*girls only* (that time of month)

Options
Uf... Am I the only one who gets horrible cramps? :( Even worse if I try to workout.. which sucks... cos I just got into a nice workout groove, was feeling great... them bam! Cramps...

Also am I the only one feeling extremely tired at this time? I could literally sleep 15 hours straight.. and I feel de-motivated to do anything.. And my mind crosses over to not-so-healthy cravings... Waah :( (does anyone know how to deal with tiredness?)

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You could be anemic, resulting in the tiredness. Do you take a multivitamin with iron?
  • nookeetoone
    Options
    No but I've been eating a lot of spinach lately for this reason.. trying to see if it might fix it.
  • fitgirl4x48
    fitgirl4x48 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I get tired one month, then I can't sleep the next. Ugh. I have found that taking that multivitamin with Iron to really help & if you need to rest, then allow yourself to rest ~~it's okay you will be back at it in no time! As for the cramps...my oldest daughter uses aromatherapy, vitamin B and light exercise. ***good luck!!**
  • deep220
    deep220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use to have the same issues... cramps so bad they really kept you from doing anything... moody.. no energy. My Dr recommended a low dose birth control. It's been about 5 years now and I never have any of the complaints that I use too. You should bring it up during you next appointment and see if they have any recommendations for you.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I was always extremely lethargic for two days before my period. I had horrible cramps, too. Do you take ibuprofen?
    My periods were absolute hell every month. They'd throw me off course every month! And I wasn't even anemic. I had a hysterectomy in November and got rid of my demon uterus.
  • hailsmac82
    hailsmac82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was always extremely lethargic for two days before my period. I had horrible cramps, too. Do you take ibuprofen?
    My periods were absolute hell every month. They'd throw me off course every month! And I wasn't even anemic. I had a hysterectomy in November and got rid of my demon uterus.

Hahaha demon uterus! Love it!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If you think you might be iron deficient then get your iron levels tested before taking a supplement. Too much iron can be bad for you. Also the iron in multi vitimins isn't usually that effective so I would reccomend a separate supplement. My Doctor also started me on birth control so that I can skip TOM which can help with anemia. I eat really well (including a **** load of spinach) but no red meat and was still severely iron deficient. As an active female you're in a high risk catagory for defficiency so it's definitely worth getting a blood test done
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I would get that way during that time of month. Is your flow heavy? Then try taking a low dose Aspirin to help. Hot tea always helps too. I used to have serious cramps and PMDD. I talked to my doctor about being put on birth control to help control that. Ever since then my flow hasn't been as heavy and I barely have cramps. If you aren't ready to take that step then watch what you eat during that time of month. Stay hydrated. Keeping active should keep alleviate some of the pain, so if you can muster through it do so.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I do get tired around that time. I have actually found my workouts to help alleviate the cramps - Advil helps too. :tongue:

To boost your iron, eat some Cream of Wheat or other iron fortified cereal several times a week. I always do that about a week before I donate blood and it keeps me from falling below their minimum requirements ever time.