Hidden Calories

Options
Hi Guys, I read another thread in regard to not counting some foods eaten as they were of low calorie.

Now I count everything I eat as it must contain some calories and I like to know the exact amount of calories I eat so I can adjust daily or weekly to meet my targets.

For example:

Omega 3,6,9 - one capsule is 15 calories
CLA capsule is 20 calories
Glucosamine Suppliment tables 30 calories
Vitamine C tablet 15 calories

Now that's 80 calories right there add in another suppliment like Calcium, ZInc and Magnesium and you will be hitting 100 calories.

That's a lot of calories not being counted if these are not accounted for.

I take the above 3 times per day and it totals up to 240 calories.

Might not seem a lot but when people state I am counting my calories and hitting my targets but the weight is not coming off you might well be but probably over your targets by as much as 250-300 calories a day which only leaves 200 calorie reduction per day if all other foods were recorded correctly.

You end up with zero or very slow loss.

Replies

• TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    never thought of that. thanks
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    you can add these supplements into your diary and then they will be recorded
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    When I was sick with a bad cold and taking liquid cough medicine I discovered that there are a lot of calories in them....that's when I added a section for medicine on my diary.
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I count EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth. Even marinades and sauces. Some people might think that tracking the mustard on my wrap is nuts...but that mustard is calories...and I NEED to have a clear picture of exactly where my calories are going in order for my to succeed. If I don't track it...how will I know?

ETA: I lost 22 lbs between May 2011 and August 2011. I stopped tracking and gained it all back. I'm starting again and determined to stay the course.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    you can add these supplements into your diary and then they will be recorded

^^ This. There is nothing "hidden" about them, you just need to account for them. I count all my supplements because they add up to about 80 calories per day.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Fish oil and coffee both contain calories. Thanks for the tip on Glucosamine though.... I never thought of that one.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Somehow I doubt that dietary supplements will make or break your weight loss efforts.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Although all vitamins contain calories if you take them daily I wouldn't log them. It is one variable that you will not be changing. Whether you decide to adjust calories up or down eventually you will still be taking in the same amount of calories from vitamins every day.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I added a section in my dairy called "supplements" and another one called "Crap I shouldn't have eaten". I typically have more frequent entries under the "crap" section than the "supplement" section.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I take a daily gummy multivitamin but I don't log it. For me, it doesn't make that big of a difference, but to someone else it might, so just do what feels right for you about logging or not.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Certain things I don't bother logging. Mainly just gum and spices. A 5 calorie stick of gum and 3 calories from half a tsp of cinnamon are quite trivial.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    I added a section in my dairy called "supplements" and another one called "Crap I shouldn't have eaten". I typically have more frequent entries under the "crap" section than the "supplement" section.

Love this. I may have to steal the idea. And it would probably be my most used category.