whey protien

Options
Brandzilla
Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
I've been replacing my lunches with a Whey protien shake (made with 2 scoops instead of one per instructions for meal replacement), skim milk, and a spoon of peanut butter. I read about the benefits of the whey protien after workout and the shake leaves me feeling full and satisfied until dinner, but packs about 400 calories...could I gain weight from doing this?

Replies

• nyprdiva
    nyprdiva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just curious...why do you use 2 scoops instead of one? Also, whey does carry some fat but you should be counteracting that with your workout.
  • wendylady123
    wendylady123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Was thinking about this. Maybe this'll help, but try doing half (one scoop) and then doing fresh fruit with it instead. Less calories per gram and will fill you up.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, you can gain weight from it if it causes you to be taking in more calories than you are burning. If you are keeping within you calorie goal, I don't see why it would cause you to gain weight.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Hmmmm. Was thinking about this. Maybe this'll help, but try doing half (one scoop) and then doing fresh fruit with it instead. Less calories per gram and will fill you up.

It has been my experience that a bit of fat with the whey helps keep me satisfied longer since whey is typically supposed to be a quick-digesting form of protein. I would leave some peanut butter in for meal replacements (or look into casein protein) and save the fruit for a post-workout shake. It might not make a big difference to you insofar as keeping you full, but I feel like it does for me.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, you can gain weight from it if it causes you to be taking in more calories than you are burning. If you are keeping within you calorie goal, I don't see why it would cause you to gain weight.

I agree with this. If your maintenance is 1600 and you are having 5 of these 400 cal drinks a day then you would gain weight. If you have 4 you will maintain :)

That is a pretty solid amount of cals for one drink though. When I mix a whey shake I will make 500ml and use 250ml skim milk and 250ml of water. The stuff I use is 110cals per serve so probably similar to yours. 110*2=220 + milk (100ish) + tbsp PB 100cals. You would be getting some pretty serious amount of protein in that.
  • Brandzilla
    Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well I use two instead of one for a meal replacement. It says use one for your recover shake or in between meals. I'm not having shake in addition to meals. I think I'll make it the same but omit peanut butter and use some fruit instead and see what happens. That should shave about 90 cals off right there.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm OR there are other brands of shakes that are lower in cal's for meal replacement. I Use one from GNC that is only 180 cals and I mix it with water. It's creamy and tastes really good. You can still add fruit or a touch of peanut butter too...

Again, if it's lower than your cal goal, it shouldn't be a huge issue.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Well I use two instead of one for a meal replacement. It says use one for your recover shake or in between meals. I'm not having shake in addition to meals. I think I'll make it the same but omit peanut butter and use some fruit instead and see what happens. That should shave about 90 cals off right there.

Why do you want to replace a meal?
  • questionablemethods
    Options

Why do you want to replace a meal?

I do this sometimes when I am stuck at school or longer than I thought or haven't had a chance to get to the grocery store and my choices for breakfast are protein shake or spend a lot of money somewhere on campus to get a gross/bad for me breakfast.

That said, there is nothing magical about the recommendations on the bottle to use two scoops for meal replacement. I'm guessing their target market is guys who are looking to bulk up and, as such, would need a higher calorie meal or meal replacement. You can certainly cut back on the calories by reducing it to one scoop if you want.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I don't see a reason for you to be having a 400 calorie meal replacement shake. Keep the peanut butter but leave a scoop. My whey protein shake has 25g protein and wouldn't think of having 50g at one time! If it's not keeping you full, throw some nuts in...or eat an actual meal.