Overnighters, any suggestions?

Options
I am returning to work tonight. I was working second shift the past three years, but now that I have a daughter I am doing overnights because daddy works days and I have the job that offers the options of shifts. I am looking for suggestions on eating, working out, and all that jazz. The last time I worked overnights I didn't do very well, I ate all the time or not at all, and I never worked out because it seemed I was always sleeping. I also only opted to work four days a week because I hope the days off will let me get some sleep because having a one month old doesn't guarantee me sleep anyway. So any mother's with suggestions I'd appreciate those too.

I figured since my schedule is going to be crazy I'd continue to eat breakfast lunch and dinner, and just eat breakfast when I woke up, lunch around four hours later, and dinner during my "lunch" on overnights. I also figured I'd make lunch my heaviest meal (as it should be anyway) and than bring a sandwich or something for lunch.

I also debated just eating at home and bringing my "snacks" for my lunch. Like a banana, an apple, and a granola bar or something. Since I normally do not eat at night, I am not sure I want to change my body into the habit of eating especially since it will only be four days a week that I will be at work.

Replies

• sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I used to work a lot of nights and it really through me for a loop. I found that I had to have a good balance of carbs and protein through the night or I wouldn't make it. What worked for me was eating about 300 cals of carb/protein (that ended up having fat too) every 3-4 hours. I found I could handle the sleep deprivation a little better with more fuel, but it may slow down the wt loss.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    You're going to end up having to change your schedule pretty drastically if you expect to stay awake and alert through your shift. What worked best for my husband was to wake up a couple hours before his shift, eat breakfast, head off to work. He'd stay awake for a few hours after he got home, take the first shift of care and play with our baby and then head to bed when she went down for nap. On his days off, it was really rough for him to try to adjust to "normal" hours.
    Best of luck! Treat it like you would a day shift, and you should be fine. The hardest part will just be adjusting to being sleep deprived, which is going to kill your motivation to work out. Maybe try to get in a workout as soon as you wake up?
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I'd rather slow the weight loss down, then fall asleep on the job lol
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That was my thought at the time as well!! Just keep it balanced. Go with healthy whole foods and more emphasis on protein and fat then carbs and you should be fine :)
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    You're going to end up having to change your schedule pretty drastically if you expect to stay awake and alert through your shift. What worked best for my husband was to wake up a couple hours before his shift, eat breakfast, head off to work. He'd stay awake for a few hours after he got home, take the first shift of care and play with our baby and then head to bed when she went down for nap. On his days off, it was really rough for him to try to adjust to "normal" hours.
    Best of luck! Treat it like you would a day shift, and you should be fine. The hardest part will just be adjusting to being sleep deprived, which is going to kill your motivation to work out. Maybe try to get in a workout as soon as you wake up?
    thought about that. but baby girl eats every four hours still so i pretty much sleep when she does and work out when i can now. i tend to work out in the morning because i sleep my two 3 hour naps overnight. i just worry that i wont be able to sleep at all when she starts sleeping normal. my fiance works 7 to 4:30 or 5p for OT... not much room for sleep if shes awake
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    That was my thought at the time as well!! Just keep it balanced. Go with healthy whole foods and more emphasis on protein and fat then carbs and you should be fine :)
    true. perhaps the hard part will be getting in the workout
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Working overnight is really hard on the body. I hope you can find some way to work around that. I think just eat like you're talking about--whole foods, get carbs from veggies and a bit of fruit. Not sure what to suggest about working out. Perhaps before you go to work each night? Or on your lunch break at work? Can you do it after work, early in the morning?