body media

Does anyone have body media ? I don't really understand this thing. I hooked it up a couple times yesterday to my computer to get the info, then it was showing my calories burned on here and then my last up date for the night, then my calorie burned was gone. If anyone have one that can give me some feed back that would be great.

thanks

Replies

• sunnya7
    sunnya7 Posts: 15 Member
    Hopefully someone can give me some info :)
  • vickieblair
    vickieblair Posts: 21 Member
    I have one and love it. I had some problems figuring out in the beginning. The sleep pattern will be from the night before. Make sure you click on today, or a specific date at the top of the activity manager. You can also click to the left of each item and it will drop down with more detailed information. Good luck!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Sorry, I haven't had any problems with mine not working. I just plug it in, wait a couple seconds and the site opens on its own with the updated information.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Hmmm. Not sure which one you have. I sync mine various times during the day. MFP has my TDEE somewhere around like 1650 cals (because I put my activity level at sedentary), but my bodymedia knows my TDEE is usually 1800-2000 because of exercise. So it seems that when I sync it at the beginning of hte day, even on a rest day, it adds say 200 cals to my cal goal for exercise automatically, until I sync later in the day and it sees the trend is not going in that direction (ie, I've been sitting at my desk all day instead of moving), so those exercise cals are adjusted lower.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    I've been wearing one for about a month now and I really like it. I'm going just put a bunch of info out there and if you have questions on any of it just ask and I'll try to answer those.

When you connect to Bodymedia to your computer it syncs up to the computer; uploads the current data to their site, starts charging the battery and opens up the main page of the Bodymedia Activity Manager. You will see seven categories on the screen in the window. Each category has a little down arrow (upside down triangle) that allows you to expand that section. The categories are:

Calories Burned, showing you your calories burned today and a guestimate of how many calories you will burn for the whole day. If you expand this section you see a nifty chart showing your minute by minute burn. There are two sliders at the bottom that let you select just a specific chunk of the day to look at if you want.

Calories Consumed, showing how many calories you've entered for the day. For me this is auto imported from MFP. If I expand this section I see the meals I logged for the day (but not the individual food items) and a customizable breakdown of nutrients. It showed Calories, Carbs, Fat and Protein by default and I added cholesterol and sodium to mine. Activity Manger yells at me every day that I eat too much sodium. Poor Activity Manager.

Calorie Balance, showing how many calories you should eat for the rest of the day to meet your goal for your daily deficit. There's no option to expand this one.

Physical Activity, showing the total minutes you have spent this day not being a couch potato. When you expand this section you get a bar graph showing when during the day you were active and if it was moderate or vigorous. I have only been vigorous once since I started wearing the band. They either set the bar high or I am just not a role model for exercise.

Steps taken, showing how much you moved that day. Expanding this gives you a nice bar graph as well showing when you took your steps.

Sleep duration, showing how long you slept last night. Expanding it shows you a color coded chart of when during the night you were sleeping vs just lying down vs actively moving.

Weight, shows your last logged weight and has a box to enter your current weight. Expanding this shows you a graph of all your entries plus a projection of when you will hit the goal you entered into the system if you meet your goal each week. I wish you could hover over the graph and get a projected weight and date for where you are hovering but it only shows the projected end date based on your goal. If I do an eyeball guess it looks like I should hit 200 pounds in November but if I put my house on that spot the mouseover box just says 170 pound in Feb '14.

At the top of the interface is Today's date and forward and backward buttons that let you move back and forth through your history so you can see what you did on any recorded day.

There's also some tiny text you can click (bad design) that takes you to reporting and exporting. The PDF report that it spits out is pretty cool looking though.

I hope some of this helps you.
  • sunnya7
    Thanks everyone for the infor :) I guess I just have to keep wearing it and get all the bugs works out
  • sunnya7
    I have the link one...The only problem I have a guess is I sync it in the morning and then I sync after my works out then, then everything post right on both... then when I sync it at night everything on the body media but then it show nothing on mfp. maybe I am sync to much? today I have just sync in the morning then not going to do it again until bad and see what happens
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    I have the link one...The only problem I have a guess is I sync it in the morning and then I sync after my works out then, then everything post right on both... then when I sync it at night everything on the body media but then it show nothing on mfp. maybe I am sync to much? today I have just sync in the morning then not going to do it again until bad and see what happens

Do you have MFP set to accept negative calorie adjustments? If not, and your BM monitor thinks you have worked less calories than what you entered into MFP with will just take off what it put on and show zero calories. If you have worked less with the negative calorie adjustment turned on, you will see a negative recorded from BM. I hate when it does that, but it lets me know that maybe my exertion wasn't as much as the average MFP considers it to be.

Also, BM doesn't read well when your doing station bikes and other things where just your lower half is moving, so I have learned to take the monitor off my arm and put it on my ankle when I want to ride. Works great that way.
  • sunnya7
    (Do you have MFP set to accept negative calorie adjustments) Just did that today maybe that was my problem :)
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    i dont have one.. just read a bit about them, since im considering getting one..
    my understanding is that you have to pay 6.95 per month for access to the data collected
    are you paying the monthly costs?
  • sunnya7
    how many hour in the day do you wear yours, do you try to for 23 hour a day? do you sleep in it?

Yes, paying the monthly cost but when you get it you get 3 month free..