satiety without packing on those calories. Being on a diet doesn't mean starving yourself, which in fact impedes weight loss by resetting your metabolism over a period of time and leads to the yo-yo effect. Lastly, a very importantly, determine if what you are feeling is truly hunger rather than in impulse to eat based on your mood. Many people use food to mood alter whether it be to comfort themselves, relieve stress, or simply escape. Listen to that body of yours, it has plenty to say! :-) Best of luck!
  • jeffball
    jeffball Posts: 10
    Options
    +1 ablykins