What's your motivation

Options
There are over 60% of the population in the US overweight and obese. We spends billions of dollars on fitness stuff yearly, yet we are bigger and unhealthier than ever.
What's your motivation for doing this? Getting healthier? Taking control of your life?

Replies

• Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    More energy and less weight on my knees so I can still play soccer when I'm 70!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    My health and physical appearance, if I'm honest. When I look better, I feel better about myself. Feeling strong and healthy has the same effect.
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    To get healthier - AND for the FUN of the Challenge!!! :happy: I just had to see if I could indeed get into the "healthy category" of the weight charts...
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight as an adult until this past winter. That was motivation enough for me. I've gone from 155lbs (5'4") to 130lbs (still 5'4") in the last 4 months and couldn't have done it w/out MFP. I still have about 10lbs to go, but it feels do able now. I've lost 25 lbs and have never felt better!!!
  • htebaram
    htebaram Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Tired of always being the biggest person in the room and not being able to move the way I want too.:flowerforyou:
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For me it's getting healthy first and foremost. I believe I had/have developed sleep apnea over the past few years and I didn't want to have to sleep with a contraption over my head and face. I was also tired of feeling tired and worn out all the time and not having the energy to do anything. So. Here I am. Almost 40 pounds lighter. I am already feeling tremendously better and have no intention of letting myself get so out of control again.
  • hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm very competitiveand a total perfectionist. Those may not be flattering reasons, but they're honest. :)
  • chessie11
    chessie11 Posts: 52
    Options
    Well, let's see...

1. For better health and fitness - especially to walk without puffing.
    2. To be a better picture of good health for my kids... they're athletic (like I used to be) and I want them to honor good health and fitness.
    3. To get back within my ideal weight for my height.
    4. To wear heels without the extra weight and discomfort on my legs.
    5. To have a flat tummy again... last seen 8 years ago before my daughter arrived!:grumble: :happy:
    6. To wear a bikini again and throw away the coverup and that large one-piece with the little skirt thingie.
    7. And... to get back into a Size 7!:bigsmile:

Awesome question!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I do not have the mind of a fat person: I should not have the body of a fat person.
  • Doctorcb
    Doctorcb Posts: 31
    Options
    Sounds good to me
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My motivation..... Well for one.. I have had weight issues my whole life... Now I am almost 32 and REALLY discusted with how I look. SO for one, I am getting married to the most wonderful man in the world, two, I am graduating from college with my masters and want to be happy with my self going to interviews. Plus the biggest motivation is that since I am so over weight, My dr refuses to help my become pregnate unless I am off blood pressure pills and at a healthy weight.. I want a family more than anything.. I exersize all the time now but still have my weakness.. One being i love junk food, the other, I am a night owl... which is not GOOD.... This is what keeps me going, and trying I am down 15 lbs.. BUT have a long way to go

Thanks for asking:bigsmile:
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Check out the pics of my kids, that my motivation, my children. I want to have a long full life with them and their kids and maybe even their childrens children. Thats my main motivation. I also just want to feel good and not worn out and I want to be sexy for my hubby. :wink:
  • chessie11
    chessie11 Posts: 52
    Options
    @pixistick - That's perfect. I will keep that in my thoughts from now on!:smile:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    My back hurts.... I have heartburn.... none of my cute dresses and skirts have fit in years.... my dad and grandma both have type 2 diabetes/high cholesterol/high blood pressure....

And I love pixiestick's comment!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mandipandi2010
    Options
    My motivation is LIFE! I never knew how much I was missing! Another motivation is the fact that God has blessed me with an amazing man whom I want to have a family with. With a family comes responsibility and leadership. What kind of example would I be setting for my children or my partner for that matter if I continued to live this way? Not a good one thats for sure!

My choice is life.....and I wanna make it a good one!

Mandi:heart:
  • mandipandi2010
    Options
    My motivation is LIFE! I never knew how much I was missing! Another motivation is the fact that God has blessed me with an amazing man whom I want to have a family with. With a family comes responsibility and leadership. What kind of example would I be setting for my children or my partner for that matter if I continued to live this way? Not a good one thats for sure!

My choice is life.....and I wanna make it a good one!

Mandi:heart:
  • psmith64
    psmith64 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Definately health reasons - I want to live to see my children have children, and enjoy some retirement after working hard all my life.

Being unfit is not something I want to go back to, I realised I missed out on so much fun activities over the years when I was obese.

Paul
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I never had an issue with weight until I had my babies. Then it wasn't an issue, just had to lose the weight I gained during pregnancy. Before that I was always in shape, I have always worked out 5-6 days a week at the gym, I've always eaten healthy and I've been a runner for about 11 yrs (was a casual runner, now I'm into marathons). I hated feeling frumpy and fat and squishy and jiggly! I'm much happier when I feel strong and look lean. I like working out hard and sweating! I enjoy feeling healthy! And the bonus, I like to feel comfortable in a bikini, tank tops and shorts! I'm motivated by results, which is why I workout so hard!
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    My motivations keep growing each day!

For now they are the following:

My children - I want to live the fullest life with them and give them a proper model to follow.
    Myself - I don't want to miss out on anything else...I've missed out on enough already.
    My husband - He deserves a happy, healthy, beautiful partner in life. :smile:
    Anyone who has doubted me and said really awful things to me in the past....I want to prove them all wrong.
    For others - I want to inspire others that they can do this!