Sports bras and working out/running in public

Options
As I was pushin' my 10 1/2 month old, 20+ lb baby in his joggin' stroller and joggin' yesterday, I started thinkin' about my summer runs and how ridiculously hot it was, even at 5:30 in the mornin'. Now that I have a child, and my husband works night shift and sleeps durin' the day, my runs will have to be later in the mornin' AND with my baby=hot, miserable, fully clothed mommy. But then I started thinkin' about how, once I start tonin' up, runnin' in shorts and a sports bra really isn't soundin' like a bad idea-except I live in a small country neighborhood, with families consistin' of 30 year old moms and dads, teenage boys and older (60+ year old) , conservative couples. I imagined the little ol ladies starin' out their windows and mumblin' about how indecent it is to be half-dressed out in the open, with a baby, mind you! :noway:
Should it be socially unacceptable for me to do this? Should I just tough it out, "fully" clothed? Or should I say "If ya don't like it, don't look!" and keep on a-truckin? Anyone else have this problem? What did you do? I wouldn't wear just a sports bra until the flab is gone..:sick:

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You should go for it! A sports bra covers more than most swim suits so I don't see them as indecent at all.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do it. When I was thinner, that is all I wore. I hope to be able to get back to that weight, and will run with only the sports bra. As long as it holds me in... :-)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    This topic comes up frequently; it's still no ones business. Some women have issues with it. Their issues are not mine and I could care less. My comfort levels that not even a wicking tee can provide on a 90+ degree day and 5-10 mile run means more to me than anyone's judgements or insecurities.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I imagined the little ol ladies starin' out their windows and mumblin' about how indecent it is to be half-dressed out in the open, with a baby, mind you! :noway:

it's better than having a baby.... in a bar. LOL!!!!

you could always buy a sports bra tank if you feel like you're going to be the "talk of the town" but not in a good way. they cover up more skin than just a sports bra but not as heavy as a sports bra and t shirt over.

now in my neighborhood the men would be thrilled at the sight of a woman running by in sports bra and shorts but i would not feel comfortable having them stare and i'm pretty sure my husband would have an issue as well. i live on the water and it's one thing to be in a bathing suit on the water but a whole 'nother story running in my neighborhood in an outfit that might as well be a swimsuit.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Anyone who judges you for this has obviously not run in 90+ degrees. I've still got a gut but the shirt comes off when it's too hot.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I have some very light long wicking tanks from Nike that I find more comfortable than being without a top because they keep the sweat away from your body
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT! :happy:
  • kbodnaruk
    Options
    I wear a sports bra with a tank top (or layer 2 tanks) over it just because I don't care for the way I look in just the sports bra....not to mention I have an Enell sports bra to hold these puppies in and they aren't the "cutest" sports bra to be flaunting around...LOL :)
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I live in one of those kinds of neighborhoods and wouldn't run in a sports bra but that's more "me" than the neighborhood. If you feel comfortable doing it then do it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I run in a sports bra in the summer. I don't see anything wrong with that. People wear bikinis at the pool that are more revealing.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    haha. I read this in my own little southern accent.

I say go for it. If it makes you comfortable, then why not? You have all the bits covered and it's far more modest than what some people wear. Who cares, anyway? :) As Mae West said, "Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often".
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My neighbor hood sounds just like yours. I see girls running in just sports bras all the time. I might hate them out of jealousy :) but I've never heard a complaint from any of our neighbors.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple years to get the nerve up to run in just a sports bra, but with temps at 80's marathon training this past summer, I decided no one was looking at some old lady running down the road anyway.
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have friend with a 6 month old baby and has started running again, with baby in pram. She has bought a pram especially for running, thicker wheels or something, so it's better for it.
  • thegirlnamedpearl
    Options
    If you don't mind, I say go for it. If its hot outside, people will understand why you're just in a sports bra! If it was winter, that's a different story :)
  • DigitalRain
    Options
    I ran today in one. Its HOT as hell here in the south and quite frankly I'm tired of burning up in this heat. I sweat a lot and even wearing a sweat wicking shirt or tank top doesn't help. Personally I dont care what other folks think any more abot this subject. I'm not going to suffer to make someone else feel comfortable.
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Let them think what they want in their homes, not working to better themselves like you are!
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I run in a sports bra when it's really hot.

It's none of my business what other people think about me.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread ......

but FU CK what is socially acceptable. Do what you want ma. Whatever makes you happy. Then again, running naked would be a bit much....so that being said..as long as you're not running naked I think ur a-okay,.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    On sunny days I prefer to keep covered with a lightweight/light colored shirt to keep the sun off. It's actually cooler than just a sports bra. Don't worry about others, do it if you're comfortable with it. Just be sure to wear sunscreen!