Too Much cheese!

Options
I have noticed that I am eating too much cheese. It is so good with everything.

Is there a carb/protein less fatty alternative that tastes similar to it? Or melts like it? For topping on salad, in noodle casseroles, sandwiches, etc. (I say less fatty because i'm going over my fats with eggs in the morning and cheese in the afternoon...

Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheese tastes gross, in my opinion. Use less of the good stuff. If you opt for strong cheeses (sharp cheddars, blue, stilton, feta, parmesan reggiano, etc.) you can get away with using less.
  • swishandflick
    Options
    The Laughing Cow cheese wedges are only 35 cals each. No, they aren't quite the same, but they have so few calories that those with some light crackers or carrots or something give you the "feeling" of cheese.

Personally, I try and make my dinners or lunch light enough that I have room for the fattier cheeses. I typically buy cheese that I have to cut myself, so I'll just cut out exactly 6 cubes of cheese at a time so I don't go overboard.

Also, if you are a big cheese lover, cheese cubes are surprisingly delicious on their own even without any crackers at all.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that there is such a thing as too much cheese. :laugh:

I just plan my calories so that I have room to enjoy real, full-fat, good quality cheese.
  • meule2
    Options
    I am a huge cheese lover and have not figured out a way to do it right, so i just avoid cheese. One day a week i treat myself and splurge on some good nachos and that usually holds me over for the week.
  • bermudamel
    Options
    Babybel mini cheeses are good, I really like the lite ones, and Laughing Cow wedges in creamy swiss (the lite one) is really good in many things I have tried!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cheese. Like, A LOT. To me, it depends on what dish/meal you want it in. For instance, I've found that:

(1) Omelette: put avocado instead of cheese. Maintains that creaminess
    (2) Pizza/lasagna: if I make it at home, I use low-fat cottage cheese instead of mozza. Or a 50/50 mix of both. You loose the stringy strings that trail from the fork, but the taste/texture is the same in my opinion
    (3) Sandwiches: ... I've found no appropriate substitute. I just get used to using avocado or hummus instead as a flavorful sauce. Or eat tuna or egg salad instead, which I never liked with cheese.
    (4) Salads: I switched to very strong crumbled blue cheese or feta. A little goes a long way. Or avocado, if you need more of the creamy/fatty flavor
    (5) Chili: top with plain yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese
    (6) Hard shell tacos: tons of salsa and cumin, and I mix low-fat cottage cheese into the rice or meat after its cooked.
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump I LOVE CHEESE!!!
  • basscadet808
    basscadet808 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The only low fat cheese that I have found that tastes good and melts well is the Cabot brand. They have a variety of cheddars. The 50% less fat still melt well, the 75% less fat does melt but not totally worth it.
  • rougecrayon
    Options
    I LOVE cheese. Like, A LOT. To me, it depends on what dish/meal you want it in. For instance, I've found that:

I have not been able to cook with Avocado yet... would you fry it first? Or put it right into the egg?
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options

(2) Pizza/lasagna: if I make it at home, I use low-fat cottage cheese instead of mozza. Or a 50/50 mix of both. You loose the stringy strings that trail from the fork, but the taste/texture is the same in my opinion
    (3) Sandwiches: ... I've found no appropriate substitute. I just get used to using avocado or hummus instead as a flavorful sauce. Or eat tuna or egg salad instead, which I never liked with cheese.
    (4) Salads: I switched to very strong crumbled blue cheese or feta. A little goes a long way. Or avocado, if you need more of the creamy/fatty flavor
    (5) Chili: top with plain yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese

I love cottage cheese in my salads and also just for a snack but I've noticed that in a lot of the low fat and fat free brands, there is A LOT of sodium! Do you typically count your sodium? If so, do you know of a brand that has a minimal amount of sodium per serving? Right now I use Kraft Simply 2% lowfat small curd and I LOVE the taste! Tastes just like full flavor!
  • itsmelynn15
    Options
    I like the Cabot 75% FF sharp chedder.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Unless you are going over your calorie goal or not eating enough carbohydrates, then I don't believe it's possible to eat too much cheese.

I call shenanigans.
  • WBB55
    Options
    Do you typically count your sodium?

You can check my diary to see how it works out. I go over 2,500 some days. I average less than 2,000/day.

Honestly, when I worried more about sodium, I made my own farmer's cheese, so I could control the salt content. I'm THAT dedicated to cheese that I made it myself. You CAN lower the salt in cottage cheese a little by draining and GENTLY rinsing the curds in a sieve under cool water, then adding milk again to the container keep it a little moist.
  • WBB55
    Options
    I have not been able to cook with Avocado yet... would you fry it first? Or put it right into the egg?

I personally cook the egg, then when it's mostly cooked, just a little runny still, I top with vegies and avocado and whatever -- but don't mix it in. Put a lit on the pan for a couple minutes, then fold the omelet, replace lid for a couple minutes. Then EAT!!
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Sargento ultra thin cheddar slices on sandwiches at around 40 calories.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Try feta or goat cheese. I think those are less in something haha.. :) I love all cheese. Mmmmm
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump for the cheese alternative ideas!
  • williecruiser
    Options
    Just an fyi, if your out of avacodo, or want less calories, try cold well cooked asparagras instead. Wonderful on a sandwich or omlete.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that there is such a thing as too much cheese. :laugh:

I just plan my calories so that I have room to enjoy real, full-fat, good quality cheese.

THIS!!! There's no such thing!