How Many Carbs Should You Eat to Loose?

Options
My doctor actually said to keep my carbs below 20 grams. I am hoping he ment per meal. Even with that I am having a tough time keeping it there and getting 1200 calories a day.

How many carbs are you eating and what is your theory behind it?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,974 Member
    Options
    That's all your Dr. said? Do you have diabetes, metabolic disorder, insulin resistance etc?
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Are you sure he said "grams?" That seems ungodly low. Could it have been 20%? I'd call and ask a nurse for clarification.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I strive for under 100(for no good reason at all)i believe it helps keep my pants loose!
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I find that eliminating bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice makes dieting SO much easier for me. When I stick to a protein and veggie rich diet my appetite goes WAY down, I have a ton more energy, and I don't have junk food cravings. It's also really easy to eat out. I just ask for extra veggies or a side salad instead of the potatoes, rice, etc. that typically comes with my meal. Also, just by eliminating those "quick carbs" you automatically eliminate a lot of empty calories from your diet.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    With such a specific recommendation, can he refer you to a nutritionist for sample meal plans or something? Please clarify with him whether he means your entire daily goal.

I eat over 200 g of carbs a day if I stay in my set 50%, but I often go over so I'd also have a hard time with this. If you aren't a vegetarian, I guess lean meats could really help. Also low-fat dairy. You'll have to even choose your fruits & veggies carefully but there are people who have completely cut carbs out so there are foods out there. Maybe look up Atkins meal plan ideas.

edit: I did a quick google search and the articles I came up with talked about super low carb diets CAUSING hypothyroidism and high "bad" cholesterol, didn't find anything about how it's beneficial for the condition. But that was just a random quick search, I would imagine your doctor has a reason for putting you on a specific diet. BUT it's important that you clarify exactly what the recommendation is.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This is what I follow (below), but because of your condition I would listen to your doctor over the amateurs here on Mfp.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/one_hundred_gram_carb_cure
  • TRDGilliam777
    Options
    Yeah, I know most folks on Atkins induction phase aim for 20 grams or less for 2 weeks! I will def lower your insulin levels & cause weight loss but Like the above poster depending on my workouts, I try to aim for under 100, 80, & 50. I go to the gym alot & not sure I can deal on 20 grams. You can cause after awhile your body will use fat for fuel but for a little while you might get some brain fog (not everyone gets it though). Also remember you can subtract fiber from the carb total :)
  • JudiGM
    JudiGM Posts: 7
    Options
    He probably meant 20 "net" carbs. Net carbs are total carbs minus the fiber. The 20 net carb goal is usually for the 1st two weeks and the you increase you carbs slowly. Check out the New Atkins for a New You book. It explains all this way better than I ever could. It is a great plan.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't worry that much about how many carbs you eat but what type of carbs you eat. You want your carbs from good sources like veggies and fruit. Not from bad source like junk food. There is my 2 cent :flowerforyou:
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would get clarification from your doctor. An apple has 15 carbs, a head of cauliflower has 20, 2 cups of a spinach/spring mix has 5 grams... point being carbs are in just about everything, not just breads.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,974 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism.
    That does make a little more sense. While there isn't really a diet that specifically helps that condition a low carb diet may help control your appetite. Ask your Doctor to elaborate and explain everything because if your taking medication there are certain foods that should really be avoided during medication etc.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism.
    That does make a little more sense. While there isn't really a diet that specifically helps that condition a low carb diet may help control your appetite. Ask your Doctor to elaborate and explain everything because if your taking medication there are certain foods that should really be avoided during medication etc.

Might be worth a try? "The Hypothryoid Diet" book.
    http://www.amazon.com/HypoThyroid-Diet-Lose-Weight-Fatigue/dp/1614480303/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358309393&sr=1-1&keywords=the+hypothyroid+diet
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I would recommend going back to your doctor for clarification.

To avoid high carbs, there are very little carbs (practically none but in reality there is some) in meat and cheeses. Problem is, those foods are more likely to be high in fat. I wouldn't eat a T-bone steak, but you might focus on heavy meat and cheese meals over pasta, bread, and potatoes. Be careful with starchy carbs (like potatoes) as those can spike your blood sugars longer.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Someone said "net carbs" and I agree. Net carbs is probably what your doctor meant. This means that if a food contains 5 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of fiber, the net carb impact is 3 grams. Carbs low in fiber get processed really quickly and leave insulin in your system which in turn makes you feel hungry again. Fiber slows down the digestion process. So fiber rich veggies are a great source of low blood sugar impact carbs. My doctor also reccomended a low carb diet. He said to make sure to eat a lot of veggies (in particular leafy greens, broccoli, etc) and to limit the amount of fruit I eat because some fruits are so high in sugar (like bananas). He also suggested eating a lot of lean meat and fish but said that I do need some fat so including red eat was ok as long as I wasn't eating it every day or at every meal.

The main pitfall of a low carb diet is that as soon as you go off it you will gain weight back unless you change your eating habits and continue to exercise, so make sure to bear that in mind.

Good luck!
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Atkins recommends under 20grams. But even then it's only for a limited plan. Best asking your doc.
  • JudiGM
    JudiGM Posts: 7
    Options
    I am trying to eat vegetables, but not a big fan of them. Do you have tips or secrets that will help me eat more veggies? Judi
  • BigSexy0_0
    Options
    bump
  • weight4wishes
    Options
    I have several friends that have successfully dealt with this issue simply through diet. Do not avoid carbs. I would seek out a nutritionist. Generally speaking, a doctor is not really a great source for "diet" guidelines... they're simply not trained in the arena of nutrition. Is yours Hashimodo's disease?
  • Yerblonde
    Options
    He probably meant 20 "net" carbs. Net carbs are total carbs minus the fiber. The 20 net carb goal is usually for the 1st two weeks and the you increase you carbs slowly. Check out the New Atkins for a New You book. It explains all this way better than I ever could. It is a great plan.

I agree, he probably meant net carbs. Go to the library and get the Atkins diet book and once you read the first 3-4 chapters it will make sense to you. It is easy to do once you know what you are doing.