Nutritionist worth it?

Options
I'm SLOWLY starting to get my head around my lifestyle change, where I'm aiming for healthy rather than just skinny or whatever. So ideally I'd like to know what I should be eating. My question is this, is going to see a nutritionist worth it? It's quite expensive here in the UK, so it's something that I would only be able to do like a one off. Would it be worth it to see what works for me? Or are there websites out there that can give you nutrition advice? Does anyone have any experience with going to see a nutritionist?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Your better off researching online than the scope of information your going to get from 1 session.
  • maa59115
    maa59115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree, you can tons of free information online. It just takes time to find out what's good for you because everyone is different.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    Think natural food... like the paleo or dash diet. Limit processed foods. No soda, mainly water or unsweetened beverages. Think what would a caveman eat... and then eat that. In the cereal isle, focus on cereals that are 4 grams of sugar or less. Anything more is just sprinkled topping. Focus mainly on veg, fruit and protein. Limit carb. So if you eat mash potatoe at dinner, it should be the smallest portion on your plate...followed by lots of veg, and then the protein. Easy enough eh?!
  • weight4wishes
    Options
    Yes... I work with many nutritionists and you will get what you pay for. I don't recommend learning via the internet... there is more misinformation that fact. Trust me, you'll become overwhelmed and confused with all the contradictory points of view. I would see a nutritionist and just be honest with them... that your budget won't allow for repeated visits and that you're hoping for the best advice inside of one appointment. Perhaps she will steer you towards a few sites that are based on fact on not opinions.

I will congratulate you on your "lifestyle" approach versus "diets". It's worked wonders for me too. "10kaday" has some great points about avoiding soda and increasing your protein intake however, I suggest simply avoiding all packaged cereals.. they are just cardboard inside cardboard. Oatmeal is the best option for breakfast... great stuff. Make sure you take a protein supplement (Whey protein only... absolutely NO SOY) and explore intermittent fasting. Clinically proven to be the best way to burn fat, increase muscle and improve overall health.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Yes... I work with many nutritionists and you will get what you pay for. I don't recommend learning via the internet... there is more misinformation that fact. Trust me, you'll become overwhelmed and confused with all the contradictory points of view. I would see a nutritionist and just be honest with them... that your budget won't allow for repeated visits and that you're hoping for the best advice inside of one appointment. Perhaps she will steer you towards a few sites that are based on fact on not opinions.

I will congratulate you on your "lifestyle" approach versus "diets". It's worked wonders for me too. "10kaday" has some great points about avoiding soda and increasing your protein intake however, I suggest simply avoiding all packaged cereals.. they are just cardboard inside cardboard. Oatmeal is the best option for breakfast... great stuff. Make sure you take a protein supplement (Whey protein only... absolutely NO SOY) and explore intermittent fasting. Clinically proven to be the best way to burn fat, increase muscle and improve overall health.
    lol.............all packaged cereals are cardboard within cardboard, oatmeal for breakfast, no soy, protein supplements, avoid soda. It's the internet which will free someone from this kinda nonsense and misinformation...as opposed to 1 persons opinion on what nutrition is or looks like. Not that you haven't done nutritional research, it's just you have preconceived notions that are not tempered with in depth research, which again is all on the www for free.:smile:
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I saw one and it helped me change my eating habits big time. Lost 10 lbs in the first two months.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm SLOWLY starting to get my head around my lifestyle change, where I'm aiming for healthy rather than just skinny or whatever. So ideally I'd like to know what I should be eating. My question is this, is going to see a nutritionist worth it? It's quite expensive here in the UK, so it's something that I would only be able to do like a one off. Would it be worth it to see what works for me? Or are there websites out there that can give you nutrition advice? Does anyone have any experience with going to see a nutritionist?

If the nutritionist is a registered dietician they can be very helpful over time. But you need to see them routinely to get personalized advice. Without regular consultations and monitoring you will only get generalized advice, which you can get online for free.

This is my favorite web site for general nutrition advice: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

You can also get the general recommendations the American Dietetic Association online at http://www.eatright.org/
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of information online but I would caution you to make sure you are looking at reliable sources. There is a lot of conflicting and misinformation floating around on the internet. I would recommend looking at research information from certified nutritionists and dietitians. If you can afford to meet with a nutritionist in person, I would think that would be the best possible starting point. That gives you a two-way conversation with a professional – they can ask you questions and you can ask them.
  • weight4wishes
    Options
    I would love to hear your take on this.
  • weight4wishes
    Options
    Can I get your take on my suggestions... might be a bit more constructive that simply ridiculing them.

lol.............all packaged cereals are cardboard within cardboard, oatmeal for breakfast, no soy, protein supplements, avoid soda. It's the internet which will free someone from this kinda nonsense and misinformation...as opposed to 1 persons opinion on what nutrition is or looks like. Not that you haven't done nutritional research, it's just you have preconceived notions that are not tempered with in depth research, which again is all on the www for free.:smile:
  • viccigb
    viccigb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a nurtritionist since 9/16/12. Without her, I don't think I would have lost what I have so far. For me, a lot of it is about accountability. I see her about every 3 weeks and we go over what I've eaten and things I can change up if I'm struggling or getting bored.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I saw one for a while and I didnt feel it really helped me at all. I can honestly say tho during that time in my life I wasnt ready for a change and think It was just a waste of my money. Today however, I believe I would get a lot out of a couple sessions with one :)!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

If the nutritionist is a registered dietician they can be very helpful over time. But you need to see them routinely to get personalized advice. Without regular consultations and monitoring you will only get generalized advice, which you can get online for free.

This is my favorite web site for general nutrition advice: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

You can also get the general recommendations the American Dietetic Association online at http://www.eatright.org/
    [/quote]

This.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Can I get your take on my suggestions... might be a bit more constructive that simply ridiculing them.

One of the biggest missteps in nutrition is the belief that certain food should be avoided or bad for us. Dissecting nutrition into good and bad has generated a huge diet industry around the world but especially in the USA. For example you saying oatmeal was the best option for breakfast is not realistic. Maybe it's your alternative to eggs, bacon, toast and coffee, that you feel is less nutritious, I don't know. When I was in France and Italy breakfast was a croissant, preserves and a latte or espresso, pastries and some fruit. The other side of the world it's steamed rice, fish, congee, miso soup, raw egg etc.....And while a protein supplement might be effective at increasing intake, it certainly doesn't equate to whole foods with their matrix attached for overall better nutritional comparison, especially when considering a deficit where the most nutritionally dense calories are best. Basically eggs, steak, fish, yogurt have other synergistic and micronutirent benefits that a protein powder won't and can't supply.....etc. I'm not saying your answers are wrong, just that there are other solutions that may not be as confusing in it's singularity as pointing blame.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I see a RD (registered dietician) once a month right now. When I started I saw her several times in one month to go over medical history, family medical history, etc. in order to get an idea of how to approach my weight loss. We also did some tests to determine factors such as RMR, BMR, etc. before starting. She then helped me decide which way to go on my weight loss. I see her once a month now to "check-in" and see how I'm doing, ask questions (though I also ask by email anytime) and make changes to my diet and nutrition if needed.

She also works hand-in-hand with my MD so that we can stay on top of medical issues and with his help, she's even found a way to get my health insurance to pay for part of my visits to her.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The thing worth it at an good nutritionist is not the actual advice.

It's the blood test you make to see what really is missing from your body in terms of nutrition: are you too `acid` (consuming to much protein), have you got low calcium/mineral levels, have you got some kind of intolerance (maybe a small one only causing bloath, not some big issues), etc.

Our bodies work different, and while some nutrition facts are true for most of us, some of us may not get what they really need from common sense information.

Again, you may not need an expensive doctor to read some blood tests, but sometimes only a nutritionist can corelate numbers in a truly significant way. As far as I know, some test are also expensive, like those for food intolerance.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you are going to spend the money go to a dietician not a nutritionist, anyone can claim to be a nutritionist with no training or degrees.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    If you can afford it and if you find a good one, a nutritionist is definitely worth the money! I worked with one a few years ago for a few months and I learned so much from her. The first meeting was a 1.5 hour long consultation session and then I met with her weekly. I also have an eating disorder and she used to be a psychotherapist so we talked about my eating issues, but mostly, we went over my food diary for the week and we talked about food and nutrition. I loved working with her because it was like having a nutrition coach. She held me accountable for all the food choices I made and taught me a lot of things about food and nutrition. I feel that I have a better grasp of nutrition than the average person from working with her.
  • opaljade15
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, it's much appreciated and I'll definitely look into it. :)
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I saw one nutritionist and was all excited because she seemed to really understand where I was coming from. I believe that if I could keep working with her, I would be successful about finding ways to eat healthier, but I can't afford to see her as she works at a hospital and it costs a fortune. I met with another nutritionist who I felt didn't listen to me and made me feel like I wanted to give up.

So, take the first appointment as an interview as to whether this nutritionist is going to be helpful or not for you. You need to find a good fit to be successful.