Curious about an input issue

Options
Ok, quick question... Hope this makes sense. If I eat a total of 1500 calories daily, then exercise off 500 calories... do I need to eat an additional 500 calories? I'm asking because when you input you calories burned into the system, it states that you have earned an additional "number of calories" for that day. I would think that you wouldnt want to eat those additional calories if you have burned them off because, to me, that nulifies the exercise.
Example:

1500 total available calories for the day
-1500 eaten calories
equals 0 calories left to eat for the day

then for your exercise:

500 calories burnt
system says Ive earned those calories
0 calories left to eat + 500 earned calories

equals 500 calories I could eat if I wanted to, but if I do then my exercise is back to 0.

I wouldnt loose any weight then would I?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1500, and burn 500 at the gym, and don't eat them back, it's like you're only eating 1000 calories. It would be smart to bring that net total to 1200. This is because MFP sets you at a deficit to begin with, so eating back some calories is beneficial. It may seem contradictory, but one must eat more to weigh less!
  • dolcecantabile18
    Options
    Click on the goals tab! It lays it out for you pretty well.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you burn 500 calories, that would bring you down to 1,000 calories which is not safe for the human body. You always want to eat 1,200 calories or more. I always say that you should eat back at least half of what you burned.
  • jeffball
    jeffball Posts: 10
    Options
    This helped me a week or so ago when i asked the same, similar question. Check it out as it is quite informative and well written!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo