strength training without weights

Options
Hi My Fitness Pals!

I have recently been training for a half marathon, and while I enjoy running, I am aware that I should also be doing some strength training. I do not have access to a gym but I would like to start doing something at home. Could anybody give me some advice on whether it is possible to strength train effectively without weights - using my own body weight for example, and what sort or exercises I should be doing? Although I am not very overweight I have a lot of toning up to do and would generally like to be stronger in every area.

Thank you peeps!

:)

Replies

• treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Crunches, push-ups, squats.... if you can't buy weights you can make them with various bottles filled with water or sand to use as weights...
  • Brobious
    Options
    google "you are your own gym"
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    nerd fitness
    you are your own gym
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing a crossfit bootcamp and we only use our body weight for strength training. We use press ups tricep dips, bear crawls, crab walks, burpees, sit-ups, lunges, knees to elbow.....
  • Rosslifts
    Rosslifts Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    'Convict conditioning' and Charles Bronson's 'Solitary' both have cracking programes and are an Interesting read too. Charlie has one hell of a writing style it's hard not to giggle at half the ****e he says.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    nerd fitness
    you are your own gym

I'll second this one, and link you one better: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • CreativeFedora
    Options
    Here's a good resource for body only exercises: http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/551492-2o-best-body-weight-exercises/?utm_source=articlebottom&utm_medium=1

Many have already been mentioned in the thread, but the Livestrong page gathers the mall up in images.
  • camhughes84
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    See if you can get a cheap pull-up bar for a door frame. Pull-ups/chin-ups can work the whole body.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Yes - a pull-up bar is essential for bodyweight exercising. Try to find one that threads through the door and cams on the door post when you hang off it rather than the ones that rely on friction on the door posts - they slip whereas the cam type ones tighten onto the door frame the more you pull on them, so are safer.

Progressive Bodyweight exercising is addictive and just as effective as weights for gaining real strength.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm using the book Body By You (same author as You Are Your Own Gym which I was using previously) and I love it! It's quite a simple and quick programme and doesn't require equipment so it's really easy to follow. I also like the way the exercises are staged so you can move up in small increments as you get stronger.