Not eating enough carbs?

Options
It is possible that you can plateau if you are not eating enough carbs? I started eating healthy on Jan 1st, but only started here about 2 weeks ago. I lost 10 lbs right off the bat, then 5 more over a week ago. But nothing since. I am pretty sure that I am not eating enough calories- usually have 300 or more left over. And on days when I am swimming, I usually have around 800 left over. But I also noticed that I am always WAY under in carbs. Do I need to bring that up as well as the overall calories? Most of my snacks are high in protein, and hence I usually go over in that department. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Carbs are non essential. As kong as you have enough protein I wouldn't worry about it. Your body will turn excess protein into glucose or run on ketones.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Protein is good to go over on the recomended amount on here is far too low. When studying my plateau recently I realized that I was losing when my carbs were higher so I have increased them and now I have more energy to exercise more and am losing again. Good luck to you.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I myself rely on a higher fat diet for that energy and calories. But, you will get many different opinions on this one.

I'd suggest experimenting and see what feels right for your body, and of course stay away from processed carbs like bread and crackers and stick with carbs through vegetables like sweet potato.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you can plateau if you are not eating enough carbs? I started eating healthy on Jan 1st, but only started here about 2 weeks ago. I lost 10 lbs right off the bat, then 5 more over a week ago. But nothing since. I am pretty sure that I am not eating enough calories- usually have 300 or more left over. And on days when I am swimming, I usually have around 800 left over. But I also noticed that I am always WAY under in carbs. Do I need to bring that up as well as the overall calories? Most of my snacks are high in protein, and hence I usually go over in that department. Thanks for any advice!

The target MFP gives you is what you should be getting being within 100+/- is much better than way under. That said, carbs are not necessary, though I do eat a lot of them, what you probably noticed at first was a lot of water weight loss, as carbs cause your body to store glycogen which retains water, low carb depletes these stores, so not as much water is retained.

I suggest you eat more and as long as you get enough protein and fat, doesn't matter how many carbs you get
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • rachlat
    Options
    Carbs are not the problem, the lack of calories are. If you don't eat enough your body will think you're going to starve and store what it can as fat so you won't lose weight. You have to feed your diet. You should not under eat by more than about 200 calories a day.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    I agree carbs are not the problem, it's the calories. If you keep running a deficit like you are your body will just hold onto the weight.