Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Probiotic Supplement

I am looking to start taking probiotics again but I was wondering what probioics you took and did you notice a difference with use. I have used 2 different Vitamin Shoppe probiotics and I have also tried Align and then the Costco version of Align. I did not notice any improvments or change with taking these probiotics. I'm thinking maybe I have just not used the right one yet. I have IBS-C and they say probiotic supplements can really improve IBS symptoms.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Did you take some powerful antibiotics or anything that would have killed your existing flora? Did your doctor recommend a specific probiotic when they diagnosed you with IBS?
  • Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    I have had IBS for 10+ years and at the time the GI doctor just told me to find a probiotic...never any specific one. I have taken various one over the past couple of years but have never noticed any chance is anything. My system is so screwed..I have been on laxatives daily even before I was diagnosed but now I am trying to wean off them. I tried adding fibrous foods in my diet but that does not sit well with me at all so therefore I am trying to find a quality probiotic to hopefully improve things. I have IBS with a ton of food intolerance therefore I cannot improve my GI system with food alone.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    I add Kefir to my protein shakes. It's basically liquid yogurt with probiotics. I don't particularly enjoy yogurt, and I don't want to take yet another pill, so this seems to do the trick for me.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    I hear Culturelle is a good one but I have never tried it as it is really expensive where I am.

I take a daily probiotic because I find it helps my stomach. I feel less bloated, less stomach pains, etc. I tend to just buy whichever one is either on sale or cheapest (I usually go for store brands unless the name brand is on sale).

I believe most of them are the same except for the concentration of them.

A good friend of mine has IBS and a mixture of other digestive issues. She had great success with a minimally processed diet (ate tons of fresh fruits, veggies and lean proteins), drank tons of water and took a probiotic along with a suppliement called Ultra Fiber (I believe that's the name... made from fruits I believe... has apples and such on the label and it's in a white bottle).

Ensure you drink more than enough water as well.

Does your Doctor have any recommendations? A probiotic doesn't work for everyone. I would suggest going back to the Doctor and seeing what they recommend. I wouldn't go on advice from 10+ years ago.
  • Bluebox32
    I add Kefir to my protein shakes. It's basically liquid yogurt with probiotics. I don't particularly enjoy yogurt, and I don't want to take yet another pill, so this seems to do the trick for me.

I tried Kefir too ...I used it for quite a few months but it just messed up my system. I dont do well with dairy, beans, apples, pears, peaches, oatmeal, high fat meat, high fiber veggies (lettuce, kale, spinach, beans, cucumber, tomato), and egg yolk. There are other foods too but so many that they dont come to mind until I see them or someone mentions them.
  • Bluebox32
    I hear Culturelle is a good one but I have never tried it as it is really expensive where I am.

I take a daily probiotic because I find it helps my stomach. I feel less bloated, less stomach pains, etc. I tend to just buy whichever one is either on sale or cheapest (I usually go for store brands unless the name brand is on sale).

A good friend of mine has IBS and a mixture of other digestive issues. She had great success with a minimally processed diet (ate tons of fresh fruits, veggies and lean proteins), drank tons of water and took a probiotic along with a suppliement called Ultra Fiber (I believe that's the name... made from fruits I believe... has apples and such on the label and it's in a white bottle).

Does your Doctor have any recommendations? A probiotic doesn't work for everyone. I would suggest going back to the Doctor and seeing what they recommend. I wouldn't go on advice from 10+ years ago.

I have went back to the doctor and they just prescribed me a pill to reduce the cramping spasms I get from particular foods. Honestly I dont want to take any other prescription pills I rather take a supplement that is going to provide me with actual benefits.
  • now_or_never13

I have went back to the doctor and they just prescribed me a pill to reduce the cramping spasms I get from particular pills. Honestly I dont want to take any other prescription pills I rather take a supplement that is going to provide me with actual benefits.

Some prescriptions can help a lot more than over the counter do. Can you ask your doctor what type of over the counter suppliments would be best? A lot of over the counter suppliments (herbal, natural or not) are not regulated and may interact with medications your doctor has given you so it's best to speak with them about what you are planning on taking, what they suggest and find out if there will be any interactions between everything you are taking.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I have been on laxatives daily

<3 Honestly, I'd try to eat whole, normal foods for a while and cut out the laxatives to see if things have changed in the 10 years since you started. Things like plain yogurt (with "active" cultures), kefir, saurkraut, and kimchi are much tastier than supplements.

But I'm not a doctor.
  • now_or_never13
    I have been on laxatives daily

<3 Honestly, I'd try to eat whole, normal foods for a while and cut out the laxatives to see if things have changed in the 10 years since you started. Things like plain yogurt (with "active" cultures), kefir, saurkraut, and kimchi are much tastier than supplements.

But I'm not a doctor.

This or take a fiber suppliment instead of a laxative. Your body will become dependant on laxatives and there are tons of other options out there. More fiber and water will have the same affect but it may take some time for your body to respond as it is so used to laxatives.
  • rceberle
    rceberle Posts: 1 Member
    I have had pretty good outcomes with the probiotic Florajen. It is pretty cheap compared to the other probiotics I saw on the store shelves...however, it is refrigerated so you have to ask the pharmacist if you want to purchase it. You can buy it at most pharmacies, but I think they have a locator on http://www.florajen.com that lets you search for pharmaciees by zip code. You can download a coupon there as well.