What to use to calculate BMR?

Options
Someone earlier in the week suggested that I use: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

However, the number that gives me is close to 200 calories lower than what MFP gives me. Which one is more accurate?

Replies

• Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use the tools at fat2fit, but I started with the Military Body Fat calculator first, then put my info including bf% into the BMR calculator. Seems accurate enough - I've been eating according to the results I get from that site for almost a year, with great results.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think you may have done something wrong. Are you talking about your BMR or maybe how many calories you should eat to lose? Your BMR should never be less than what MFP shows but your TDEE calorie goal is most times higher than MFP. What are your stats, age, sex, weight, height, activity, how many pounds per week you want to lose. I or one of us will do it and see if the numbers are the same
  • Schmidty102
    Options
    I redid my measurements. I had a family member help me with them the other day, but they were off.
    I am 18, 66" tall, 177lbs, Neck 15", Waist 35", and hip of 42"... which came out to 21.2% body fat. I am lightly active. I workout almost every day, but I generally eat back all of my calories.

Any help on calculating my BMR? Also, which is better - the Harris-Benedict or the Katch-McArdle Formula?

Right now I want to lose about 1.5lbs a week for the next 2 months or so. Then I will cut it back to about 1lb a week.
  • jscupp1016
    jscupp1016 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you’re a man, your BMR is equal to: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years). For example, if you’re 170 pounds, 5’11”, and 43, your BMR is 66 + (6.23 x 170) + (12.7 x 71) – (6.8 x 43) = 1734.4 calories.
    • If you’re a woman, your BMR is equal to: 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years). For example, if you’re 130 pounds, 5’3”, and 36, your BMR is 665 + (4.35 x 130) + (4.7 x 63) – (4.7 x 36) = 1357.4 calories.
    Next figure out your total daily calorie requirement by multiplying your BMR by your level of activity:
    • If you rarely exercise, multiply your BMR by 1.2.
    • If you exercise on 1 to 3 days per week, doing light activity, multiply your BMR by 1.375.
    • If you exercise on 3 to 5 days per week, doing moderate activity, multiply your BMR by 1.55.
    • If you exercise 6 to 7 days per week, doing vigorous activity, multiply your BMR by 1.725.
    • If you exercise every day and have a physical job or if you often exercise twice a day, multiply your BMR by 1.9.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    fat2fit website recommends to use the Katch method. Using that I got 1735. They say you must never eat below your BMR so if MFP is telling you to maybe you should use a different method or manually adjust the calorie goal.

Just to see what your calories should be I went on to use the TDEE portion of it

you said you were lightly active:

Light activity feels easy. Here are clues that your exercise intensity is at a light level:
    You have no noticeable changes in your breathing pattern.
    You don't break a sweat (unless it's very hot or humid).
    You can easily carry on a full conversation or even sing.

Moderate activity feels somewhat hard. Here are clues that your exercise intensity is at a moderate level:
    Your breathing quickens, but you're not out of breath.
    You develop a light sweat after about 10 minutes of activity.
    You can carry on a conversation, but you can't sing.

To lose 1.5 pounds a week, lightly active has you at a calorie goal of 1814, If you are actually Moderate your calorie goal would be 2045.. And you would NOT eat your exercise calories back. To eat more you would have to increase your exercise level.

Hope this helps
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    If you’re a man, your BMR is equal to: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years). For example, if you’re 170 pounds, 5’11”, and 43, your BMR is 66 + (6.23 x 170) + (12.7 x 71) – (6.8 x 43) = 1734.4 calories.
    • If you’re a woman, your BMR is equal to: 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years). For example, if you’re 130 pounds, 5’3”, and 36, your BMR is 665 + (4.35 x 130) + (4.7 x 63) – (4.7 x 36) = 1357.4 calories.
    Next figure out your total daily calorie requirement by multiplying your BMR by your level of activity:
    • If you rarely exercise, multiply your BMR by 1.2.
    • If you exercise on 1 to 3 days per week, doing light activity, multiply your BMR by 1.375.
    • If you exercise on 3 to 5 days per week, doing moderate activity, multiply your BMR by 1.55.
    • If you exercise 6 to 7 days per week, doing vigorous activity, multiply your BMR by 1.725.
    • If you exercise every day and have a physical job or if you often exercise twice a day, multiply your BMR by 1.9.
    bump_zps74acf963.jpg
  • Schmidty102
    Options
    Would you say I am safe to eat 1800 calories, and eat back my exercise calories on the days I exercise? Or should I eat back about half? I obviously don't want to eat too few calories in a day. And yes, with doing about 2-3 miles of walking/jogging on the treadmill every day I would say that I would probably be more moderately active then.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    I redid my measurements. I had a family member help me with them the other day, but they were off.
    I am 18, 66" tall, 177lbs, Neck 15", Waist 35", and hip of 42"... which came out to 21.2% body fat. I am lightly active. I workout almost every day, but I generally eat back all of my calories.

Any help on calculating my BMR? Also, which is better - the Harris-Benedict or the Katch-McArdle Formula?

Right now I want to lose about 1.5lbs a week for the next 2 months or so. Then I will cut it back to about 1lb a week.

Actually, as far as accuracy, the MIFFLIN ST JOER calculation is the most accurate. Go ahead and research that....That is what MFP uses to set your intake.This site does a really good job if you are honest and not too aggressive. The problem with any of these calculators is that you need to be realistic and honest.

Unless you are more than 75 lbs overweight, set your numbers to "Lose 1 pound per week". If you have less than 25 lbs to lose, use "Lose 1/2 pound per week."

If you have a job, go to school, or care for children at home, you are NOT Sedentary. Adjust accordingly ( again, use the wizard here honestly.)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Harris Benedict or Katch McArdle formulas

Harris Benedict is based on height, weight and age and is accurate for most people

Katch McArdle is based on body fat percentage and weight

Katch McArdle is slightly more active, but unless you have significantly more or less lean body mass for your height, it doesn't make a lot of difference. For example, I have a lot of lean body mass for my height, as in I'm right at the top of the BMI range for my height at approx 22% body fat. In spite of this, Katch McArdle only puts my BMR at 50 cals higher than Harris Benedict.
  • boyleb
    Options
    MFP has me at around 1560 a day for calorie intake but I rarely get that high. I'm never extremely far off but I usually get to around 1400 plus I then exercise 5 times a week. Should I be making myself eat more or do you think that since it's not that far off it's not that big of a deal? Just wondering because you had the advice on never eating below your BMR, which I also calculated from the equation posted above and got 1536 so MFP was pretty acurate.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Actually, as far as accuracy, the MIFFLIN ST JOER calculation is the most accurate. Go ahead and research that....That is what MFP uses to set your intake.This site does a really good job if you are honest and not too aggressive. The problem with any of these calculators is that you need to be realistic and honest.

I disagree, Mifflin St Joer miscalculates my calories by a couple of hundred. My maintenance calories are 1800-1900 cals/day, based on actual real world results.

Using the same activity factor for each one (which reflects my actual activity levels)

Miffin St Joer predicts I'd maintain at 1668 cals/day

Katch McArdle predicts I'd maintain at 1878 cals/day

Harris Benedict predicts I'd maintain at 1834 cals/day

Katch McArdle and Harris Benedict predict what's actually happening in terms of my real world results. Miffin St Joer underestimates my calorie burn by a lot. Of the 3, I think Katch McArdle is closest, because what I eat in a day is usually closer to 1900 than 1800 cals/day. (that's based on when I was tracking calories for maintenance, my weight was stable eating these numbers of calories).
  • Schmidty102
    Options
    Fat 2 Fit gives me the following for my BMR and TDEE.

Harris-Benedict Formula: 1885 Calories for BMR
    Katch-McArdle Formula: 1735 Calories for BMR

For TDEE:
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 2262
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2592
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2922
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 3252
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3582

I have currently been eating 1800 net calories, but gross calories has been closer to 2000 or 2100 on most days. I want to get down to about 170lbs by middle of March. Once I hit that mark, I will only want to lose about a pound a week till mid June. Would you say I am safe at this calorie count, or should I up my calories to 2100 and just not eat back calories?
  • Schmidty102
    Options
    bump
  • Schmidty102
    Options
    bump