Breathing while running - newbie

Options
2»

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I use to run cross country in high school and I think the key to preventing lung-and leg-fatigue is breathing more fully. When you take deeper breaths, you use more air sacs in your lungs, which allows you to take in more oxygen to feed your muscles.
    One way to make the switch easier is to work on belly breathing when you're not running, and the skill will eventually carry over to your running.

This!

When I started running I would even practice belly breathing while watching TV! By moving your belly, rather than ribcage, out when breathing you really pull the diaphragm down, getting plenty of oxygen into your lungs. Yoga exercises are good for learning this, if you have a chance.

I prefer to breathe through my mouth - only got a little nose and can get more air in through my mouth (which, some people would say, is too big!).

I also time my breathing when running - so try taking long, slow, steady, deep belly breaths rather than short gasps from your upper chest (so easy to do when feeling out of breath and exhausted). I usually do a count of five for each breath in and out.

And... when I started running I was constantly gasping for breath and thought I would never get to grips with it. But I have - and so will you. It's perfectly normal to be struggling a bit at first - you're learning a new skill and once you've got it you will have it for life. Not to mention your heart and lungs will adapt and get stronger, so helping your breathing.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    There is no special way to breathe.

To quote the legendary New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard, when asked how runners should breathe, “Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can.”
    This
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If I think about my breathing, it gets all kind of messed up.

What works for me is to run at a pace that slow and controlled enough that I could mouth the words to whatever music I'm listening to.

Lip readers would have a field day with me.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

What works for me is to run at a pace that slow and controlled enough that I could mouth the words to whatever music I'm listening to.

This^. I do this too.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say - heavy breathing through my mouth also warns people strolling along in the park where I run that I am coming up behind them and going to overtake them (verrrrryyyy slowly as I shuffle past!)
  • KittyKarma31
    KittyKarma31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your tips! I really appreciate the support and advise. I will try to slow down a little and I think that once some more of the weight comes off it will start to feel easier and more natural. :)
  • youn2948
    Options
    I did Track/CC in High School with asthma I didn't know I had until college, so I know breathing sucks.

I usually go with music or only as fast as I can get oxygen in.

As far as a trick to use is 1-3 quick breaths in to fully expand your lungs then a slower controlled breath out to keep breathing from getting too sporadic or wheezy.
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump--

I have been wondering the same thing for a long time. Glad someone asked and there's such great advice here! I never liked running in junior high school, especially when they sent us outside to the track early in the morning when the grass was still crispy and frozen. I'd get about half to 3/4 of a lap before I doubled over not able to catch my breath and would finish the 20 minute weekly "run" at a brisk walk. Nothing like getting lapped by the varsity athletes in PE class to turn you off from running for 15 years. This gives me hope that if I take it slow maybe I can try C25K this spring. :)
  • thegirlnamedpearl
    Options
    Congratulations on starting C25K!

My suggestion for you is to slow down, and run conscientiously while breathing ... take into account how you're breathing as you're taking each step and go at a nice easy pace to start. You don't want to push yourself where it feels like its too difficult to breathe, but you want to feel like you need to "catch" it. In time, your body will get used to it and you'll be able to regulate your breathing better as you train. Good luck!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    its hard but it gives you something to focus on while running so think of it as a positive

Concentrate on your breathing and form while you are running and if either starts to fall out of line, slow down and reposition yourself

I have been running a few years now (nothing crazy just 5Ks) and its still hard for me because i've got pretty bad asthma. I really have to concentrate so I dont end up gasping for air