Hi and an exercise question

Options
I downloaded the program on my iphone about a week ago, and just now got online. I wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself a bit. I am 32, and I decided to get serious about my fitness when I saw a picture of myself in the local paper. I thought, that can't possibly be me, I don't look like that. But there it was, the truth staring at me-and everyone else that would read the paper!

I've been using the iphone app for a few days, and I really like it. I love to cook and it is really easy to add recipes. It's easy to input the exercise and the numbers are all right there, front and center.

I do have one question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. When I input my exercise, the number of calories burned seems much higher than I would think. For example, I bike for 30 minutes, at a pace between 12-14 MPH. According to MPF, that's almost 500 calories burned. According to the monitor on the bike, I've burned about 200. Which one is right? How does MPF calculate calories burned? There's no data input on the bike except for heart monitors, but who knows how accurate those are?

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks
nicole

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    MFP's exercise database is kind of an average and if you hear from people who use HRM's, some of MFP's numbers are accurate and some aren't. I don't have an HRM, so I kind of "round" my numbers. If MFP says 30 min of running is 300 cal and the treadmill says 400, I go 350. Not really accurate, but it's worked so far and I can't afford to spend 100-150 dollars on an HRM at the moment, so...that's what I do
  • mjojenks
    mjojenks Posts: 1
    Options
    How many calories you burn depends greatly upon your weight. The CDC has a good website to check calories burned and so does livestrong.com. When I first started, 60 lbs ago, I burned 480 calories running 3 miles. Now, I only burn 340. Just look around and see what you think is the best estimate. If you do not input weight on the bike, its calculation is not very reliable.
  • ActSingMom
    ActSingMom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Invest in a heart monitor chest strap and wristwatch. Best investment for improving your fitness. Everyone burns differently depending on metabolism, weight, fitness level.